New browser from the original makers of opera

Hopefully it has the features of the original opera (the ones that got removed when they started using the chrome source code)

FYI if you install this use the advanced features and choose install to all accounts otherwise it will install to a subdirectory of appdata of your admin account. Now if I could only figure out how to get my opera bookmarks into this so I can really try it out. Seems fast and stable otherwise for what little I did use.

havnt tried the latest opera (tried the first version that used chromes source didnt like it so I went back to v12.15)
Are all the features back ?

I tried it and I think I might like this new browser. Opera used to be my favorite because it came with all the features I care about by default and was fast. I have good hopes that this can fill that void.

havnt tried the latest opera (tried the first version that used chromes source didnt like it so I went back to v12.15)
Are all the features back ?

None of them are, unfortunately. I'm in the same boat (still on v12.17) but it's getting really annoying, as an increasing number of websites just don't work anymore. I'm even semi-seriously considering making my own fork of Chromium, but Vivaldi could be a much easier alternative.

Once this gets closer to a full featured release I may have to try it out. I like to always have at least 2 browsers from different companies available for use at any given time. Currently that is IE and Chrome. However, Chrome is absolutely horrendous on Windows with regards to power useage (not isolated to my use cases as numerous tech sites have noted this as well, including Anandtech) compared to both IE and Firefox. Not a bad thing on my desktop but absolutely horrible for mobile platforms.

Hopefully this will be an efficient and secure browser that doesn't tank battery life when used on a mobile platform.

Regards,
SB

OK, so I gave Vivaldi a quick try. It has most of the features that I missed from Opera 12, but it also has an annoying tendency to crash when playing a YouTube video. Then again, Opera 12 doesn't seem to work with YouTube anymore (at all) so that's still an improvement.

The interface also feels a bit sluggish at times, for example when switching tabs.

I'll keep using it on and off for a while and update this thread with anything else I find worth noting. I may end up using it exclusively.

Last edited:
I'm also using it . It never crashes for me for the sites I usually visit (I only ocasionaly visit youtube - whatching cathegory theory courses or games playthoughts ;)). Website compatibility is not perfect, but IMO is better than the old Opera ever achieved.

It has a hugely convenient feature for me which I've never seen before: It keeps text written into textboxes/forms even after a crash. (I have some custom tool at work where I have to enter a lot of text and may crash from time to time).

It also has most things Opera used to have and satisfies the nostalgic in me.

It's quite slow unfortunatelly, and doesn't behave all that well with a lot of tabs open. But it's a technical preview, not final. (version 1, not 100 ! )

I tried it and I think I might like this new browser. Opera used to be my favorite because it came with all the features I care about by default and was fast. I have good hopes that this can fill that void.
Opera is probably my favourite as of now, although I use IE 11 because it is safer to me. So I can't wait to try Vivaldi.

Downloading... thanks to the OP, btw.

Back