TressFX: A new frontier of Realism in PC gaming

Good thing AMD is in all next gen consoles. It will be the perfect platform to make compute in games more prevalent than it is today.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2...e-edition-is-more-than-a-facelift-dev-insists

Tomb Raider gets "forward ported" to PS4/XBOX One with TressFX included in this version.

TressFX 2.0 SDK is also available:

http://developer.amd.com/tools-and-sdks/graphics-development/amd-radeon-sdk/
http://www.slideshare.net/DevCentralAMD/gs4147-billbilodeau

TressFX 3.0 will be showcased in one month on GDC

Augmented Hair in Deus Ex Universe projects: TressFX 3.0 (Presented by AMD)
In this talk, engineers from Eidos and AMD detail the TressFX 3.0 solution used in Dawn Engine which will be the cornerstone to the development of the Deus Ex Universe projects at the studio. We show how Eidos graphics engineers built upon TressFX to break new grounds and deliver a realistic and scalable hair solution in the Dawn Engine for PC and consoles. With a focus on game requirements such as artistic control and animation support this talk will cover the practical considerations of a full TressFX pipeline, from authoring to rendering. In addition, for simulation, we address topics such as collisions, shape preservation, stretching, and wind. For rendering, we discuss how to blend strands with traditional hair meshes, antialiasing solutions, and translucency sorting techniques. We will also cover the latest TressFX 3.0 advancements from AMD, including skinning and fur support, an open source Maya plugin, and new rendering options for optimum scalability.

Takeaway
Attendees will learn what quality and performance improvements and trade-offs were made in the Dawn engine TressFX implementation that will be used in the studio's upcoming titles. They will also see what features a full TressFX pipeline needs to support for AAA game development. And they will learn the latest advancements found in TressFX 3.0.
http://schedule.gdconf.com/session/...universe-projects-tressfx-30-presented-by-amd

20141209catomega21.jpg

I think it is a safe bet that in addition of Deus Ex Universe, Rise of the Tomb Raider will also use this new version of TressFX.

Well, there is Lara's hair and all beasts that are confirmed to be part of the game [wolves/bears]. Devs have said that they will be integrated into gameplay same was as in FarCry 3/4, Lara will have to hunt specific animals to be able to craft various things.

This GDC conference look more and more interesting each day, i should go there , but im blocked here for my work )... well i should take some days for go there.

Lara will have to hunt specific animals to be able to craft various things.
Ahh, the joys of computer game crafting is coming to Tomb Raider.

*Rolls Bones And Predicts The Future*

"Recipe: Russian Ushanka
50x Bushy Wolf Tail"
...Then you discover that only 1 wolf in 3 actually has a tail once you've killed and looted it... :p

Last edited:
Wasnt crafting in the previous one or am i mis remembering that
ps: tressfx performance is going to have to improve a whole lot if it wants to be more than a novelty feature

Wasnt crafting in the previous one or am i mis remembering that
ps: tressfx performance is going to have to improve a whole lot if it wants to be more than a novelty feature
IIRC TressFX 2.0 already improved the performance a lot

I wonder with Witcher 3 and RotTR we might be able to extrapolate a comparison between FurWorks and TressFX for animal fur.

Cannot wait to see the talks and the tech in games.
I wonder if it's possible to tweak for almost invisible hair and be used for facial/body hair on humans.

Just want to bump this. To see if anyone saw the talk on tress fx 3.0. I can't see anything online.

Im interested to see what developments have been made in real time hair rendering.

Just want to bump this. To see if anyone saw the talk on tress fx 3.0. I can't see anything online.

Im interested to see what developments have been made in real time hair rendering.

Augmented Hair in Deus Ex Universe Projects: TressFX 3.0 (Presented by AMD)
Uriel Doyon | 3D Programmer, Eidos Montreal
Jason Stewart | MTS Software Engineer, AMD
Date: Thursday, March 5

Vault Recording: Not Recorded

I dont know, maybe we will need someone write something about it.

Back