Sony VR Headset/Project Morpheus/PlayStation VR

Close enough without a magnifier? No. But for a setup like VR where the screen cover your FOV, and if the pixel count is low enough (and the gap between pixel/subpixel is large enough) then yes.

I guess Housemarque will do a VR game for Microsoft then or is it a diversion :)

/Edit change Sony to MS, brainfreeze for moment there

Presumably the game they're making with EJ is gonna be VR now.

I've just spun through that video. What suggests the target company, MS or Sony?

The 360 hdd caddy? :D ... with a dreamcast controller ... zomg! joint ms/sega console!

Sony seems more likely given HMs recent history? Jarvis was using a ps4 pad on that recent eurogamer video iirc, not that that's really proof of anything I guess...

Not actually Project Morpheus related but the head-mounted thing reminds me of VR... I watched today in the news that a Russian company has created a bike helmet called LiveMap, with built-in GPS navigation, among other features.

Not actually Project Morpheus related but the head-mounted thing reminds me of VR... I watched today in the news that a Russian company has created a bike helmet called LiveMap, with built-in GPS navigation, among other features.
Lots of these products are being developed by many different companies, including google glass, and sony's own upcoming AR products. VR and AR have different applications and different hardware requirements for the display.

AR adds visual elements over the real world image and has limited application in console gaming. Wearability and optics requirements limits the resolution and FoV.

VR makes the user feel in a virtual world, which is very much the ultimate goal for gaming. They call it presence, and it's the exact opposite of AR. The high resolution and wide FoV makes them huge and impractical for AR.

I guess Housemarque will do a VR game for Microsoft then or is it a diversion :)

/Edit change Sony to MS, brainfreeze for moment there
wow..... :D April's Fools?

Lots of these products are being developed by many different companies, including google glass, and sony's own upcoming AR products. VR and AR have different applications and different hardware requirements for the display.

AR adds visual elements over the real world image and has limited application in console gaming. Wearability and optics requirements limits the resolution and FoV.

VR makes the user feel in a virtual world, which is very much the ultimate goal for gaming. They call it presence, and it's the exact opposite of AR. The high resolution and wide FoV makes them huge and impractical for AR.
I wonder what would be considered Real Life FOV. 180º?

I am not yet sold on any of them. and I favour wearability for now. I'd love to be immersed in ways detaching me from the real world, although in VR it seems to be a completely fabricated world for you to inhabit, which can be an advantage. AR being a blend of virtual and real, as long as the glasses are unobtrusive, has the advantage to me of making you fully aware of the real world.

That's to say, I expect VR equipment to feature both video and sound, and high res plus super high framerate, which can't be done with AR, while with AR I can still listen to phone calls and take a look at my surroundings.

I kinda like how it works seamlessly between real life and VR, my only gripe being that he doesn't see his own hands.

Sony want PS4 feature requests and feedback for Project Morpheus, and they have an engineer solely dedicated to that, among other things.

http://www.dualshockers.com/2015/04...sts-on-new-ps4-features-and-project-morpheus/

.@toshimasa_aoki works on new PS4 features and Project Morpheus. You can send Toshi your feedback and requests, that will help us. :)

Another patent from SCE which mentions eye tracking and display the real world on the HMD display (which would need both external and internal cameras on the headset). That's a pretty big hardware change to Morpheus, so maybe PS5 stuff... but it would make it a much more versatile HMD.

http://www.freshpatents.com/-dt20141211ptan20140361976.php
In one embodiment, a method includes an operation for tracking the gaze of a user wearing the HMD, where the HMD is displaying a scene of a virtual world. In addition, the method includes an operation for detecting that the gaze of the user is fixed on a predetermined area for a predetermined amount of time. In response to the detecting, the method fades out a region of the display in the HMD, while maintaining the scene of the virtual world in an area of the display outside the region. Additionally, the method includes an operation for fading in a view of the real world in the region as if the HMD were transparent to the user while the user is looking through the region. The fading in of the real-world view includes maintaining the scene of the virtual world outside the region.

In another embodiment, a method for managing the display of images on a head mounted device (HMD) includes an operation for detecting a command to acclimate a user to the HMD. In addition, the method includes an operation for presenting a view of the real world on the display as if the HMD were transparent, and an operation for adding a virtual element to the view of the real world in augmented reality mode. Further yet, the method includes operations for fading out the real-world view from the display while maintaining the virtual element on the display, and for fading in a virtual-world view around the virtual element.

Another patent from SCE which mentions eye tracking and display the real world on the HMD display (which would need both external and internal cameras on the headset). That's a pretty big hardware change to Morpheus, so maybe PS5 stuff... but it would make it a much more versatile HMD.

http://www.freshpatents.com/-dt20141211ptan20140361976.php
That's a good workaround for people who want or need to see the real life stuff when immersion needs to be paused or you could have a PiP like view with a toggle off/on option, with which you could know what's happening in your RL surroundings while being fully immersed in a game.

It seems they want to slowly crossfade real/virtual image to avoid headaches.
2014036197620140361976-00000010.gif

Back