Best 3D Software for Particles, Fluids, Dynamics, Materials, and Rendering?

I'm interested in:
- Richness of features
- Speed/ease of use

What I know:
- Maya -- Longtime industry standard, but feature-rich and harder to use/less productive.
- Modo -- Excellent modeling tools, though I don't know much else.
- Cinema 4d -- Reasonably priced, easy to use, full-package 3D product, though I'm assuming this comes at the cost of some more advanced features (like those in the topic of this discussion)?
- Blender -- Free and well-rounded, but hard to use and lacking in some of the areas of this discussion.
- 3ds Max -- I actually don't know how its strengths compare to the others in this aricle (if you care to inform me, please do).

Some background:
- I already know how to model/work in 3D, and have been dabbling in it for a few years at least.
- I've dabbled with most of the software on this list, but not extensively.
- I'm primarily interested in creating beautiful stills, and leveraging the powers that animations/physics/particles can give me for this (kind of like a 3d "photographer").
- At this point, I am willing to invest $ into these products, so that isn't really an issue.

Any & all thoughts are appreciated! Thanks much.

Autodesk 3ds max and softimage have a Free student/learning edition
3ds max is sort of maya but for games so it could be easier to use plus it comes with Mental Ray.

Povray is also free
ADOMPYP.jpg

Last edited:
Pros tend to use different programs for different things. Pretty much all the common options for mesh modeling and animation have been already mentioned. A sculpting program is also good to have. These give better results for organic modeling. Some options: zbrush, 3d coat and mudbox.

If you are doing movies or stills, you also need a production renderer and post process software. I don't know much about these, since in the games industry we feed the models and animations to our internal engines.

I mean it has similar features but is more aimed at game creation rather than movie production
all autodesk products have a free learning edition download them and see what you prefer

Back