The Order: 1886

Played it yesterday and it is very nice. Voice acting and sound is really good too. And I have to say, I really like the widescreen effect. My wife actually had to ask when it was still a movie and when I was playing. I don't like the fact that a headshot isn't an instant kill though.

Really? The very first enemy types didn't die unless I shot them three times, doesn't really matter where I hit them. I'll try some more.

Looks like some sort of (rasterized?) element is sometimes used with objects that don't use the high-quality cubemaps. Means that the game has some degree of stable real-time reflections, although it's probably a pretty cheap approach that couldn't be superimposed nicely onto those cubemaps.

Subsurface scattered.

Perhaps related to the non-perspective projection I mentioned in the DF thread, it looks like this game probably doesn't actually have 1:1 pixel mapping. Not that that would be a huge issue for its visual style, being deliberately soft and all.

Really? The very first enemy types didn't die unless I shot them three times, doesn't really matter where I hit them. I'll try some more.
Headshots are definitely a thing.

Looks like some sort of (rasterized?) element is sometimes used with objects that don't use the high-quality cubemaps. Means that the game has some degree of stable real-time reflections, although it's probably a pretty cheap approach that couldn't be superimposed nicely onto those cubemaps.

Subsurface scattered.

Perhaps related to the non-perspective projection I mentioned in the DF thread, it looks like this game probably doesn't actually have 1:1 pixel mapping. Not that that would be a huge issue for its visual style, being deliberately soft and all.

What do you mean by rasterized element?

BTW, i also saw realtime reflections on one of the wet rooftops. it was Lafayete getting reflected in water, but it was a blacking reflection, like a silhoutte. Something like what u have shown here in fron of the Galahad, if its not a shadow,.

Hmm. So far I'd tend to agree with DF that it's not clear that 4xMSAA is present. It's a bit hard to pick out what's going on with the geometry sampling (the patterns are strangely, I don't know, blobby?), but it certainly doesn't look 4:1.

Thin stuff:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/B_o8OwhVAAAUhJ9.jpg:orig

The "stairsteps" around that panel slightly right of center are also aliases.

Last edited:
It'd be funny if it's 4*MSAA but the type that gets borked due to other stuff like alpha or lighting etc. Funny because it'd be a glaring oversight to do the multi sampling pass before those things for a game that is so immaculate in oresentation, for the most part.

I've observed that most if not all of the reflection in the game that aren't silhouettes of characters actually lack colour really as they are all similarly coloured (off white in colour) at least in my observation.

Last edited:
All those dynamic reflections are probably using the same image-based proxys they use for ambient occlusion. The reflections of characters, are probably just a bunch of spheroids.

I've noticed the lamp reflection on the glasses looked absolutely incredible, it retains a very decent resolution and the HDR bloom too. Also since the game is rock solid 30fps, I wonder how much headroom is been kept since it has to average well above 30fps right?

So, uh, refractions. Feels more like Halo 2 than Halo 2 Anniversary does. :p

I found a seam! :D

//==============================

Anyway, finished the game. It was alright. Actually quite exciting when encounters were staged to get you to play actively, but that was unfortunately sparse.

Low camera combined with the vertical FoV usually wasn't an issue, but felt restrictive in occasional spots with high or messy cover walls, or when looking onto a lower area. I'm thinking especially of a certain stealth section.

Visually, "simple" materials looked great, performance rarely dropped, and there wasn't a lot in the way of screen-space artifacts and pop-in and whatnot. More complex materials were sometimes noticeably imperfect, but still very good. Very little noticeable aliasing, too. Generally sort of blurry, although it didn't really aggravate me that much except when distant targets weren't resolving well in battle (could have been partly a DoF thing).
Style was effective and very consistent without getting boring.

Audio seemed decent.

Last edited:

Subsurface scattered.

In that image it looks like it's specular occlusion from the character's proxy occluder. It's not rasterized, it's an analytical calculation done using the position, size, and orientation of the capsule.

As for the projection...we rasterize with a standard perspective projection, but afterwards we apply a full-screen shader to simulate barrel distortion.

Hmm. So far I'd tend to agree with DF that it's not clear that 4xMSAA is present. It's a bit hard to pick out what's going on with the geometry sampling (the patterns are strangely, I don't know, blobby?), but it certainly doesn't look 4:1.

Thin stuff:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/B_o8OwhVAAAUhJ9.jpg:orig

The "stairsteps" around that panel slightly right of center are also aliases.

I assure you that we shipped with MSAA. :p

Back