News & Rumours: Playstation 4/ Orbis *spin*

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm talking from cold, i.e. pressing the PS button on the controller. Dying Light is also near instant once the splash screen appears but the question remains, if the PS4 is preserving the contents of RAM, why do some games take longer than others to resume.

I assume the CPU, GPU and other components need to be updated/refreshed to reflect the resumed system state from memory (which would vary not only by app but presumably by the apps state at the time of suspend) on top of the base OS sorting itself out.

Where's my rdio support Sony?

You should probably ask rdio where their PS4 app is. I mean that genuinely. It would be interesting to know what their response is.

I assume the CPU, GPU and other components need to be updated/refreshed to reflect the resumed system state from memory (which would vary not only by app but presumably by the apps state at the time of suspend) on top of the base OS sorting itself out.
I have no apps running, Dying Light is consistently a 4-5 second resume and GTA a 12-14 second resume. It's perplexing but you're right, the game could be using functions of the OS which take time to initialise but I'm not sure what they might be. Dying Light is instantly aware of incoming packages from the Companion App - the notification is instantaneous so networking gets up to speed super fast.

I have no apps running, Dying Light is consistently a 4-5 second resume and GTA a 12-14 second resume. It's perplexing but you're right, the game could be using functions of the OS which take time to initialise but I'm not sure what they might be. Dying Light is instantly aware of incoming packages from the Companion App - the notification is instantaneous so networking gets up to speed super fast.

Outside of the game using OS functions (I was actually referring to the OS sorting itself out separately), I can only assume the CPU/GPU/etc still need to be returned to their state prior to being suspend. The power draw numbers we have would seem to indicate that those procs are not being powered while in Rest Mode. So, my assumption is the console will have to return them to whatever state they were previously in, i.e. whatever state the resumed memory state is expecting, for registers, cache, etc. On top of any other components. This is, of course, all guess work on my part. By game-to-game variability in time to resume makes sense to me under that simplified mental model.

Sony EU are giving away a free PS4 LittleBigPlanet theme:

CBXEz35U8AAnw67.jpg

The code is: 7DTM-8RNE-D2C2 and can be redeemed in the Account Services area of the PSN Store (PS4, PS3, Vita or Web).

This is, of course, all guess work on my part. By game-to-game variability in time to resume makes sense to me under that simplified mental model.
This definitely does not track with me. Registers and cache are finite (and relatively small in the grand scheme of things) so I'd expect suspend/resume to be fully storing the state of CPU and GPU. It's also contrary to the suspend/resume behaviour of the PSP, Vita, every phone or tablet, computers etc - although I accept the implementation seems half way between sleep and hibernate.

I wonder if the difference is usage of that 512mb paged memory space?

Well after all the excitement, Spotify playback is pretty lame. The PS4 doesn't seem to output bass to the subwoofer - a bit like in GTAV. At least when set up to Dolby or DTS. Lame lamer lamest.

And yes of course my setup is fine, my house is booming now that I'm playing a movie, and other games too.

Yep. Lots of people complaining about this - the app doesn't support 5.1 surround sound and the PS4 isn't converting it properly, so no bass if you have a proper setup like mine. DULL! http://blog.eu.playstation.com/2015/03/30/spotify-launches-playstation-music-today/

Last edited:
Does Spotify support 5.1 on other players?
No but the PS4 should simply convert the stereo sound so that it outputs bass properly, mixing the subwoofer channel. At the moment it's not doing that.

I basically get a better sound through my iPhone with a simple audio jack plugged to my 5.1 system.

Actually, thinking about that it sounds like the PS4 is outputting stereo sound through digital (optical in my case) only to the centre and satellite speakers and not separating the bass and spitting that out of the LFE channel, like it should really do.

Setting the PS4 to PCM output will of course fix this, but I'm not going to switch back and forth between PCM and DTS every time - as that loses true surround sound for everything else, at least on my setup.

Would be nice to hear from other users with similar setup. I'm definitely not the only one.

My PS4 feeds into an STR-DN1020 amp and that jobby does all the decoding and other such whizzy stuff. But that means my PS4 is set to output PCM by default so I must admit I haven't noticed any missing bass with anything.

Last edited:
@London-boy
yikes... i wonder why PS4 did not automatically upmix the audio...

my setup is PS4 -> PC -> 6 speakers
so my PC just automatically upmix the stereo to 6 channels ...

Spotify worked well for me. Also watched Netflix in bed on Vita with remote play trickery, and that screen is really great for it, so I am a bit more annoyed that we don't have a native player here in Europe.

Yes, that's what I am abusing. ;) You can't start Netflix over remote play, but if it had already started before remote play, you can use it.

Suspend resume is really good so far I have to say, and the whole system is very snappy.

If the source is stereo I want stereo out from the PS4 (or any other device). If I want to resample/modify the audio signal in any way that should be done by me, not automatically by the PS4.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back