Formula 1 - 2015 season

Why go with 2 when you can go 3? Imagine the possibilities with 3 paying drivers
3.jpg

Aaaand it's on, FP1, first cars are already on track

I am going to say that Mercedes have a 0.6 second advantage which is actually bigger than it seems because this is a street track where usually engine power and aero is less important than traction and mechanical grip. I believe you wont really see the true difference in performance until you get to a dedicated race circuit. Once there though I reckon the differential will be more like 1-1.2 seconds in race conditions.

I am going to say that Mercedes have a 0.6 second advantage which is actually bigger than it seems because this is a street track where usually engine power and aero is less important than traction and mechanical grip. I believe you wont really see the true difference in performance until you get to a dedicated race circuit. Once there though I reckon the differential will be more like 1-1.2 seconds in race conditions.
But then engine torque is really important in Australia with lots of acceleration, Mercedes should be on top on that too
1.1 sec 1st practice, but the list seemed quite a mess anyway so who knows what programs everyone was running

So I was closest, told you Mercedes were being nice saying they were only 0.8 seconds ahead.
Well, it was based on the tests, and reportedly Ferrari is running underpowered in Australia compared to testing season "to ensure reliability"

what channel is that, also is that Webber he's a good commentator (over 1 lap at least)
Australian TV channel One(HD) I think
edit: yep, it's it. It's Ten's sport channel or something, they at least used to broadcast Sky's F1 broadcasts with their own logos etc

Just some info. From the interview by a (some?) Japanese media, Arai give some insight on why Honda engine was slow. This is not a translation but basically my interpretation of what was written on the article. Basically the MGU-K only being used to lower fuel consumption. They can't really top up the energy storage, probably because the MGU-K wasn't being run at full capacity. Arai used the term plus minus zero, which probably meant the MGU-K is basically not filling the energy storage ,and again, only there to help with the fuel consumption. Also as the consequence of this, Button need to perform a lot of fuel saving himself (like coasting).
They also want to run with a (PU?) mapping system where if the temp goes high, the PU will run in lower performance. So basically they want to run full power and automatically (or manually?) throttle the PU if it got hot. But they found out that doing that could damage the PU, thus they are forced to run on a lower performance mapping (probably this detuned engine stuff). Basically they want to run at full power, but right now they just can't.

Did you notice at the start of the race, just in front of the start line there was a message
(painted/sprayed/chalked) that said something like " Ron will miss you Bernie"
What was that all about ?

Edit : found it - like looks professionally done
T4p0GO2.jpg

Last edited:
They are referencing the race promoter for Melbourne. This was his last time doing it.

And it is digital, AFAIK, rendered into the broadcast by FOM.

Lol indeed. Guess now all the trophies have gone they forgot about finger boys 4 championships were they dominated just as much as Mercedes.

So, after just one year and one race it sounds like Red Bull may be getting ready to implode. Horner is getting increasingly shrill about rule changes - this weekend alone he's said wind tunnels should be banned and the FIA should apply and "equalisation" rule to reign in Mercedes - and some hours after the race Helmut Marko threatened that Red Bull may quit the sport.

Meanwhile, in the background, Renault has been unhappy about its position as a pure engine supplier (it doesn't get direct technical input to the rules, it doesn't get direct marketing benefits from FOM and it is getting limited marketing gains through Red Bull) so there have been suggestions they are shopping around for a team to buy and get back in fully. Additionally, F1 people have courting VW group for many years, and last year they hired former Ferrari team principle Stephano Domenicali. It sounds like Red Bull is lining itself for a partnership / sale to VW while Toro Russo has been identified as the best candidate for a full Renault works entry.

Back