GTA V on PC

It is the GTA interface asking if I wish to quit once the benchmark finishes, the only options being Yes or No.
Yeah, it's buggy. It's also funny when you try to run bench before finishing the prologue stuff

Ima wait at least a couple weeks for patches before purchasing. I rarely buy games on release day any more since most of the time there are super obvious bugs that any idiot could spot if they ever actually played the game before shipping it. Not saying that's the case here, it's just a general rule that works pretty well for me.

Hey Malo what CPU do you have and what settings do you have to turn down to make the game smooth at 60fps? I think you and I have fairly similar PCs. Wondering if 3.5/4GB VRAM is enough for max at 1080p.

I have an i5-3570k @ 4.4ghz. I'm currently running everything maxed apart from tessellation and ambient occlusion I believe (both on High), with FXAA/4xMSAA/TXAA. Under Advanced I have the 3 options off with the distance sliders at 50%. On the benchmark I pull around 40-60fps (vsync on full) @1080p for playing on the TV. According to GTA that's around 3.2k VRAM usage.

Switching to 2xMSAA nets me almost constant 60fps but I get the weird jerking as the core clock slows down/speeds up.

Cool, then we have basically the same system (I have a i7-3770K @4GHz). GTX970 rocks :)

When you say the core clock goes up and down, do you mean the GPU or CPU? If GPU, you think it might be a power limit thing or something? I've always had my GPU power limit set to 110% since I bought this 970 so I dunno what kind of difference it makes, but it's possible that the card is more stressed at 2xMSAA so it hits TDP limit and downclocks or something.

Ok, so headlights...
Do all of them cast shadows, or only those of the car you're driving? And do headlights cast shadows from static geometry or only from interactive objects? (as in GTAIV pc)

I have an i5-3570k @ 4.4ghz. I'm currently running everything maxed apart from tessellation and ambient occlusion I believe (both on High), with FXAA/4xMSAA/TXAA. Under Advanced I have the 3 options off with the distance sliders at 50%. On the benchmark I pull around 40-60fps (vsync on full) @1080p for playing on the TV. According to GTA that's around 3.2k VRAM usage.

Switching to 2xMSAA nets me almost constant 60fps but I get the weird jerking as the core clock slows down/speeds up.

What the hell would it take to max out every detail setting if you're having to cut back that much with a GTX970! Crap I'm still running a GTX680 and was hoping to play the game in 3d Vision!

So this is just as poorly optimized as gta4 was?

According to this article it actually runs very well on max settings on a wide variety of cards, but this is with MSAA off. So it sounds like MSAA/TXAA are performance hogs. Other than that it looks like the game is very well optimised and scales beautifully. The digital foundry article is going to be extremely interesting but I'm going to guess that at equivalent settings the 7870 is going to give a very good showing compared to the PS4.

http://www.gamersnexus.net/game-bench/1905-gta-v-pc-fps-benchmark-graphics-cards

So this is just as poorly optimized as gta4 was?
It seems very well optimized actually. Rockstar will allow you to tweak the graphics to insane levels that will bring even a GTX980 down, but if you stick to sensible settings it should run great on a wide variety of hardware.

It seems very well optimized actually. Rockstar will allow you to tweak the graphics to insane levels that will bring even a GTX980 down, but if you stick to sensible settings it should run great on a wide variety of hardware.

This is the best of all worlds IMO. I really hope people don;t start complaining about being unable to max out the games graphics on whatever setup they have. As far as I'm concerned all games should offer the ability to max out high end dual rigs provided lower settings give a great experience on more modest hardware.

The steam forums etc. are full of complainers about performance, but these are idiots who are expecting too much out of their system. Rockstar have done an amazing job with GTA V for optimization and settings. This is just like when Crysis came out though, you need extremely high end systems to max out the game. In all my decades of PC gaming only a handful of games (discounting cfg files) have provided the amount of options in the graphics settings. They even place some of the graphics options into Advanced to further iterate that those are above and beyond even the very high settings. How many games offer several shadow settings in addition to vendor specific methods?

Unless you have the game with a high end system, you won't really know just how well Rockstar have done with this GTA on PC.

This is the best of all worlds IMO. I really hope people don;t start complaining about being unable to max out the games graphics on whatever setup they have. As far as I'm concerned all games should offer the ability to max out high end dual rigs provided lower settings give a great experience on more modest hardware.

I think a big problem is that so many benchmarking sites are obsessed with benchmarking the games on relatively modern hardware and high/maxed settings.

Last edited:
I guess if it's possible to turn the settings down to last-gen console settings an 8800GT should be able to run the game, considering 8800GT is way faster than the XBOX 360 or PS3 GPUs.

Now I want to drop it down to minimum levels and see what it looks like. It would be interesting to see how much it scales down.

The steam forums etc. are full of complainers about performance,

This annoys the hell out of me. On the one hand people will complain that PC games are held back by consoles but when a game comes out that doesn't hold anything back they whine because their PC's can't max it out. if anything it's people like that holding back PC graphics rather than consoles.

If GTAV can run at 30+ fps at PS4 graphics settings on a 7870 as it does appear to be able to (although DF will no doubt confirm) then it's a very well optimised game.

I have virtually everything maxed out, and performance is butter smooth for me. :mrgreen:

I loved the PS4 edition, however the PC edition is in another league of its own.

Back