Formula 1 - 2015 season

I can't find reference to it online now, but I thought I heard a post race interview with Button also pointing out that when they were running at the speeds and the manner they were it was also difficult keeping the tires and brakes in in the correct operating window, thus further impacting performance.
Basically they are trying to save fuel as much as possible because they can only generate very little energy from MGU-K and the engine is detuned to probably below the maximum efficiency (as in km/l) the engine could do. They are also limiting the fuel flow to save fuel. So they run at relatively low speed and the driver need to drive in a manner to save fuel, thus lots of lift and coast, which in effect making it hard to get the tires and brakes into the correct operating window.
Near the end, they got enough fuel to burn and they increase the fuel flow, thus boost the McLaren performance to get that 1:33. So basically in a detuned state, the engine still got more performance to give, but limited in performance because of the fuel saving McLaren had to do to reach the finish line.

I'm not going to pretend I'd have any idea what features they exploit better than the rest, but I'm pretty sure the other teams have some idea, which FIA could look upon

I'm not going to pretend I'd have any idea what features they exploit better than the rest, but I'm pretty sure the other teams have some idea, which FIA could look upon
Except that none of the other teams have mentioned any specific technology to limit or ban that would not also harm themselves because they use it. Maybe they will discover something, but given how many very clever engineers they all have, it is surprising they have not found something yet if it exists. the biggest whiners here by far are Red Bull and frankly if they had a Mercedes engine in the back this would not even be a discussion.

Some rumours around about VW/Audi lurking in the wings and potentially interested to get in on F1, unclear whether they might come in just as an engine manufacturer or whether they would want their own team. Given the now toxic relationship between Red Bull and Renault, I don't see it as a huge stretch that IF Red Bull don't pull out of F1 that they end up doing a McLaren and do a deal with VW/Audi for a potential engine supplier. It would be a huge gamble of course and McLaren are at the very least 1-2 years away from being able to challenge for a championship, but that is the price of doing such a large change in direction, but the long term benefits are potentially significant. similarly Red Bull would probably be no where for at least a couple of years, even someone with the massive resources of VW/Audi can't just pull a reliable competitive engine out of their arse at a moments notice, however if you want a real challenge to Mercedes they are probably your best bet long term (possibly along with Honda, it's potential is currently unknown).

At this point though given that the Renault engine, even when they were winning championships was not seen as the most powerful engine and with an apparent backwards step this year, the risk of changing engine supplier seems rather less of a gamble for Red Bull versus hoping against hope that:

a) Renault pull a rabbit out of the hat and deliver a truly competitive engine....

b) ....and that if they do they wont just give preferential treatment to their own works team, which is another rumour doing the rounds.

About Button I would have to say his performances in the 2010 Australian Grand Prix and the 2011 Canadian Grand Prix were outstanding some of the best ive ever seen.
Agreed, that Canada race by him was unbelievably good, if anything Button is possibly one of the most underrated drivers in F1. Everyone wrote him off when he went to join McLaren and that Hamilton (who I agree is probably one of the top 3 drivers in F1 over the last 10 years) would completely outclass him. The same thing has happened again with Alonso (re)joining McLaren this year, it will be interesting but I will stick my neck out and say Alonso won't show him up either.

Now if you want to talk overrated, I would say Vettel...

Some rumours around about VW/Audi lurking in the wings and potentially interested to get in on F1, unclear whether they might come in just as an engine manufacturer or whether they would want their own team. Given the now toxic relationship between Red Bull and Renault, I don't see it as a huge stretch that IF Red Bull don't pull out of F1 that they end up doing a McLaren and do a deal with VW/Audi for a potential engine supplier.
It has already been cited that Renault are interested in Toro Russo. I can only see this team being purchased if RB intend to get out entirely as TR are their driver feeder mechanism. In which case it looks like they would sell RB to VW as a full works entry with maybe sponsorship coming from RB Drinks.

I believe that this could be why Horner is becoming increasingly shrill with his crazy rule change ideas as maybe he is seeing the internal evaluations and knows that if things don't change then the team may be sold entirely which would put him in a questionable position.

T
It has already been cited that Renault are interested in Toro Russo. I can only see this team being purchased if RB intend to get out entirely as TR are their driver feeder mechanism. In which case it looks like they would sell RB to VW as a full works entry with maybe sponsorship coming from RB Drinks.

I believe that this could be why Horner is becoming increasingly shrill with his crazy rule change ideas as maybe he is seeing the internal evaluations and knows that if things don't change then the team may be sold entirely which would put him in a questionable position.
That sounds highly plausible although to be fair, despite my feelings that Christian Horner has been pretty hypocritical about this, it is undeniable that he has lead the team through a pretty successful period, there is no reason why he could not continue to do so under VW ownership. Whether he would want to though is another question of course, perhaps that is more pertinent. He may not fancy having to go through the whole re-build phase that would inevitably lead from that with little chance of near term success. He kind of did that already with Red Bull the first time around.

That said regardless of whether CH is still at the helm of the team (whoever owns it) I would be very excited to see VW enter the sport in a serious way. Mercedes achieved such success with staggering levels of investment into engine technology in both road and race spheres. That level of fundamental technological understanding of what it takes to make highly efficient engines just does not come about without years of investment and bus loads of money. VW I believe has much of that already even if not with direct F1 involvement thus far and in a way I think Mercedes has shown them what can be possible and the potential gains for a brand.

I don't have original source for this, only what's been written in finnish (http://www.uusisuomi.fi/urheilu/794...astuu-red-bull-valmistelemassa-hurjaa-siirtoa)

According to the article, Red Bull is indeed planning to sell it's teams, Toro Rosso to Renault and Red Bull to Audi. However, Red Bull wouldn't abandon F1, instead it's rumoured to be trying to buy the commercial rights to the series from CVC.
This could mean the end for Ecclestone and radical changes to the series.

Red Bull Formula One EXTREME !!!
each lap, each car can fire 1 RPG and for the entire race (50 laps) each car has 25 countermeasure deployments.
for the entire race, each car can fly for 15 seconds

Red Bull gives you wings - Formula One EXTREME

Red Bull Formula One EXTREME !!!
each lap, each car can fire 1 RPG and for the entire race (50 laps) each car has 25 countermeasure deployments.
for the entire race, each car can fly for 15 seconds

Mines !

Mandatory deployment for back markers on blue flag. - That'll curb those pesky Mercedes

Also, name it Red Bull Formula Supercars II

Cheers

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/118171

Seems like the Red Bull / Renault relationship is now completely broken. After listening to rounds of Horner tell press how bad Renault is, Renault have basically turned around and said "you won't have a race winning engine this year because you pushed for changes in the same way you apply them to your chassis, and that doesn't work on engines".

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/formula1/32065185

Good start to Alonso's second stint at McLaren, back to Renault next year then when they buy Torro Rosso.

• denied reports he had been knocked out following the crash
  • said he did lose consciousness but that was down to medication
  • rejected claims he thought he was 15 when he regained consciousness
  • said speculation about his health was not helped by statements by McLaren and his management
  • rejected suggestions from Ron Dennis that his car may have been affected by a gust of wind.

rejected suggestions from Ron Dennis that his car may have been affected by a gust of wind.
If I didn't hear wrong, he said something like "even a hurricane wouldn't move F1 car at those speeds"

Renault is now, contrary to earlier reports, also considering leaving the sport.
Engine allocation is set to be upped to 5 per driver this season from previously 4.

Ferrari is much closer to Mercedes in Malaysia.
Red Bull have changed engine maps to the ones used in testing and they seem to be better.
McLaren are running faster but they are still slow.
Manor seems to be able to run this weekend.

Renault is now, contrary to earlier reports, also considering leaving the sport.
Engine allocation is set to be upped to 5 per driver this season from previously 4.

Ferrari is much closer to Mercedes in Malaysia.
Red Bull have changed engine maps to the ones used in testing and they seem to be better.
McLaren are running faster but they are still slow.
Manor seems to be able to run this weekend.
They really aren't. Long runs they were still 0.7 behind.

And 0.3 behind with Hamilton having a dreadful day and very few laps is no indicator other than of course Mercedes are still much faster than anyone else

They really aren't. Long runs they were still 0.7 behind.

And 0.3 behind with Hamilton having a dreadful day and very few laps is no indicator other than of course Mercedes are still much faster than anyone else

They were what now? Räikkönen did steady laps

Malaysia%20FP2_zpsipx0vhpe.jpg

Back