News & Rumors: Xbox One (codename Durango)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Also what would be the point of streaming any Xbox one game to your windows device if all the games will be available to play natively on your PC, phone or tablet?
Seriously what is the point of this feature rancid?

I've already explained this before. First, not all devices will be capable of playing the games. Nobody is saying that you'll be able to play Haloz on your Window Phone.

Second, it appears that now you are just latching on to this "streaming" thing as the sole evidence that games that were formerly Xbox exclusives won't be available on Windows PCs. As I've said before, the % of console users that also have a PC hooked up to their main TV (the TV that their console is hooked up to), is very very very very very very (I could keep going) small.

So, yes... With this streaming feature, if you are playing on your Xbox and wife and friends and kids and whatever want to watch TV instead of watching you play Haloz, you can go into your office/computer room/whatever and continue to play the game while they watch TV. How is this any different than them just allowing you to access Live and play all your Xbox games on the PC to begin with? It isn't. But what I see as a first step towards a transition, you somehow see as proof that there is no transition.

I guess I just don't understand people that don't realize that the Xbox was a trojan horse into the living room with the sole purpose of providing people an entertainment hub. If MS can get you into their ecosystem without actually having to sell you hardware (either at a loss ala Xbox and 360 or at break even Xb1), then they are winning.

What I find interesting about this is that you seem to really have some desire to buy an Xbox4, and I'm still not sure why that is.

Last edited:
This is from Major Nelson today after responding to a tweet about asking to pay for Gold on Windows 10...

Seriously? Let's define the parameters that we are debating. I have no doubt that MS will continue to sell games that don't require a subscription to play multiplayer.

Whether or not that includes games that currently would be considered "Xbox Exclusives" and whether or not that includes games that have "crossplay" enabled is something else. Nothing in any of your links says anything remotely close to the idea that Xb1 users that buy Haloz will have to pay for a Live subscription while those who buy Haloz on the PC will get to play with those same people for free.

OK, let's make this simple about my points...

Own Window 10? Yes. Stop
Buy a Windows 10 game? Yes. Stop
Want to play said game online with friends? Yes. Stop
You do NOT need to purchase Xbox Live Gold to play said game online with friends.

Both of my links prove that's what Microsoft is saying. It has nothing to do with first party, second party or third party exclusives. It has nothing to do with cross-buy, cross-play, etc. It has nothing to do with streaming Xbox One games to Windows 10 devices.

I'm also not talking about Halo or any other real or hypothetical title. If it's a Windows 10 title you will NOT have to pay for Gold to play multiplayer. End of story.

Tommy McClain

Last edited:
I've already explained this before. First, not all devices will be capable of playing the games. Nobody is saying that you'll be able to play Haloz on your Window Phone.

Second, it appears that now you are just latching on to this "streaming" thing as the sole evidence that games that were formerly Xbox exclusives won't be available on Windows PCs. As I've said before, the % of console users that also have a PC hooked up to their main TV (the TV that their console is hooked up to), is very very very very very very (I could keep going) small.

So, yes... With this streaming feature, if you are playing on your Xbox and wife and friends and kids and whatever want to watch TV instead of watching you play Haloz, you can go into your office/computer room/whatever and continue to play the game while they watch TV. How is this any different than them just allowing you to access Live and play all your Xbox games on the PC to begin with? It isn't. But what I see as a first step towards a transition, you somehow see as proof that there is no transition.

I guess I just don't understand people that don't realize that the Xbox was a trojan horse into the living room with the sole purpose of providing people an entertainment hub. If MS can get you into their ecosystem without actually having to sell you hardware (either at a loss ala Xbox and 360 or at break even Xb1), then they are winning.

What I find interesting about this is that you seem to really have some desire to buy an Xbox4, and I'm still not sure why that is.

t
I am a gamer. I buy game consoles. So yes if there is a 4th Xbox I will buy the crap out of it. Same with a 5th PlayStation and 57th Nintendo console. Every single reply you send my way has you somehow trying to turn this whole thing towards me and my supposed short comings. You didn't answer my question about the purpose of having a Xbox to PC streaming feature if all Xbox games are available on your windows 10 PC. You are the one latching on to a very general statement attributed to Phil Spencer and drawing your own conclusions from it. Having a discussion on the hypothetical future of gaming consoles is fine as long as both sides know it is hypothetical. You seem to be under the impression that your version of this reality is something that is set in stone and people should just deal with it or they are console fanboys. There has been no announcement from anyone in Microsoft that the Xbox one and win10 PCs are now one and the same as far as game availability. So I think for the better of the thread and forum if you would like to continue this conversation we should do it in personal messaging. No one wants to hear us bickering over the same crap over and over again.:D

OK, let's make this simple about my points...

Own Window 10? Yes. Stop
Buy a Windows 10 game? Yes. Stop
Want to play said game online with friends? Yes. Stop
You do NOT need to purchase Xbox Live Gold to play said game online with friends.

Both of my links prove that's what Microsoft is saying. It has nothing to do with first party, second party or third party exclusives. It has nothing to do with cross-buy, cross-play, etc. It has nothing to do with streaming Xbox One games to Windows 10 devices.

I'm also not talking about Halo or any other real or hypothetical title. If it's a Windows 10 title you will NOT have to pay for Gold to play multiplayer. End of story.

Tommy McClain

I'm still missing where you provided any links?

I will say that MS continues to have a HUGE PR problem, as exampled here:

http://www.vg247.com/2015/03/06/you-wont-need-xbox-live-gold-to-play-online-on-windows-10/

Where the headline reads you won't need Gold to play crossplay games, and then references a tweet that doesn't have anything to do with crossplay at all, only that you won't need to have Gold in order to play multiplayer games on Windows 10.

These are completely different things, and once again, just like in the initial One launch, MS is not being specific enough in order to make everybody understand. I can't believe they are still this crappy at PR. Who the hell is in charge over there?

. Every single reply you send my way has you somehow trying to turn this whole thing towards me and my supposed short comings.

I am not attacking you, and I do not believe you have any short comings. I believe you are a very interested and resolute Xbox gamer. I am sure there are many Sony fanboys who are reading this thread and getting a kick out of the Xbox on Xbox hate crime that is happening here.

You didn't answer my question about the purpose of having a Xbox to PC streaming feature if all Xbox games are available on your windows 10 PC.

But, yes. Yes, I did. I told you that the % of people who have a PC hooked up to their main TV is a fraction of the % of people that own consoles. Period, point blank. When I tell people I watch everything online they look at me funny because they don't understand why I would want to watch things on a small monitor or a laptop. When I start to explain that there's an HDMI output on my HTPC, their eyes glaze over and they start babbling about gas prices or some other unrelated nonsense.

You are the one latching on to a very general statement attributed to Phil Spencer and drawing your own conclusions from it. Having a discussion on the hypothetical future of gaming consoles is fine as long as both sides know it is hypothetical. You seem to be under the impression that your version of this reality is something that is set in stone and people should just deal with it or they are console fanboys. There has been no announcement from anyone in Microsoft that the Xbox one and win10 PCs are now one and the same as far as game availability. So I think for the better of the thread and forum if you would like to continue this conversation we should do it in personal messaging. No one wants to hear us bickering over the same crap over and over again.:D

First, considering that Beyond3d is a Global forum and not NA specific the majority of people on here prefer the PS (which mirrors global sales and always has) means that this thread has been completely dead until we started having this conversation, so I don't think anybody who wants to read this thread really minds. Second, I'm not sure what part of Spencer's statement was "very general" when he said that MS's vision is that you buy the game once and you play it on any platform you have.

What is very general about that? Seems rather specific to me. Just like their Office 360 subscriptions that you can use on a PC, tablet, phone, etc.

which mirrors global sales and always has

Not last gen...

Only vaguely following but I will believe lots of MS triple A console exclusives will be ported to PC when I see it.

Anyways I've never thought it dissuades somebody from buying a console in the real world, they are separate markets. It just provides ammo for countless forum warrior posts lamenting why they'd buy an Xbox when all it's games are on PC, thus it has no exclusives. But those people weren't going to buy an Xbox anyway. But, this in itself is annoying enough I'd probably rather it not happen.

I'm still missing where you provided any links?

You're in rare form today. You totally missed my post on the bottom of the previous page...

https://forum.beyond3d.com/posts/1829708/

I not only posted the link the Major Nelson twitter post(which you have referenced multiple times), but also the story from January when they showed Xbox on Windows 10.

Anyway, I think you're blowing this way out of proportion. My reasons for posting in regards to Xbox Live on PC was your response in this paragraph only...

RancidLunchmeat said:
As far as not requiring a subscription to Live for PC multiplayer, no.. they couldn't possibly get away with that yet. But I'm willing to bet that if you want to use crossplay, you're going to need a Live subscription. I'm also willing to bet (a little bit less) that those Xbox exclusives that will be made available on the PC will also require a Live subscription for multiplayer, even on the PC.

I was not talking at all about cross-play even though you mentioned it. I was taking issue with your opinion that Microsoft couldn't get away with not charging a subscription for PC multiplayer. They have in fact said they will NOT charge for it. That's what my links were for. Unfortunately you keep talking about cross-play. Until you come to terms with my first argument, there is no way I'm moving on to talk about what my opinion is on cross-play.

Tommy McClain

I'm actually expecting Microsoft to make multiplayer gaming free on Xbox One in the future. Maybe cross play would remain under the gold tier.

But, yes. Yes, I did. I told you that the % of people who have a PC hooked up to their main TV is a fraction of the % of people that own consoles. Period, point blank. When I tell people I watch everything online they look at me funny because they don't understand why I would want to watch things on a small monitor or a laptop. When I start to explain that there's an HDMI output on my HTPC, their eyes glaze over and they start babbling about gas prices or some other unrelated nonsense.
This doesn't answer the question. Again.

Why would Ms push streaming from Xbox One to PC if both your Xbox One and PC have the exact same library of games on them?

This has nothing to do with having a PC hooked up to your TV via HDMI.

Why would Ms push streaming from Xbox One to PC if both your Xbox One and PC have the exact same library of games on them?

Because there are a ton of consumers who aren't interested in PC gaming. All this talk about dx12 and it being a lower level API which offers better performance hasn't resulted in much discussion on whether this shift will impact compatibility and the user issues that come with PC gaming. If streaming is the more user friendly option then it might make sense for those who aren't ready to handle the realities of gaming on a PC natively.

Plus it's not like PCs with a TF gpu are a dime a dozen and generally exist in all homes. If you have the knowledge and the hardware it might not make sense to stream from an xb1. But if you don't then why shouldn't MS offer you the capability.

Probably because many people with PC's don't have one powerful enough to run the latest games? Or even last gen games? But are good enough to take a video stream?

You can easily play a streamed game on a modern Atom tablet, but certainly not run a modern game.

Regards,
SB

It's relatively easy to devise a plan where u offer Live as a paid service and still provide a "free option". You simply tie Live as a free access feature to a purchase from the Microsoft online marketplace. You buy off steam or other alternative source than access to Live servers require you purchase a live membership.

Margins for MS are higher from digital purchases within their store and can more easily absorb the cost of Live.

You want absolutely free multiplayer no strings attached then that's not MS's responsibility to provide. Third party's can offer their own and/or private servers can be an option.

Some PC gamers may want Live access but use Steam for purchases so they maintain a general Live membership. Some may want the first party title but not through MS store or use of Live. All options are covered in terms of consumer choice.

Also what would be the point of streaming any Xbox one game to your windows device if all the games will be available to play natively on your PC, phone or tablet?
Seriously what is the point of this feature rancid?
What if your PC can't run the game?

Their motto is: Your games are your games and are available to you anytime.

Even if they haven't announced yet I'm sure sure they will also add cloud streaming to the equation to achieve such ecosystem.

Right now, they don't have the same library of games, and until DX12 really takes hold there will still be a number roof console-only games keeping people from buying into the PC/xbox/windows 10 ecosystem. In addition, it lets people with meager PC specs and integrated intel graphics play some high fidelity graphical games.

I was not talking at all about cross-play even though you mentioned it. I was taking issue with your opinion that Microsoft couldn't get away with not charging a subscription for PC multiplayer. They have in fact said they will NOT charge for it. That's what my links were for. Unfortunately you keep talking about cross-play. Until you come to terms with my first argument, there is no way I'm moving on to talk about what my opinion is on cross-play.

I'm still not sure if I wasn't clear or you misinterpreted what I was saying. I was saying that MS couldn't get away with charging for PC multiplayer, PC players would have a fit. This was my first statement about MS possibly charging for PC multiplayer:

As far as not requiring a subscription to Live for PC multiplayer, no.. they couldn't possibly get away with that yet. But I'm willing to bet that if you want to use crossplay, you're going to need a Live subscription. I'm also willing to bet (a little bit less) that those Xbox exclusives that will be made available on the PC will also require a Live subscription for multiplayer, even on the PC.

Here, I stated that MS couldn't possibly get away with requiring a subscription to play PC multiplayer games but that I believe that crossplay will require a subscription and that games that were formerly Xbox exclusives might also require a subscription. Your link doesn't address crossplay, it also doesn't address exclusives that might require Gold subscriptions on PC regardless of any multiplayer aspect. What about Sunset Overdrive? An Xb1 exclusive that still might require a Gold subscription to play on the PC and has no multiplayer component.

I'd also like to add that I'm not the one confusing crossplay with multiplayer, you mentioned that yourself.

No way, no how, they charge for multiplayer on PC after what they've said now. That's including crossplay. And that's including every title, including first party exclusives like Halo 5.

You stated that you believe they won't require a subscription for crossplay or for any formerly Xb1 exclusive, "After what they've said now."

None of your links demonstrate statements from MS that can be logically followed to the conclusion you are reaching. All they've said is that they won't charge PC users for playing multiplayer. Nothing about crossplay, nothing about exclusives.

You keep acting as if I've said that MS is going to charge for multiplayer gaming on the PC and the very message you responded to has me saying this:

Seriously? Let's define the parameters that we are debating. I have no doubt that MS will continue to sell games that don't require a subscription to play multiplayer.

Whether or not that includes games that currently would be considered "Xbox Exclusives" and whether or not that includes games that have "crossplay" enabled is something else. Nothing in any of your links says anything remotely close to the idea that Xb1 users that buy Haloz will have to pay for a Live subscription while those who buy Haloz on the PC will get to play with those same people for free.

It seems to me that you are not only confused about what I'm saying, but you also seem to be basing your opinions on things that MS hasn't actually said. I see it the same way dobawl see's it:

It's relatively easy to devise a plan where u offer Live as a paid service and still provide a "free option". You simply tie Live as a free access feature to a purchase from the Microsoft online marketplace. You buy off steam or other alternative source than access to Live servers require you purchase a live membership.

So, right. I don't think anybody is saying that MS is going to require a Gold subscription to play multiplayer PC games on Windows 10. Perhaps that's why I don't understand your confusion. It's a strawman argument that never existed. But if you want crossplay, etc.. I'm betting that you'll need a Gold subscription.

Last edited:
And, on a different note, there's this:

http://www.redgamingtech.com/esram-performance-improves-15-dx12-info-xbox-one-analysis/

So DX12 increases esram performance by 15% and GPU performance by 20% and now the Xb1 is the most powerful gaming console in the history of powerful gaming consoles, YEAAAAAH!!!

On a serious note, I think we can all see that esram isn't being maximized, so I would expect to continue to see improvements anyway. But I'm confused about a few things. First, since this esram boost is also attributed to DX12, was MS so forward thinking that they built the hardware with the vision of taking advantage of DX12 and launched it early and "less than optimal" knowing these improvements would come down the pike? And second, with the exception of the esram (which is really only there to compensate for the difference in DDR3 and GDDR5) if DX12 improved GPU performance by 20% (Scott Arm: I know those aren't real numbers, that was one game in one situation and on the PC, not the Xb1), wouldn't the PS4 see a similar GPU performance gain?

I'm unclear as to why all this DX12 talk seems to be restricted to just the Xb1. I get that DX12 will improve esram performance that the PS4 doesn't have, but isn't the PS4 GPU also DX12 compliant?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back