Bloodborne: [PS4] (From Software)

Yup, IMO, this is going to be by far the best game released on the new generation of consoles up to this point. Sad that I won't be playing it. Maybe my friend will let me stay over at his place so I can play it for 48 hours straight? :D

Regards,
SB

dgpurv.jpg

it is coming ! The excitement.... the mystery.....the dread..... the frustrations....the anger......the desperation.....the defeats....the broken egos......the depression..... the recoups.....the revenges......the victories.....the hunt !

I T' S C O M I N G T O T A K E O V E R Y O U R D A Y ' S T H O U G H T S A N D Y O U R N I G H T ' S D R E A M S !

I hope the game isn't too hard for a newb like me, never played any souls games and I found Lords of the Fallen to be hard already. Would be a shame if the difficulty hampers my experience for fully enjoying it. Otherwise can't wait for this beautiful dark fantasy ride.

I hope the game isn't too hard for a newb like me, never played any souls games and I found Lords of the Fallen to be hard already. Would be a shame if the difficulty hampers my experience for fully enjoying it. Otherwise can't wait for this beautiful dark fantasy ride.

I'm a wimp and suck at hard games, but it you go slow and read about what is coming (i.e. guides) you can make it through. I finished Demon's Souls and got pretty far into Dark Souls. If you play alone, go offline. If you are going to stay online, go co-op.

I'm a wimp and suck at hard games, but it you go slow and read about what is coming (i.e. guides) you can make it through. I finished Demon's Souls and got pretty far into Dark Souls. If you play alone, go offline. If you are going to stay online, go co-op.

I never payed any of the Souls game but the impression I had from the outside the difficulty was due to implausible limitations such as the inability to swing a weapon more than few times or being unable to run more than 3-5 seconds.
I look at Bloodborn and still see those limitations.

Last edited:
Those are just typical game mechanics. Even Dying Light, an easy game, has limited stamina for swinging a weapon or running. What made the game hard for me was getting surprised by an enemy and freaking out, which leads to death and leads to losing all your souls and getting sent back to the beginning. You have to moving slowly, observe your surroundings and make sure you dodge or block at the right time and not step off a ledge.

Those are just typical game mechanics. Even Dying Light, an easy game, has limited stamina for swinging a weapon or running. What made the game hard for me was getting surprised by an enemy and freaking out, which leads to death and leads to losing all your souls and getting sent back to the beginning. You have to moving slowly, observe your surroundings and make sure you dodge or block at the right time and not step off a ledge.

Limited stamina makes sense and its believable IMO but a warrior/swordsman that is not able to swing a sword more than 5 times it's really absurd.

Anyway I am still curious about Bloodborn so I keep my options open.

Last edited:
Limited stamina makes sense and its believable but a warrior/swordsman that is not able to swing a sword more than 5 times it's absurd.

The amount of stamina used for each swing depends on the weapon weight and if you are using it with one hand versus two. Poking a dagger or rapier takes little stamina, but a large broadsword much more. Is that absurd really absurd?

The amount of stamina used for each swing depends on the weapon weight and if you are using it with one hand versus two. Poking a dagger or rapier takes little stamina, but a large broadsword much more. Is that absurd really absurd?

It's the rate/speed at which the stamina is depleted that is absurd.
No trained swordsman/soldier is fatigued after 10 swings, or even less, with a rapier or broadsword.
It would be believable to see the character pant and be nearly/very exhausted after a 10 minutes fight without pause but not after few swings.

EDIT

Oh and the average weight of a rapier, if we are to believe Wikipedia is 1kg and Claymore is around 2,8kg so most healthy men/women, could swing those for minutes uninterrupted.

Last edited:
Souls difficulity is not about stamina, but foes ability to knock you down in a few strikes. Every foe can fight and will significantly dent your healthbar if you're not cautious, no matter how weak he is.

Souls difficulity is not about stamina, but foes ability to knock you down in a few strikes. Every foe can fight and will significantly dent your healthbar if you're not cautious, no matter how weak he is.

The fact that even "normal/basic" enemies are lethal is sometime I like but on the other hand your own weapons are absurdly weak: blades can't/don't cut nor wound and hammers don't crash anyone/anything.
In the Bloodborn videos I saw giant hammers pass though enemies as if they were made of thin air...I cant' suspend my disbelief on something like that.
You can shoot a monster in the leg/arse/face with a shotgun and yet it goes on fighting as if nothing had happened.

Last edited:
.I cant' suspend my disbelief on something like that.
You can shoot a monster in the leg/arse/face with a shotgun and yet it goes on fighting as if nothing had happened.

You should probably give up gaming as a hobby then. What you are describing isn't limited to this game, but just about every game made. Maybe you can make a new topic and everyone can discuss this without taking the Bloodborne thread OT.

No trained swordsman/soldier is fatigued after 10 swings, or even less, with a rapier or broadsword.
It would be believable to see the character pant and be nearly/very exhausted after a 10 minutes fight without pause but not after few swings.

EDIT

Oh and the average weight of a rapier, if we are to believe Wikipedia is 1kg and Claymore is around 2,8kg so most healthy men/women, could swing those for minutes uninterrupted.

Have you ever swung a real sword wearing real armor? I used to be an active member of the SCA (http://sca.org/ ) and we used to fight in real armor with real weapons. Not the foam and fake stuff you use in LARPing.

Armor is HEAVY. Weapons are not only heavy, but awkward to use effectively (swing a 3 kg ball around quickly and compare it to swinging a 3 kg pole that is a meter long with any sort of control, the ball is much less taxing) without significant training. Even with training and conditioning you do NOT constantly swing your weapon without rapidly running out of endurance leaving yourself unable to defend yourself. The heavier and more awkward the weapon (like a Claymore) the less swinging you're going to do and the more pausing you're going to do as you pace yourself not only to regain energy for another swing but so you can fight for more than 2 minutes.

There's a reason why armor and heavy swords eventually lost out to lightweight weapons like the rapier and reduced or no armor. The endurance drain and lack of mobility meant you'd usually lose out to a someone wielding a lightweight thrusting weapon like a rapier who also had greater mobility.

One of the allures of the Demon's Souls/Dark Souls games is that they are relatively realistic in their depictions of medieval combat. I say relatively because they still aren't nearly as realistic as say War of the Roses (PC game). Moves and dodging are still very gamishly unrealistic (for example, you aren't going to be able to swing a Claymore in combat while moving side to side). But at least the feeling of weight and inertia combined with the effort required to wield weapons and dodge is far more realistic than anything you'll find on consoles (until some of the independent PC melee combat games come to consoles).

Regards,
SB

EDIT

Professional fighters get winded after a throwing full strength haymakers for a full minute can get winded and their gloves weigh barely anything. Swinging a heavy sword and hitting a target at full strength will get you tired very quickly.

@Silent_Buddha

In the Souls games, from what I can see, you always control a trained/experienced warrior/soldier/swordsman so the stamina limitations are not very believable to my eyes.
The idea of stamina is sensible IMO but it's the implementation that is not believable: the warrior gets tired too quickly and at the same time recovers incredibly quickly.

In Dragon's Dogma there is stamina but it takes way more time to recover than in the Souls games.
It sill not really realistic but it's more plausible IMO

P.S.
I never used/wore a medieval armor but I used rapiers and I didn't have to pause after 5 swings.

Last edited:
Back