GTA V announced [2011] , [2021-11-11]

Digital Foundry: Has Rockstar really downgraded GTA 5?
  • PS4: POM removed, AF unchanged, framerate improved.
  • XBO: POM removed, AF unchanged, framerate unchanged.
Interesting but inclusive. It could be the removal of POM did influence framerate on PS4 but doesn't on XBO, or it could be POM and framerate are entirely unrelated and some other change improved the framerate on PS4. I guess we'll find out when/if Rockstar rectify the bug they're currently investigating.

As was mentioned upstream in this thread, was parallax occlusion mapping really that "obvious" in GTAV? I mean, other than a fanboy checkbox, did it truly deliver a graphical upgrade that is/was, other than sticking your virtual nose into a similarly virtual wall or corner, actually noticeable during gameplay?

As was mentioned upstream in this thread, was parallax occlusion mapping really that "obvious" in GTAV? I mean, other than a fanboy checkbox, did it truly deliver a graphical upgrade that is/was, other than sticking your virtual nose into a similarly virtual wall or corner, actually noticeable during gameplay?
It's more prevalent in the desert areas than anywhere else but I played GTA V a ton a couple of weekends back on version 1.08 (POM gone) and didn't notice a thing. It's one of those subtle things.

Yep. Rockstar gives and Rockstar takes away.

I installed the patches in the end, POM alone can't make up for all the other improvements I feel I have now. IQ just seems a lil bit better but that might be just me. On top of the framerate. And my abs are looking fine! Thanks Rockstar!

And since I'm a whiney whingey little bitch, I just realised that there is no sound going to the LFE channel (sub woofer). Searched online and it's not a problem with my setup (or anyone else's), but this game in particular has no sub-woofer channel. I did feel that the sound was a bit 'thin' and now I've realised what it is.

And since I'm a whiney whingey little bitch, I just realised that there is no sound going to the LFE channel (sub woofer). Searched online and it's not a problem with my setup (or anyone else's), but this game in particular has no sub-woofer channel. I did feel that the sound was a bit 'thin' and now I've realised what it is.

On your amp's speaker setup, you should normally select "small" to describe all your main speakers even if your main speakers are fairly large. That will make your amp automatically divert low frequencies to your sub giving you good bass independent of whether or not the audio source has a dedicated lfe channel.

Yeah, if you set your speakers to Small (as you should) your receiver/amp directs frequencies below the crossover point (generally between 80-100Hz, but some receivers allow a lower crossover for if you have beefy speakers) to your sub instead of the speakers, reducing the load on your receiver/amp, and allowing your speakers to focus on their optimal frequency range, giving better sound. The crossover point isn't a brick wall, there's a roll off.
When set to Large, it will send the full range to your speakers, even if the speaker is not capable of outputting lower frequencies; and if those frequencies aren't part of the LFE channel, they're simply lost or there will be a low output.

Best to check your setup and make sure your speakers are all set to Small. Then play with the crossover setting, where you usually want to set it a bit higher than the bottom end of your speaker's frequency response range (because speaker manufacturers generally give a generous number to make them look more impressive). Also keep in mind that some receivers/amps simply have one universal crossover for all speakers, so you'll need to consider the frequency response range of all of your speakers. If you're unsure of any of this, ~80Hz is generally a good a crossover point (which is what THX recommends).

edit: Oh, and if your subwoofer has its own crossover knob on the back, set it to max (or off) and let your receiver/amp handle it.

Last edited:
Yeah, if you set your speakers to Small (as you should) your receiver/amp directs frequencies below the crossover point (generally between 80-100Hz, but some receivers allow a lower crossover for if you have beefy speakers) to your sub instead of the speakers, reducing the load on your receiver/amp, and allowing your speakers to focus on their optimal frequency range, giving better sound. The crossover point isn't a brick wall, there's a roll off.
When set to Large, it will send the full range to your speakers, even if the speaker is not capable of outputting lower frequencies; and if those frequencies aren't part of the LFE channel, they're simply lost or there will be a low output.

Best to check your setup and make sure your speakers are all set to Small. Then play with the crossover setting, where you usually want to set it a bit higher than the bottom end of your speaker's frequency response range (because speaker manufacturers generally give a generous number to make them look more impressive). Also keep in mind that some receivers/amps simply have one universal crossover for all speakers, so you'll need to consider the frequency response range of all of your speakers. If you're unsure of any of this, ~80Hz is generally a good a crossover point (which is what THX recommends).

edit: Oh, and if your subwoofer has its own crossover knob on the back, set it to max (or off) and let your receiver/amp handle it.

Or use double bass if your reciever allows that and you have big fat speakers.

Wow! I'm an idiot! You are allowed to call me idiot for the whole day. Turns out my front speakers were for some reason set to Large (all others to small as it should be). I had no idea. Thanks!

LOL :D There's another thread in the PC gaming forum, but it seems like this one has a lot more traffic...

Or use double bass if your reciever allows that and you have big fat speakers.
Yeah, some receivers/amps have the option to send full range to your speakers + frequencies below the crossover to your sub. I can do that on my Pioneer by setting the SW to 'PLUS'. That should give you even more bass output, especially if you have beefy speakers.
With that said, I always set my speakers to small, even when I had beefy towers (dual 8" drivers, the PSB Century 800s). And again, if you have beefy speakers, some receivers allow for a low crossover, giving even less reason to use LARGE.

Digital Foundry: Has Rockstar really downgraded GTA 5?
  • PS4: POM removed, AF unchanged, framerate improved.
  • XBO: POM removed, AF unchanged, framerate unchanged.
Interesting but inclusive. It could be the removal of POM did influence framerate on PS4 but doesn't on XBO, or it could be POM and framerate are entirely unrelated and some other change improved the framerate on PS4. I guess we'll find out when/if Rockstar rectify the bug they're currently investigating.

Rockstar have released patch 1.10 which restores POM, seemingly with no impact to the performance improvements introduced in the previous two patches. Happy Easter! :yes:

UPDATE 2/4/15 5:41pm: Rockstar has just rolled out patch 1.10 for Grand Theft Auto 5, which it says fixes "graphical issues across GTA Online and Story Mode". After downloading the 4.7GB update on PS4, we can confirm that parallax occlusion mapping is back in the game, and based on initial observations, the performance improvements seen in patch 1.09 remain in effect on the Sony platform.​

Rockstar have released patch 1.10 which restores POM, seemingly with no impact to the performance improvements introduced in the previous two patches. Happy Easter! :yes:

UPDATE 2/4/15 5:41pm: Rockstar has just rolled out patch 1.10 for Grand Theft Auto 5, which it says fixes "graphical issues across GTA Online and Story Mode". After downloading the 4.7GB update on PS4, we can confirm that parallax occlusion mapping is back in the game, and based on initial observations, the performance improvements seen in patch 1.09 remain in effect on the Sony platform.​
4.7 GB?

Back