Crytek are going to announce a huge license deal. Maybe it will reinstate the studio.

Cyan

orange
Legend
Supporter
In order to get out of financial strife, Crytek have secured a licensing deal that hopefully will put the company back on track, so they don't suffer from financial woes anymore.

It seems like an aggressive move from either Sony or Microsoft (maybe Nintendo, I think they would love the CryEngine to use in games no matter how their philosophy is). We shall know soon...

Anyways, the point is that now that they landed this deal the company will be financially stable again. After not being able to pay some of their employees this can put the company back in the limelight after some turbulent years.

A number of important team members left Crytek months ago, and they took Homefront 2 with them, because much of that team has ended up at Deep Silver.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2015/03...icensing-deal-huge-will-announce-partner-soon

Last edited:
I can only think "huge" to mean with the military or some govt entity. Doesn't seem like a private corp would have those kinds of resources.

They burned bridges with EA and Ubi, maybe MS will task them to create something new for Xbone.

Or maybe, some deal with Facebook/Oculus.

Last edited:
I can only think "huge" to mean with the military or some govt entity. Doesn't seem like a private corp would have those kinds of resources.
Government and military mostly use Virtual Battlespace 3 which is a massively complex simulation system with a great toolchain and a large number of simulation plugins provided by other companies. You want to develop a CBRN detection simulation software for the battlefield or first responders, you write it for VBS3. You want to prototype a new piece of equipment in the battlefield, you model it's performance and capabilities in VBS3 because most NATO key partners use it, as well as plenty of other people.

Microsoft would be the logical choice
Eh, if they're getting bought out, anyone with the resources and perceived desire would be "the logical choice"; we all have eyes, we can all see the graphics Crytek has created, not just on the bone but especially the PC.

Anyway, I sure hope they're not getting bought out by either console vendor. We've got enough exclusive shit as it is.

I wonder if Crytek still has talent who didn't leave the company yet or if they've been reduced to little more than IP value.

Regardless, if I were to buy Crytek, I'd do it on the condition that the Yerli brothers leave the management permanently.

The wording is interesting... It's a licensing deal, so they're not being bought outright by anyone, but their engine will be used by someone on something big.

I have to say, announcing and announcement is such a tease. Just announce the bloody thing, don't announce that you will announce something huge soon!

Crytek says big partnership will be announced soon... in the day before nVidia's keynote.
Hum...

Is this that they (Crytek) are licensing their engine to a a big company, or that they (Crytek) have secured a deal to start making licensed games on behalf of a major publisher?

EA wouldn't make sense. They should be happy enough with Frostbyte.
Ubisoft has Dunia, which is kind of an early fork of the CryEngine itself.

Perhaps Zenimax/Bethesda for the next Fallout and/or Elder Scrolls?

Microsoft would be the logical choice as Ryse is still considered the graphical reference on XB1 for many.

Seeing as MS has purchased Mojang (Minecraft), for a pretty penny... I would think MS management would be more interested in making (keeping) Mojang successful, as well as getting the other purchased internal studios (specifically, the lack luster ones) into better shape.

Last edited:
It's going to be a chinese or korean company. I'm positive about it.

This is most likely, IMO. Perhaps they've gotten a deal from Tencent Holdings in China (one of the largest companies in the world) or one of the massive Korean PC publishers.

There's also a potential that an investment group in Russia might try to make a big play. Crytek's F2P shooter was fairly popular there and PC gaming is on the rise there as well (many Korean MMO's get Russian translations and releases before the rest of the world).

Tencent would be huge. Although Tencent already holds a major stake in Epic Games and thus Unreal Engine.

Other than that, out of the Western Publishers, only Microsoft really makes sense. Or perhaps Activision wants to acquire a universal engine for use by their studios? I don't see Activision as very likely, however.

Regards,
SB

Seeing as MS has purchased Mojang (Mindcraft), for a pretty penny... I would think MS management would be more interested in making (keeping) Mojang successful, as well as getting the other purchased internal studios (specifically, the lack luster ones) into better shape.

INDEED! Minecraft - Cry Engine exclusive XB1 hololensed edition? :runaway:

EA wouldn't make sense. They should be happy enough with Frostbyte.
Ubisoft has Dunia, which is kind of an early fork of the CryEngine itself.

Perhaps Zenimax/Bethesda for the next Fallout and/or Elder Scrolls?

Bethesda is already a licensee of the cryengine so is Take2. Frostbite doesn't seem to be loved much at EA as outside of DICE, only Bioware makes regular use of it.

Why would nVidia do something that lost them money?

.................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................

Back