Paradox Engine

Finally some slides out of this goddamn event:

http://paradox3d.net/blog/gdc-2015-scene-editor-new-rendering

EDIT: The glare effect on slide 7 looks godly. Finally a game engine that approaches this:

Not a coincidence since the creator of this tech-demo works in Silicon Studio.
Mmmm I remember playing with that demo years ago and I had the impression that realtime graphics already very much matched and surpassed it. Maybe my memory fails me.

It does. It was pretty much PBR 10 years ago with optical simulations to boot.

Technical features of the demo:
    • True HDR (High-Dynamic Range) Rendering
    • IBL (Image-Based Lighting)
    • Glare Generation (Afterimage, Bloom, Halo, Ghost, and Star)
    • Automatic Exposure Adjustment
    • Iris shaped Depth of Field blur
    • Realistic Motion Blur
    • FSAA (Full-Scene Anti-Alias)
    • Fresnel Effect (Specular Reflectance) etc

www.daionet.gr.jp/~masa/rthdribl/

We're almost there but not quite yet.

We're almost there but not quite yet.

Not quite? In which way? Most big-budget games (certainly anything using UE4) are going to tick off all of those check boxes, and in some cases do it in ways that are more efficient and/or higher quality than what was used in that demo.

Really the only thing that's hard to match is the motion blur, which was done in that demo by making assumptions about the shape of the geo (it would only work for spheres).

Glare and DOF are still very basic in comparison. Thankfully, Yebis is gaining ground.

And I'm still waiting to see proper glass rendering in a commercial game with reflection, refraction (based on physical values) and chromatic dispersion. With deferred being the mainstream rendering choice nowadays I doubt it's happening soon.

The beta for the new version of the Paradox Engine has been released:

http://paradox3d.net/blog/new-version-1-1-0-beta-physically-based-rendering-and-scene-editor
  • Physically Based Rendering with Layered Material System
  • A brand new scene editor that is now the central piece of Paradox to assemble your game levels, test the rendering, script your entities.
  • Scene rendering compositor, offering a new way to define precisely how to render scenes in your game, apply post effects...etc.
  • Easy-to-use and powerful post-effects API coming along many built-in effects (Depth Of Field, Bloom, Lens Flare, Glare, ToneMapping, Vignetting, Film Grain, Antialiasing...)
  • New implementation of Shadow Mapping, supporting SDSM (Sample Distribution Shadow Maps with adaptive depth splits)
  • Scripting System, to easily add behavior and data to entities
  • In Visual Studio, when you edit .pdxsl shaders, there is now Error Highlighting and F12 (Go to Definition) to make shader editing as smooth as possible.
  • A new launcher, that can manage several versions of Paradox SDK side-by-side

Back