The Order: 1886

I hope other console developer will think more about image quality do less but each effect with great quality and ditch any effect with very visible artifact.

Last edited:
If you guys are interested, a few of my buddies on the environment art team decided to a put an art dump on the polycount forums:

http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=149706
Dude, I was about to send you a PM.

Me and my friends send a standing ovation to what you guys have achieved "clap" "clap" "clap" :cool: ! you guys made our dream world come alive in such vivid detail that we are lost in it ! We love the game and love love :love::love::love: the setting and atmosphere ! If it had not been for the word of mouth from my friends, I would have missed it, but thanx to word of mouth which is continuing from me onwards too, the game is spreading like wildfire in our circle and beyond. Fantastic attention to detail and we love the story, setting, characters and the world :yes::yep2:!

let this be clearly heard by the wizards of RAD:
WE WANT MORE:D:D !!!!!

I think the cutscenes were realtime so cant really hide the loading. I think I read something like that in the Digital Foundry article.
I don't believe those things are mutually exclusive. There are no load times and they must be streaming in assets some time. Cutscenes give them the best opportunity to control that process, real-time included.

Okay, I'm tired of the repeated attempt to portray items in the game as nothing more elaborate than the sackboy easter egg. It's like some people have not played the game and only watched a rushed game on youtube.

(tiny spoilers here if you care about discovering them)
What about the newspapers, wax cylinders, letters, etc... explaining the situation with the East India Company, their trade monopoly, their own army, the rebels situation, the population's and nobles' reaction to major events, the queen being nowhere to be seen, the letters from Darwin, the ship manifests, the situation in India, the late 1800s arnarchist movement, Tesla vs Edison, have anyone took the time to listen to the citizens talking about Jack the Ripper?

They provide a lot of context and point out the central pieces defining this alternate history. The Darwin letter about half-breeds remains found in New Guinea was my favorite.

Did you actually look for them? I thought many of them were filled with information.

Yes, some of them do that. Most of them, however, simply don't. And even the ones that do provide some info do it in the most immersion breaking way possible. The fact that I have to go into the pause menu to listen to an audio clip is just beyond stupid. And sorry, I'm not gonna stop and start squinting for the next 10 minutes just so I can read a newspaper article. I know the constable was gunned down anyway. Why? - Because I was there. Most of the stuff you collect, or rather, inspect, is just junk anyway. A picture of two cooks? Sackboy? A wooden mallet belonging to a certain person (I thought it was rather funny that Sir Galahad deemed it necessary to inform me of the name of the item's proprietor in that particular case, but a summary of a newspaper article was too much to ask for)? A patient list? some illegible letters? A pipe? ... Who cares?

I especially love the instances where you have to go through a bunch of drawers containing absolutely nothing yet still counting as collectibles. In one particular late-game scene, the crap you're sifting through is nothing but busywork because there's an invisible timer counting down to the beginning of the next cut-scene. Instead of going through all the drawers and cupboards you can just stay there and wait if you want to. Despite the utter pointlessness of the whole endeavor, everything in that room still counts as a collectible of course, and thanks to the time limit you can't even interact with everything in a single go. You actually have to reload the scene.

Last edited:
I don't believe those things are mutually exclusive. There are no load times and they must be streaming in assets some time. Cutscenes give them the best opportunity to control that process, real-time included.
Funny thing is even going from mai menu to in game is hardly 3-4 seconds :runaway: ! There is some sorcery going on for sure. How can these models n textures load so damn fast. It almost feels wrong when theres virtually no gap between pressing 'continue' on the main menu and the visuals appearing on screen in all their splendour.

Just incredible work by you and the team. Almost worth buying a PS4 for. Wish one of my friends had one.
A lot of those screens do not have the post lens filters that make the game CG like. The visuals are definitely worth getting a ps4 for. If one wants to take a leap into a "new gen" , then this is it.

A lot of those screens do not have the post lens filters that make the game CG like. The visuals are definitely worth getting a ps4 for. If one wants to take a leap into a "new gen" , then this is it.
We'll see :) I'm a PC gamer and stream games to my HTPC for the living room experience. The only console I've ever owned in my entire life was a PS3 and I bought that solely for Rockband.

EDIT: Looks like I'll be getting that PS4, Rockband 4 was just announced :D

Last edited:
I think the cutscenes were realtime so cant really hide the loading. I think I read something like that in the Digital Foundry article.
There are frame drops in some of the cut-scenes they analyzed, which are possibly due to streaming.

Even Gears 1 had sections where you're forced to walk, which was also attributed to streaming in the next area.

Dude, I was about to send you a PM.

Me and my friends send a standing ovation to what you guys have achieved "clap" "clap" "clap" :cool: ! you guys made our dream world come alive in such vivid detail that we are lost in it ! We love the game and love love :love::love::love: the setting and atmosphere ! If it had not been for the word of mouth from my friends, I would have missed it, but thanx to word of mouth which is continuing from me onwards too, the game is spreading like wildfire in our circle and beyond. Fantastic attention to detail and we love the story, setting, characters and the world :yes::yep2:!

let this be clearly heard by the wizards of RAD:
WE WANT MORE:D:D !!!!!

Thank you, I will pass that on to the rest of the team! :)

I am on my third run and I find how RAD hide some shadow maps problem of dynamic elements on the scenery. Very clever. When the element is not into tour field of vision the shadow is not dynamic. I discover it on the scene of evacuation of the Agamennon.

The control are great just need to assign shoulder change to a button and use DS4 audio for phonograph.

object dump great looking like everything else into this game.

http://www.polycount.com/forum/showpost.php?p=2260736&postcount=87

james-tran-vial.jpg

First time Is saw the vial I was thinking it was offline rendering.

http://www.polycount.com/forum/showpost.php?p=2260931&postcount=92

Great foliage too

Back