Halo 5: Guardians [XO]

Halo MCC is great now ... and theres no doubt 343 are a great studio, so definitely expecting big innovative things from them ...

I've been playing the tar out of MCC since launch day with no problems apart from one instance of checkpoint progress being lost.

I don't really 'do' competitive multiplayer games though. Just solo, local co-op and online co-op campaign play plus a healthy dose of Spartan Ops.

I really hope 343 releases some footage of the campaign. I would like to see the direction they are taking the single-player as far as how big the encounters are. That and see how far the graphics have come since the beta.

It was nice that they acknowledged the visibility issues in the Halo 5 beta maps regarding things like the haze, the overbearing sun glare, and the red vs blue @ night, but at the same time, I'm wondering how those glaringly obvious effects even made it through in the first place, and whether or not the campaign is following the same hazy presentation as Halo 4.

It was nice that they acknowledged the visibility issues in the Halo 5 beta maps regarding things like the haze, the overbearing sun glare, and the red vs blue @ night, but at the same time, I'm wondering how those glaringly obvious effects even made it through in the first place, and whether or not the campaign is following the same hazy presentation as Halo 4.

I've really no clue how this game is going to turn out. The beta couldn't have been much more than a proof of concept, something deliberately made for testing - I would be shocked if Halo 5 was not built from the ground up with DX12 in mind - its just non nonsensical - Halo 5 _must_ succeed at all costs, graphically (vs other 60fps games), multiplayer, esport, story, cinematics, and general replay ability. They gotta sell their cloud infrastructure again. So much is riding on Halo 5 that i'm just generally confused that it's even coming out this year.

The road has been paved for 343, they should know what not to do.
A) release a broken multiplayer, no.. better they need to have a better ranking, matchmaking, eSport service than Titanfall which is shockingly fast even with a low population
B) They know what happens when a game is all multiplayer and no single player
C) They know what happens when a game is all cinematic and no gameplay
D) They know what happens when you oversell and underdeliver
E) They know what happens when you release a buggy product at launch.

Delaying if the product is not perfect is the most sensible move imo.

The beta already looked pretty great imo, I have few doubts the campaign will be stupendous.

343 doesn't play around. Graphics are increasingly about manpower as much as system power (Carmack said even last gen, graphics were often limited by manpower more than technology), and 343 has deep Microsoft pockets.

And btw this thread bump made me wonder about news. It's about time for some footage countdowns this time of year...hope they dont save it all for e3.

Would be nice to get comparison shots of the "fixed PBR" or the updated beta maps (they said they were going to address visibility).

Nice. About time for some info.

GAF keeps talking about a September release date. Not sure why they think that. But would be nice.

An Halo 5 countdown has began!! Only 2 days and 19 hours to go.

http://huntthetruth.tumblr.com/

3V8qFHN.png

So in.

GAF keeps talking about a September release date. Not sure why they think that. But would be nice.
I thought it had to do with the art book being released in August (albeit early). There's also a number of fictional releases happening this year, with one of them in early September. Not sure they'd want to compete with COD in November though.
Truth is dead though... Er, spoilers there, sorry ;)

Anyways

Maybe it has to do with Halsey given what happened in SpOps & the Escalation comic.

Last edited:
I thought it had to do with the art book being released in August (albeit early). There's also a number of fictional releases happening this year, with one of them in early September. Not sure they'd want to compete with COD in November though.
Or Tomb Raider. What a dilemma, too many good games! :runaway:

I'm not at all convinced 343 has a clue. It seems like every month or so I get a "feedback survey" email from MS asking questions about my preferences for Halo campaign, MP, etc. I get the feeling they're desperate and Halo 5 is going to be "designed by committee".

So far I haven't seen any indication that 343 and/or MS knows what they're doing with Halo. They don't appear to "get" what made Halo so popular in the first place. They tried some things (which felt derivative and uninspired) and failed, now they're just desperately throwing shit at the wall hoping something sticks.

Yes, I'm quite pessimistic about the future of Halo.

I have low expectations. Although I want Cortana back more than anything I will be so disappointed if they just bring her back through some bullshit reason about a backup or 'twin' AI. :nope:

cortana dead in halo 4 ending? i though it just gone crazy.
No, Cortana isn't dead. She is in a shopping spree.

Actually, she never died in Halo 4.

I'm not at all convinced 343 has a clue. It seems like every month or so I get a "feedback survey" email from MS asking questions about my preferences for Halo campaign, MP, etc. I get the feeling they're desperate and Halo 5 is going to be "designed by committee".

So far I haven't seen any indication that 343 and/or MS knows what they're doing with Halo. They don't appear to "get" what made Halo so popular in the first place. They tried some things (which felt derivative and uninspired) and failed, now they're just desperately throwing shit at the wall hoping something sticks.

Actually, Halo 4 was a really decent Halo game. Having played it on the X360 and now the Xbox One, and without the perspective of time blinding me, I am finding it more fun than Halo 2 -which I am playing again as of currently on the X1-, which is my favourite Halo -well Halo: Reach is up there too-, because it was the first Halo I've ever played. I've changed..

Back