Nintendo GOing Forward.

They shouldn't use an external game network for iOS when there is already GameCenter.

Also, put out a bluetooth controller and bundle it with codes for free download of a game. Put it on iPad with Airplay support and bam, you have both a mobile and console game in one.

They shouldn't use an external game network for iOS when there is already Game Center.
There were a few before Game Centre but I don't have any games that use something bespoke.

Apparently, DeNA specializes in free to play games and Iwata said they won't port any of their games over, but rather build new games for this venture.

He reiterated that they're working on a new handheld/console NX system.

Once the mobile games are out though, can Nintendo keep their traditional properties segregated from this mobile venture? There would be even more pressure on them to release the crown jewels on mobile.

Especially if the new systems they come out with in a couple of years bomb.

They will bring their IP's to mobile, but not the same games they take to their dedicated gaming devices. I believe Rayman Origins was on IOS, but was not the same package that was on consoles. I think Nintendo will go that route with mobile. Their mobile games will probably feel a like a demo for their full fledged counterparts on their dedicated devices.

Well if those don't sell well, then they'll say "see, our games are best on our own hardware."

But if the new hardware underwhelms again, then what?

Well if those don't sell well, then they'll say "see, our games are best on our own hardware."

But if the new hardware underwhelms again, then what?

Nobody makes plans for multiple failures. Their plan is for success. These mobile games are not intended to be in competition with what they offer on their dedicated hardware, but instead bring the Nintendo experience to mobile with the hope that a portion of those mobile gamers will eventually crave the more complete and deep experience offered on the dedicated hardware. Think of it like mobile being the Nintendo Land games. They have a Zelda game in Nintendo Land, they have a Metroid Game in Nintendo Land, they have a Mario Game in Nintendo Land, but these games in Nintendo Land are not full fledge games. Its a sample taste of what Nintendo offers.

...bring the Nintendo experience to mobile with the hope that a portion of those mobile gamers will eventually crave the more complete and deep experience offered on the dedicated hardware.
I disagree. I don't think the plan is to attract mobile gamers onto Nintendo hardware for core Nintendo games, but as an alternative market valuable in its own right that Nintendo wants a piece of. If N. can make a few hundred million a year on some Mario match 3 or Pokemon Card Battler, that's worth trying. There's no obvious transition from those sorts of games to Mario World and LoZ. Even a more core-focussed game as I hope N. make won't necessarily encourage people to transition to a Nintendo console because it'll be a good game in its own right. If games are clearly lacking on the touch screen, they aren't well implemented.

They aren't just bringing games to Mobile, but to PC as well.

http://techcrunch.com/2015/03/17/nintendo-teases-nx-its-next-dedicated-gaming-console/

One of the slides has the 3 Nintendo systems (3DS, Wii U, NX) on one side with Tablet, Smartphone, and PC on the other side.

They'll be going multi-platform to some extent while remaining console exclusive. Similar to what Microsoft is going to be doing. Only less limited (Microsoft being only Windows tablets and smartphones AFAIK).

Also like Microsoft it'll all be tied together by the Nintendo Membership Service (name to be determined later if it isn't that). Similar to the Xbox Live service or Windows Store or whatever Microsoft ends up calling it.

Regards,
SB

Yeah if they go for separate properties which are freemium, then I think people used to the traditional games will be disappointed though who knows, they might make money, since these days, several games have succeeded with that model.

They should at least use the same characters, even if it's not the same Mario or Zelda games that people are used to. Don't substitute Mario with Marco or any of that bullshit.

I disagree. I don't think the plan is to attract mobile gamers onto Nintendo hardware for core Nintendo games, but as an alternative market valuable in its own right that Nintendo wants a piece of. If N. can make a few hundred million a year on some Mario match 3 or Pokemon Card Battler, that's worth trying. There's no obvious transition from those sorts of games to Mario World and LoZ. Even a more core-focussed game as I hope N. make won't necessarily encourage people to transition to a Nintendo console because it'll be a good game in its own right. If games are clearly lacking on the touch screen, they aren't well implemented.

Iwata has already made statements that they are hoping to transition consumers from mobile to their dedicated hardware. Ultimately I don't see many of those consumers making that transition, but that is part of Nintendo's plan to continue growing its dedicated hardware market. With that said, I do think they will ultimately see the mobile market as an avenue for cheap high profit software. Nintendo still has Iconic IP's, so even for those non gamers, Nintendo's IP's will stand out in the mobile market. Basically going with your Mario Match and Pokémon Card Battler idea, those same games without Nintendo's IP's are less likely to do well.

They aren't just bringing games to Mobile, but to PC as well.

http://techcrunch.com/2015/03/17/nintendo-teases-nx-its-next-dedicated-gaming-console/

One of the slides has the 3 Nintendo systems (3DS, Wii U, NX) on one side with Tablet, Smartphone, and PC on the other side.

They'll be going multi-platform to some extent while remaining console exclusive. Similar to what Microsoft is going to be doing. Only less limited (Microsoft being only Windows tablets and smartphones AFAIK).
This slide is about membership service being available everywhere.
Like PS app on android and iOS, PSN web shop, etc.

Looks like Nintendo was able to get back in the black. We will see official reports from Nintendo soon, but its good to see them making a good profit again after a rough couple of years.
Not terribly happy about that, because it will just enable nintendo leadership to continue deluding themselves they can keep on business as usual without any need for serious change. Already Zelda has slipped into a 2016 title for example, less than a year after first being shown off in public. They gotta stop with that shit, get their procrastination-based development process under control. After over thirty fucking years in this business they should have learned by now how to get a game out the door at least reasonably on time.

In the black means that they are no longer losing money right? Nothing worse of price they should never have gotten there to begin with.
Now I think that with their last move on the handheld market (the "new" 3DS which is what the Wii is to the Gamecube without the new gimmick, though a massively improved one) they are in a good position to get caught their pant down if Sony or somebody else were to try to steal that market from them.
The entry bar could hardly be lower wrt to hardware perfs (which in turns affect the BOM).

Last edited:
@Grall
I see what your saying about potentially not making needed changes, but the fact that Zelda got delayed is what I like about Nintendo. They polish their software, and are willing to delay to make sure the quality is up to their standards. We have seen other developers release games that require multiple patches just to get the game to an acceptable level. I don't want Nintendo following that path. I do think they are looking to keep their development environment similar to Wii U with their next hardware so that they aren't constantly going through a new learning curve. Star Fox is going from concept to retail in a little over a year, so I do think they are streamlining development to more quickly create games, but certain games like Zelda are just to big to rush it.

Yes, back in the black means they made money for the fiscal year. After all the expenses were paid, they cleared about 220 million dollars. I expect them to have a repeat this coming fiscal year thanks to the popularity of Amiibo, and multiple first party releases, along with the mobile offerings coming later this year. Nintendo is making changes, perhaps reluctantly so, but changes that they need to make none the less.

Not terribly happy about that, because it will just enable nintendo leadership to continue deluding themselves they can keep on business as usual without any need for serious change. Already Zelda has slipped into a 2016 title for example, less than a year after first being shown off in public. They gotta stop with that shit, get their procrastination-based development process under control. After over thirty fucking years in this business they should have learned by now how to get a game out the door at least reasonably on time.

Nintendo's leadership is lead by mostly people that are and were game developers, they know what is the best for their product and delay of Zelda in long run is better for the game and Nintendo can afford it and deliver a high quality product and almost every 3D home console Zelda game was delayed so it is not a surprise for anyone that is a Nintendo fan or at very least follows what Nintendo does.

That last sentence of yours does not make sense since Nintendo does what you are asking for.

http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2015/...and-awful-working-conditions-killed-wii-game/
That illustrates pretty well my view of the issues the company faces, it does no go with the best partners based on pretty irrational (lets say...) basics.

Yea, when I saw that, I was disgusted with Nintendo, and I am a big Nintendo fan. Its as if they have no desire to have western development teams that are anything more than grunt labor for their bosses in Kyoto. This makes me all but certain than Retro Studios will never be the same studio that created the Prime series, and will likely be stuck doing games that Nintendo feels they can manage from afar. When they should be expanding Retro and NST, they have instead increased their grip, and are choking them to death.

Back