News & Rumors: Xbox One (codename Durango)

Status
Not open for further replies.
They've already confirmed they are investigating PC to XB1 streaming. Concerns seemed mainly around variability in PC configs, encoding overhead on top of gameplay being the expensive end, and providing a consistent experience in a supportable manner.

They've already confirmed they are investigating PC to XB1 streaming. Concerns seemed mainly around variability in PC configs, encoding overhead on top of gameplay being the expensive end, and providing a consistent experience in a supportable manner.
Wouldnt that be like cannibalizing XB1 software sales which will carry the higher profit margins?

Why would MS care? It's the PC owners' responsibility to ensure their PC can provide the experience they want.

Why would MS care? It's the PC owners' responsibility to ensure their PC can provide the experience they want.

Agreed. Your multiplayer experience is dependent on your connection which MS has no control over. Nevertheless that doesn't stop MS from offering the service.

I am currently seriously considering getting back into PC gaming and I am intrigue by the ideal. One box per TV servicing two platforms across three rooms (Xbox in living and son's bedroom with a PC in the office) would be a pretty streamlined setup for me. If MS could pull off the ability to offer crossplay titles that supported both PC and the Xbox1 through the Xbox marketplace, it would offer a very compelling experience.

I don't want to have to deal with the requirements of running additional streaming devices including wireless XB1 controller hubs to my living room or my son's room and deal with manually syncing controllers everytime I want to PC game in somewhere other than my office. Nor do I want to have to buy and house 360s or some other third party controllers to avoid the above scenario.

4K in the office and 900p/1080p everywhere else with minimal fuss would suit me just fine.

Last edited:
The MS view is that Xbox is a brand, and you want it to be associated to quality experiences. And by extension steer away from situations that could cast the product in a negative light; as media and the internet tend to care little as to the reasoning behind why something doesn't work well.

Agreed. Your multiplayer experience is dependent on your connection which MS has no control over. Nevertheless that doesn't stop MS from offering the service.

They go through tremendous lengths to do what they can to ensure a positive experience in that regard, from negotiating QOS contracts with ISPs, to standards and TCO's minimizing network requirements, matchmaking services to find best peers and hosts, cloud infrastructure, net compression and security, automatic testing and metrics, router detection for UPnP and NAT, etc, etc, etc.

Wasn't saying they won't do it. Just the main reason they may not. If they feel like they can enable reasonable controls to ensure it works well in the majority of cases you will probably see the feature.

^ Too bad 360's as end streamers never became a thing for the X1, that would have been pretty cool as well.

Yeah, considering that they are still supporting and rolling out updates (with new features) for X360, it'd be fantastic if allowed the XBO to stream games to the X360 as well as PC. It'd allow some families to have the XBO in the main room, with an X360 in another room with which they could also play XBO games.

Regards,
SB

The MS view is that Xbox is a brand, and you want it to be associated to quality experiences.
If they are moving XBox as a brand to PC, they basically can't maintain this unless they exclude PCs not of sufficient quality. PC streaming is going to be a 'geek' activity anyway, used by the informed, core gamer who'll be suitably educated the way things are by the internet.

Putting it another way, XBox allows other experiences from other suppliers without going through the XBox brand. When you view Netflix, you get the Netflix experience. Streaming from a PC will likewise be a non-Xbox activity, unless MS decide to call it 'XBox Stream' or something. Call it "PC stream", run a warning at the start as appropriate, "your platform does not meet the minimum requirements and may provide a less than ideal experience," and they don't need to worry about trying to get PC streaming working well on every PC (an impossible task!). Also, call it Beta indefinitely. ;)

Yeah, considering that they are still supporting and rolling out updates (with new features) for X360, it'd be fantastic if allowed the XBO to stream games to the X360 as well as PC. It'd allow some families to have the XBO in the main room, with an X360 in another room with which they could also play XBO games.

Regards,
SB

I would love it if MS allowed streaming in both directions. It would mitigate some of the market's desire for backward compatibility with XB1.

OT: Is it me or is the internet becoming harder to search? More and more unrelated crap appears these days in relation to searches. I know there's details out there on exactly the data being sent by DS3 and DS4 controllers, but can't find it. Google was rubbish. Bing was laughable. It's as if the search engines are now optimised for the mundane, low-brow, shopping focussed user.
Well, first it was Microsoft, then Intel and now Google, but yes, searches nowadays are full of crap and lots of interested results. European Union has opened a legal case for abuse and market search dominance of Google.

http://www.cnet.com/news/google-faces-european-charge-it-abused-search-dominance/

I prefer to use Bing because it is minority but Google is still the king at some searches. Still... I hate being tracked and how banners appear on pages when I make a search on whatever thing, like speaker, headphones, etc etc. So... try this engine, it doesn't search you.

Duck Duck Go come to me!

https://duckduckgo.com/

On a different note, there are rumours of a Xbox One slim being released by the end of the year.

Xbox-One-Slim-Concepto-600x375.jpg

I would have bought a Slim without a drive the first time around, they only disc game I own is Skylanders. Have not even used a Bluray in a long time either. Maybe they have data that shows our usage patterns and a slim without a BD makes sense now that the install base is getting larger?

I would have bought a Slim without a drive the first time around, they only disc game I own is Skylanders. Have not even used a Bluray in a long time either. Maybe they have data that shows our usage patterns and a slim without a BD makes sense now that the install base is getting larger?

That image (I imagine it's a fake) still shows an optical drive slot. I'd have gladly purchased an XBO without an optical drive (as I've stated before) if one had been available. But I'm not about to purchase another one just to have one without. :D As I currently only use it for fitness programs (Ryse is still the only game I've ever purchased for it). And the size is a complete non-issue for me. The virtual silence I have with it is far more important to me. I doubt it's possible, but if they could make a completely fanless XBO, I'd be interested in something like that.

Regards,
SB

That mockup aesthetics (design) looks far removed from the original XB1 boxy design. Usually the first two redesigns (slim models) tend to have some familiar similarities with the original models. This mockup looks like a whole other concept...

On a different note, there are rumours of a Xbox One slim being released by the end of the year.

Xbox-One-Slim-Concepto-600x375.jpg

You think they would pay attention to scale of console to the controller because thats an awful big Slim or the XB1 controller is mighty small.

That mockup aesthetics (design) looks far removed from the original XB1 boxy design. Usually the first two redesigns (slim models) tend to have some familiar similarities with the original models. This mockup looks like a whole other concept...
Like other forumers suspect, the image is probably fake. Do you remember the first Slim redesign of the X360 for instance? I think it wasn't in any way similar to the original Xbox 360. The PS3 had a few similarities, for instance, but a friend of mine has the original PS3 and nothing could replicate that super large, monstrous console.

Just copy Steam?
How so? Do you mean the stream part? I don't get it. You might have a point there though, because I think MS are using the Xbox brand to build their own Steam, now that they are going to be slightly more PC friendly, it seems.

Wouldnt that be like cannibalizing XB1 software sales which will carry the higher profit margins?
It depends on your personal needs. But if you have a good enough PC I wonder why you will be using the Xbox One to stream a game from the PC?

From personal experience, PC to Xbox One streaming is a feature I'd love to have because my main PC is a rather average laptop with a i5-2450m CPU and the Intel HD3000 GPU where I usually play games that can be played at your own pace like adventure games or games like Heroes of Might and Magic or RTSs, and Baldurs Gate, Temple of Elemental Evil, Nox, Icewind Dale 1 and 2, etc etc.

I've also calibrated my TV using the Xbox One as a reference and I rather prefer to play my laptop games on my 32" full HD TV than on the native 15" laptop display.

Do you remember the first Slim redesign of the X360 for instance? I think it wasn't in any way similar to the original Xbox 360.

The XB360 slim looks quite similar to the original XB360... its the super slim model that diverged somewhat.
2422450-xbox_360_35791989_35791991_35789091_35791992_01_610x436.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back