Halo 5: Guardians [XO]

i think MIB just wiped my brain. I dont remember any of that. What i remembered was "Press X" QTE and i kicked the boss from a bridge.
The above is just a synopsis of the seventh (and final) campaign level in Halo 4. It's pretty fresh for me - I played all four games in the Master Chief Collection a few months back.

Cottona will be back. Undigitised to a cell brain, backup copy from the chefs p0rn drive, something.

Oh god, Halo 5. Plzdontbshit.

You know who else was a
traitor?

RB,
that's who.

Get the old team back together. I'd buy a Bone for that. Tango and Cash for a new generation, in the future.

Did you not finish Halo 4?

When the Chief and Cortona land on the Didact's ship and realise the only option is 'plan B', Cortana inserts herself into the ship's system to fight the ship's security and help the Chief. From this point on she's now part of the Didact's ship. A long fight through the ship ensues until the inevitable final confrontation where Cortana helps the Chief defeat the Didact, who falls into the slipspace rift - fate unknown.

The Chief then activates the bomb which destroys the Didact's ship where Cortana is. It then transpires that Cortana held a little of herself back to exfil the Chief after detonation but before the actual explosion which is how he survived. She then tells him: "I'm not coming with you this time. Most of me is down there" referring to the destroyed ship. You then see Chief floating in space among the wreckage where it's quite clear, the ship is destroyed - there are only small pieces of debris left.

If it wasn't any clearer, before they board the Broadsword for the Didact's ship Cortana says: "They'll pair you with another AI. Maybe even another Cortana model if Halsey lets them. -- It won't be me, you know that right?"

All that remains of Cortana was a minuscule fragment that is suffering extreme rampancy. You have to consider that the UNSC don't value AI constructs, only their strategic knowledge. The reason Keyes entrusted Cortana to the Chief in the original Halo wasn't to protect Cortana as much as it was to keep her knowledge of the UNSC's battle plans from the Covenant.

There is no 'cure' for rampancy because the UNSC don't need to cure an AI, they just replace it. Any contrived explanation for trying to rebuild her would be utter nonsense and inconsistent. But this is 343 not Bungie :runaway:
I did...twice. Maybe I am a dreamer, but I think there is a glimmer of hope, because the way Cortana says goodbye is not from someone who is dead.

Why do you think that the story is some kind of "life and let die" and conclusive?

The story and the final situation is odd.
The bomb explodes near the Master Chief, yet he lives, maybe the Didact too, and with him, Cortana.

Has anyone seen the teaser yet?

The bullet has "TRAITOR" written on it...
I've watched it on the X1.

The reason you dont remember that is because the entire rest of the Halo 4 story was a complete and total clusterfuck of a mess. Way too complicated just for the sake of being complicated and convoluted.
I gotta say that I agree with this. But isn't that the same for every Halo? I mean... the stories in Halo are convoluted -defend this outpost, destroy that satellite, the gondola leaves for the next structure, destroy the bomb, the forerunners built this, the flood are a parasite, etc etc etc.

What I filter from the story of Halo 4 is the love story between Cortana and Master Chief, the rest is mostly babble that geeks will love. Same for other Halos. Halo 1, destroy the rings, Halo 2, save the earth. Halo 3, make the brutes pay.

Last edited:
I did...twice. Maybe I am a dreamer, but I think there is a glimmer of hope, because the way Cortana says goodbye is not from someone who is dead.

I get few messages from the dead so I'm not sure how these things go. Do you expect Cortana to groan "braaaaaaaains" and try to eat the Chiefs arm? :runaway:

The bomb explodes near the Master Chief, yet he lives, maybe the Didact too, and with him, Cortana.

You should replay the last level. The Didact falls into the rift long before the bomb explodes; he disappears but his fate is unknown.

Cortana evacs the Chief after he initiates the explosion but before the explosion occurs. He's removed just far enough away that the explosion doesn't kill him. At the time of the explosion most of Crazy Cortana is integrated into the ship. Really, play the last levels because she's largely nuts at this point and is spouting more gibberish than sense. It's more pronounced when you're listening for it.

Did that final conversation even happen? Why does Cortana appear as she does rather than via the conventional HUD image? Was it a concussion induced dream? Nobody knows because it was vague but she was on the ship that got nuked.

I gotta say that I agree with this. But isn't that the same for every Halo? I mean... the stories in Halo are convoluted -defend this outpost, destroy that satellite, the gondola leaves for the next structure, destroy the bomb, the forerunners built this, the flood are a parasite, etc etc etc.

The first game was very straight forward and its definitely one of the stories I've enjoyed most since I've been gaming. But the stories and motivation become more convoluted with each game because Halo is supposed to be epic and the Chief has to save the universe every game. It just got ridiculous, though.

Last edited by a moderator:
I was reading this thread about the Halo story and whatnot and it reminded me that I never bothered to watch any of the things in the Halo channel that provide back stories, or whatever, so I decided to check it out yesterday.

Apparently, I chose the right time to do so because they've only been actually available since March 17? I thought all this content had been available through the Halo Channel when I purchased the MCC, but I guess I was wrong?

http://news.softpedia.com/news/Halo...-Standalone-Second-Story-Content-473580.shtml

Anyway, a couple of bits - It wasn't the worst thing possible, but I ended up watching all of the Second Stories prior to watching Nightfall. So they refer to events and provide different perspectives on a story that I wasn't aware of yet. Because when you go to watch Featured Content (if you go to Original Content it's even worse - it's full of Halo Competitive Gaming and Twitch Streaming and crap), and scroll across, all of the Second Stories all displayed from Left to Right and the actual Nightfall movie is all the way at the end. For those of us that read left to right, you end up watching the Second Stories before the actual Nightfall movie.

Also, the Second Stories are a bit weird. I'm still not sure if the audio is completely jacked up, or if 343i was pushing some "multi-cultural" thing by making some of the stories in different languages, or what. There was one occasion where the story, in the middle, just switched from English to French and the English subtitles turned off. I was able to go switch back to English and turn English Subtitles back on. But in other stories, the language was set for English and it would display English subtitles, but the dialog is all in Spanish or an Arabic dialect. It's fine if they want to "add to realism" by having the different cultures involved speak in their native languages while providing appropriate subtitles (especially for short, little, 6-12 minute clips), but when you can't tell if it's artistic license or a technology bug, it's slightly distracting. Finally, the streaming was extremely subpar, but it only actually crashed and gave me the "Sorry!" message once.

I'm imagining that the Nightfall events are the backdrop for the Halo 5 story so I put this here rather than in the MCC thread.

I was reading this thread about the Halo story and whatnot and it reminded me that I never bothered to watch any of the things in the Halo channel that provide back stories, or whatever, so I decided to check it out yesterday.

Apparently, I chose the right time to do so because they've only been actually available since March 17? I thought all this content had been available through the Halo Channel when I purchased the MCC, but I guess I was wrong?

http://news.softpedia.com/news/Halo...-Standalone-Second-Story-Content-473580.shtml

Anyway, a couple of bits - It wasn't the worst thing possible, but I ended up watching all of the Second Stories prior to watching Nightfall. So they refer to events and provide different perspectives on a story that I wasn't aware of yet. Because when you go to watch Featured Content (if you go to Original Content it's even worse - it's full of Halo Competitive Gaming and Twitch Streaming and crap), and scroll across, all of the Second Stories all displayed from Left to Right and the actual Nightfall movie is all the way at the end. For those of us that read left to right, you end up watching the Second Stories before the actual Nightfall movie.

Also, the Second Stories are a bit weird. I'm still not sure if the audio is completely jacked up, or if 343i was pushing some "multi-cultural" thing by making some of the stories in different languages, or what. There was one occasion where the story, in the middle, just switched from English to French and the English subtitles turned off. I was able to go switch back to English and turn English Subtitles back on. But in other stories, the language was set for English and it would display English subtitles, but the dialog is all in Spanish or an Arabic dialect. It's fine if they want to "add to realism" by having the different cultures involved speak in their native languages while providing appropriate subtitles (especially for short, little, 6-12 minute clips), but when you can't tell if it's artistic license or a technology bug, it's slightly distracting. Finally, the streaming was extremely subpar, but it only actually crashed and gave me the "Sorry!" message once.

I'm imagining that the Nightfall events are the backdrop for the Halo 5 story so I put this here rather than in the MCC thread.
Always available! It was 1 chapter at a time though. Took over a month to complete.

Just realised I've not seen Nightfall yet. I really liked Forward Unto Dawn.

Nightfall is awful compared to FUD.
I'd heard it wasn't great which has partly put me off watching it. But it's Halo and introduces one the Halo 5 characters. The things I do for the UNSC.. Covenant. Galactic death rings. Flood monsters. Crazy AIs. Bad TV :yep2:

Last edited by a moderator:
The only thing halo about this is that it goes in circles and you end up nowhere important.

Just you wait until i343 releases the next Halo5 teaser. This changes everything! Game changer!

Back