The Order: 1886

I think it's you who confuse terminology Laa-Yosh. Subsurface scattering is a real physical phenomenon, common to all non-metallic materials. It is not an implementation, it is something real that is simulated with different implementations of varying accuracy. If your industry incorrectly uses the term subsurface scattering to refer to a particular implementation of an effect, then you should rather try advocate correcting that misuse, rather than try to get others to also muddle up their terminology to match yours...

IMHO

Played and finished this game at the weekend. I really enjoyed it.

The fact that it's short and levels are tightly narrow corridors is my only major criticism.

I don't get the gripes from others about the story, or a supposed cliffhanger ending? What cliffhanger?

Just the first few things I can recall:

the actual villain, the vampire dude kinda survived; Sir Moustache has been fired and will have to face his old friends and almost-girlfriend; corruption in the Order needs to be dealt with, and so on...

the actual villain, the vampire dude kinda survived; Sir Moustache has been fired and will have to face his old friends and almost-girlfriend; corruption in the Order needs to be dealt with, and so on...
Does that mean
he will be stripped of his moustache? Disorder 1886 sequel
? :runaway:

Lady promoted to first class moustachenant
?

That's not really a cliffhanger. Loose threads, sure. But a cliffhanger?!?

Probably the loosest definition of a cliffhanger ever.

The Order 1886 had an overall story arch about Sir Gallahad, his
rise and fall, and the uncovery of the mystery conspiracy
. It had a clear beginning middle and a satisfying conclusion imho. Having running sub-plot threads that don't get concluded in the first outing, but point to a wider overarching story is just good storytelling. Plus, from a commercial perspective, it nicely sets up a sequel without the need for needless contrivances or retcons (hello metal gear series).

That's not the definintion of a cliffhanger, that has a beginning, middle and comes to an abrupt end at the point when sh!t just gets real. The LOTR: Fellowship of the Rings is a cliffhanger ending, as is the ending of the first and second Hobbit movies.

Anyone calling The Order 1886 out for a cliffhanger ending simply doesn't have a good enough understanding of the literary device.

I actually found the moment to moment gunplay to be very polished and very very enjoyable. Some of the weapons' feedback was so thrilling I sometime intentionally died on my first play through so I could replay that section, e.g. the battle on the bridge.

The biggest gripe was that there wasn't enough meat on the game's bones. The combat, stealth and even climbing mechanics all felt tight, polished and well implemented. There just wasn't enough gameplay opportunity to experiment with your tools of destruction.

They absolutely have to do a sequel. It would be criminal for them not to.

With better level design, I.e. bigger and more open combat bowls (like in Uncharted) with more verticality, the game could have been something really special.

The biggest missed opportunity though was with the
half-breed fights
. I was really looking forward to them and they were a major letdown. They just really needed to rethink them as an enemy and their cobat encounter design. Either make them swarm you like bullet fodder with no tactics at all, instead they try to overwhelm with superior numbers, or just implement a completely new hand-to-hand combat system that pits you against them face to face (something like in Sleeping Dogs). The existing encounter design, I.e. press X to bum rush or QTEs just came across as a bit of a copout.

Anyone complaining about a cliffhanger ending in The Order is clearly abusing the term.

People complaining about the "twist" they "saw coming" are also confusing their recognition of foreshadowing with somehow getting one over on the plot.

Anyone complaining about a cliffhanger ending in The Order is clearly abusing the term.

People complaining about the "twist" they "saw coming" are also confusing their recognition of foreshadowing with somehow getting one over on the plot.

Has less to do with foreshadowing and more with the fact that we've had this kind of a plot a million times already.
the filthy rebels aren't quite as filthy as initially suggested? The upstanding knights of the Order aren't quite so upstanding and literally a bit more than meets the eye? - you don't say!

Last edited:
Has less to do with foreshadowing and more with the fact that we've had this kind of a plot a million times already.
the filthy rebels aren't quite as filthy as initially suggested? The upstanding knights of the Order aren't quite so upstanding and literally a bit more than meets the eye? - you don't say!

I can agree with this. But what basic plot when reduced down to its elements haven't already had a million times before?

“Thus I rediscovered what writers have always known (and have told us again and again): books always speak of other books, and every story tells a story that has already been told.”
Umberto Eco, Postscript to the Name of the Rose

Last edited:
I can agree with this. But what basic plot when reduced down to its elements haven't already had a million times before?

“Thus I rediscovered what writers have always known (and have told us again and again): books always speak of other books, and every story tells a story that has already been told.”

It is even worse for videogames because they come after book and movies. I think the story is correct in The Order 1886. Some character miss more exposition like Perceval and lucan and there is a plot hole.

Why the half breed were in Whitechapel???

I think storytelling is the most important things, some ability to give emotions and stay a videogames.

It is even worse for videogames because they come after book and movies. I think the story is correct in The Order 1886. Some character miss more exposition like Perceval and lucan and there is a plot hole.

Why the half breed were in Whitechapel???

I think storytelling is the most important things, some ability to give emotions and stay a videogames.

I'm not sure that was much of a plot hole:

I thought it was because the Rebels were there to disrupt East India Trading Co.'s dealings. So the half-breeds could have escaped after being woken up from one of the transport crates.

You can be selective with these things you know ;)

Prophecy2k - any plot hole will likely be answered in the sequel

I enjoy these :)

Given how the story of The Order panned out, and how similar it was to the Underworld movies, I really want RaD to consider adding in a sexy Kate Beckinsale in a tight leather catsuit for the sequel.

Call it The Order: 1999, I don't care, but a Miss Beckinsale-catsuit combo will be an insta-"10 outta ten!" from me... gameplay be damned! :devilish:

Back