Encyclopedia Brown & The Mysterious Case of the PS4 and the Missing Anisotropic Filtering

Status
Not open for further replies.
not sure fi you guys are aware that even the PC version of dying light was scale back in the earlier patch when it comes to draw distance to improve performance, I forgot if it was 1.03 or 1.04 where what used to be 50% become the new 80%. Not sure if it was ever reverted back in the new 1.05, but the developer is definitely messing around still to get the sweet spot for performance vs visual. I would not be surprise they are modifying the LOD across all platform.

stolen from GAF (again, no change evident):

Taken from DF before patch:
inO7vT0piojKP.jpg

Pic I took after patch:
ibzsDmXZXdKKts.png

Agreed, everyone just double posted. LOL. It looks like a wash. Developers are just patching the game as suggested earlier.

edit: also very difficult to tell between 8x and 16x btw. Really difficult. Without direct comparison it's really challenging.

Latest post on GAF on Dying Light AF Patch. Reported AF increased, but they feel LOD decreased. You're going to have to look at it yourself to judge, but I think looking at the trees they might be right:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=156286873&postcount=1379

I have already seen this gif and I still don't see any significant differences. I see a perfectly identical number of trees in both.

Before patch:
iX27QrJkj0jjv.jpg

after:
image.jpg

The only difference is in the number of grass but we have already seen in previous games that some simple vegetation can be randomized (for instance in Need for speed on PS4 & XB1).

Here is a another pic form the PS4 patched version where we can see even more grass than in the un-patched version (granted the character is nearer but still I don't think that grass appears suddenly so near the character, does it?)

image.jpg

But I see that the latest post of @goonergaz even shows some slight LOD improvement on the PS4 patched version... The performance penalty theory, whatever how it is formulated, is becoming less solid days after days...

Not necessarily ;) It provides ample proof that the hardware is capable (I never suggested it wasn't). It also provides light that developers can enable or disable it at will, or at least know how to (what I was suggesting). It unfortunately doesn't answer as to why they left it out at launch.

I have already seen this gif and I still don't see any significant differences. I see a perfectly identical number of trees in both.

Before patch:
iX27QrJkj0jjv.jpg

after:
image.jpg

I must be blind as I see no definite evidence of improved AF. While the wall on the right side looks somewhat sharper on the after-patch ver, the wall on the left looks sharper on the pre-patched especially the grafiti which is clearly more defined and sharper than the post patch version. I find that odd because the left wall is at the most oblique angle where the higher levels of AF would readily show themselves.

He was demonstrating the LOD differences, not AF. The player is not in the same position so it's an apples to oranges comparison in regards to AF. Not to mention the after screenshot is only 720p.

There are plenty of apples to apples comparisons showing the AF improvements in that same thread.

He was demonstrating the LOD differences, not AF. The player is not in the same position so it's an apples to oranges comparison in regards to AF. Not to mention the after screenshot is only 720p.

There are plenty of apples to apples comparisons showing the AF improvements in that same thread.

I am not talking about the third pic but the spoiler pic which is a before and after. The player may not be in the exact same position but its fairly close. Furthermore I don't have access to the thread and I am only going off just the two pics posted.

Can we come to an official conclusion on AF for PS4 and properly close this thread out?
I'm happy with the results:

AF is not an SDK bug, clearly works
Developers know how to enable AF on PS4.
If it didn't make the cut for launch, give the developers enough time to optimize, and presto it appears.

Can we come to an official conclusion on AF for PS4 and properly close this thread out?
I'm happy with the results:

AF is not an SDK bug, clearly works
Developers know how to enable AF on PS4.
If it didn't make the cut for launch, give the developers enough time to optimize, and presto it appears.

You simply can't jump to any conclusions yet. AF has always worked and we don't know if the SDK had any thing to do with it. We don't know if anything new about optimization either. Follow the evidence even if it doesn't agree with your working hypothesis (which means throw out the hypothesis).

Alright. Well we've had several developers indicate it is not an SDK bug. I'm not sure if that has been considered for evidence yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back