Digital Foundry Article Technical Discussion Archive [2015]

Status
Not open for further replies.
"We're very friendly with the Oculus guys, sharing opinions and inviting each other to show the latest demos... Some technical things they do before us, and other things we do before them. So for both companies, from a management standpoint, we are helping each other to get the engineers to work harder by creating healthy competition. Engineers are very honest people - when they see someone achieving something, not just talking about it, they're like - OK, we should do better."

Lovely.

Face-Off: Dragonball Xenoverse

"Already on call to develop Street Fighter 5, Dimps gets its mitts on early with PlayStation 4 and Xbox One to achieve very mixed results. Though cut from a different technical cloth to Capcom's upcoming fighter - a more advanced Unreal Engine 4 title - Dragonball Xenoverse uses the studio's in-house tech to produce a 3v3 brawler in a destructible 3D space. There are some interesting ideas here, but also areas where the tech shows its age on newer hardware."

What is the FOV of 1886? I 'm actually curious what the default FOV is for a TPS
Uh.

Yeah, about that.

It can be tricky to measure FoV for 3rd-person games. Rotations cause camera motion, so simply rotating in place can be inaccurate if you're not looking at infinite-distance skybox objects. When I wanted to precisely find the FoV in Destiny's Tower (which is 3rd-person), I instead did it by measuring how known geometry (a square) was being projected in a single frame.

I tried doing the same with The Order, but I was getting highly variable results flopping about the 90's. When I looked at phenomena that were as wide as the whole screen, it dawned on me why my approach wasn't working.

B_nfsZxUcAAIL2s.jpg:large

B_nfvlKU8AA0WIO.jpg:large

Notice how the "straight lines" on the floor have a bit of concavity to them, especially near top and bottom of the screen? And how that concavity switches depending on whether they're on the upper or lower half of the screen?

The Order 1886 isn't quite using standard perspective projection.

//================================

As for the answer to the question?

After what I've been able to try so far, I'd (hesitantly) guess somewhere in the ballpark of 90-93 degrees.

And an I3 and a 7790 to run DBZ Xenoverse at 60 fps. You need to take care a little when you port a game from PC to PS4/Xbox One probably CPU bound and bad multithreading...

Last edited:
As mentioned in the article, there's a good reason for them to move to UE4 for their next projects it seems.

If HDR tv works, it won't be a gimmick. The idea is to have incredibly fined-grained local dimming/brightness, so you can have something like a candle glow on screen without it messing up the brightness of the pixels around it inappropriately. That means you get high contrast, realistic brightness and an expanded colour gamut.

Think of what JJ Abrams will be able to do with lens flares!!!!
Lens flare is one of my preferred techniques and I think it would immensely benefit from a proper HDR. This is a screengrab I took days ago during a match -the Atlanta Hawks are my favourite NBA team-. This image was constantly on camera during a break. This is how it looks in real life. Also if you look at the streetlights at night you can see the effect

1nyzj5.png

And an I3 and a 7790 to run DBZ Xenoverse at 60 fps. You need to take care a little when you port a game from PC to PS4/Xbox One probably CPU bound and bad multithreading...

I wonder what the result would be, had they simply downclocked the i7 to ~1GHz. That would be a much better approach to the new-gen consoles.
If the game ran faster on a 1GHz i7 + GT650 Ti, then there would definitely be something very wrong with the ports.

The eye is a camera. You get the same set of aberrations as you do in a camera.

Light is diffracted by dirt, eye lashes, eye lids and the pupil itself. Lights is also refracted in the lens leading to colour aberrations. The darker it is, the more dilated the pupil is the more point lights distort.

If you squint at a street light at night, you get the star-like lens flares

Cheers

If you can see a star-flare in your eyes, you have a significant visual anomaly! Star flares require a lens filter covered in criss-crossed lines. http://www.cs.mtu.edu/~shene/DigiCam/User-Guide/filter/filter-star.html
Well...it sounds reasonable, but I wonder who is the digital image technician broadcasting that, because it gives you a sense of realism through an american-dream-fanciness-lens-filter, so to speak. I mean, I thought the lights were real, to the point that I'd love to be there....

Twilight is one of my favourite movies, maybe they used this lens flare effect to create the sparkling skin.

cross-water.jpg

Honestly, these ports are starting to get annoying. AF/noAF I can live with. But a game that should be running easily at 60fps, dropping frames half the time? Come on!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back