just a subwoofer

I have a machine that monitor, KB, and mouse reside on a small desk with a hutch and is cluttered in what little room is left over. The monitor has a optional speaker bar attached to it which isn't that bad except for the bass. I was wondering if anyone knows of anyone selling just a powered subwoofer (with built-in crossover) for computer speakers? So it would be computer to subwoofer using standard headphone connector, subwoofer to regular computer speakers using standard headphone connector. Nothing fancy... preferably ~$60 tops.

Thanks in advance.

Do you even get an actual subwoofer for $60 tops? :) It's going to be a pretty weak and flimsy sub at that price I would think.

More or less any active sub in the price range should fit your bill I would think, just make sure it has that crossover knob, and then arm yourself with a 3.5mm-to-phono plug Y-cable (very common piece of hardware) and you're set. Go to a well-stocked hifi store; PC subs strongly tend to come with satellites as 2/4/5.1 systems, and they're probably going to be crappier quality too. Or, at least I have never heard or seen of a stand-alone sub marketed directly at the PC computer market; such a thing might exist, but finding it (and finding it of sufficient quality) would be a bother compared to just getting an active sub in the right price range. :)

I'm still using a Logitech Z-5450 setup for my PC, and it has served me quite well for many years. It can't touch my Sonos setup as far as quality goes, but it's compact and convenient. Sub is completely wired into the custom system module of course, so once something breaks in either of those two I'll probably have to toss the whole thing, meh...and Logitech doesn't make 5.1 systems with wireless rear speakers anymore either. :(

Rather than trying to piece-meal it together, just buy a decent speaker kit that already has a sub.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00BXF5HQ8

For $45USD you can have a matched kit, which will likely end up sounding better than your "soundbar" and will also have sufficient bass to make you happy.

I believe the issue is a lack of any space whatsoever on his hutch desk.

I believe the issue is a lack of any space whatsoever on his hutch desk.
Lower frequencies require larger spaces, if for no other reason than physics ;)

If you're speaking more about the satellite speakers being "too big", I'm not sure that that it can be avoided. Within the budget assigned ($60 USD) there really aren't any powered subwoofer options that aren't intended for 12VDC (ie: car audio that would require an AC-DC converter and sufficient capacitance to not overrun the unit during a big thump.) A quick perusal of Amazon suggests that $90 is essentially the pricing floor for a standalone, AC-powered subwoofer ignoring the 3.5mm -> RCA and also 3.5mm splitter.cables necessary to connect it.

The subwoofer goes on the floor though out of the way behind the desk. Satellites need to take up room on the desk.

I'm just stating the OPs specific reason for looking for just the subwoofer.

No argument, but I"m stating that his requirements cannot be met within his currently stated physical and budgetary limits. If he can manage to extend one of those limits, his options will improve.

:)

Grall - I looked into 'regular' subwoofers but they're to big for the space leftover on the floor, the tower is on the floor.
Albuquerque - As Malo stated there is no desk space for satellites, and the $60 limit was not set in stone... so any suggestions without the budget limitation, taking in account the above response to Grall?

Two options I thinking about is:
a. buying a 2.1 setup with small, light, thin satellites that I can mount with double sided foam tape or if they have mounting holes see if I can mount them behind or above the monitor. Any suggestions?
b. I currently scouring the internet in search of speaker mounts that attach to a monitors vesa mount holes. (although I'm not sure if the monitor has vesa mounts... have to check) FYI they have them for TV's.

@Infinisearch
A sub doesn't have to be right nearby your listening position. Quite often that is in fact not the ideal position for a sub! You can stick it somewhere else in the room where there is room for it, and assuming it has sufficient power, it should still deliver low-frequency tones to you. :)

A trick I read about which more hardcore hifi people than I use, is to place the sub at your seating position (your PC computer chair, in this case), play something bassy on the speaker, and then crawl around the floor of the room, listening for the best bass response. Then you pick up, and re-place the sub there, and you're set.

You could also go for a set of decent powered studio monitor speakers (and they tend to have screw hangers or threaded mounting holes) and you probably won't even need any el cheapo sub because the woofers would have enough range to give similar bass performance as a small, terrible computer sub. Downside is, these tend to cost a couple hundred bucks for a pair if you want anything of any kind of quality.

Up to a point you get what you pay for with speakers. Above that point, you pay for ridiculousness and delirious fantasies... ;)

You could also go for a set of decent powered studio monitor speakers (and they tend to have screw hangers or threaded mounting holes) and you probably won't even need any el cheapo sub because the woofers would have enough range to give similar bass performance as a small, terrible computer sub. Downside is, these tend to cost a couple hundred bucks for a pair if you want anything of any kind of quality.
;)

But, a couple hundred bucks is cheap.
That's all about expectations or need/want. Would you want to buy a $60 bicycle?, probably not. A $200 bicycle? That's relatively expensive, but if you did get some amazing quality, ease of maintenance etc. of it that would be very cheap.

BTW this http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA6AB2F27989 is basically what I'm working with at the moment. An older and I think slightly less powerful model IIRC.

A sub doesn't have to be right nearby your listening position. Quite often that is in fact not the ideal position for a sub!
Yeah... but the problem is its in a small overstuffed bedroom with a small (teenagers) overstuffed desk, I don't really have the options I'd like in regards to doing this "upgrade". Besides it's not for me and it's not really necessary and it won't be wanted if it get's in the way of anything.

Back