Sony VR Headset/Project Morpheus/PlayStation VR

the article on DF mentioned that the games does not looks 120hz and the motion interpolation is still fast.

but the best is "it just works, no adjusment needed" or something like that.
That's really good. This is getting really feasible now. I'm damn excited myself. lol

That headset + glasses. Wow, I'm honestly impressed at the clearance there LOL.

the article on DF mentioned that the games does not looks 120hz and the motion interpolation is still fast.

but the best is "it just works, no adjusment needed" or something like that.
If games should run at 120 fps to get the best possible experience hopefully developers will go for it. I don't think visuals is just the point of VR, but immersion, so framerate is a must and people will love the slick motion over anything else, imho.

I can't understand what "the games don't look 120hz" means. How much more subjective can you go?
It's not easy to feel 120fps (edit: Hz, I should be more accurate) for some folks. I wouldn't look too hard into it. I think it's there to lessen the vomit feeling from VR due to lag, so if they don't feel it that might be a good thing. Do we know if the titles are running at 120fps, or is the screen just running 120Hz?

It is is 120 hz for the Morpheus. 60Hz with reprojection to 120 hz by software for developer wanting 60 fps PS4 experience. And 120 fps for VR experience.

But Sony recommend 120 fps, VR will be a very different experience than normal PS4 game. If you want The order 1886 level of graphics you need to wait next generation...

Last edited:
but if the breakout box also can render virtual environment, playing The Order 1886 in "virtual super big screen" will works right? or the breakout box is specifically only for inter-frames?

OLED is great. It means you can have dark VR, something LCD can't match. A black cave with some luminescent spots will work on Morpheus, but I presume will be dark-grey on other displays. Lack of foveated rendering is a downer. Also, two Moves. There's need to be added to the headset package as standard, with a limited SKU for people who already have Moves. We should get a Move update that adds a direction nub/stick to each wand.

So what is actually going to tax the PS4 gpu here? I'm told that showing two different perspectives of the game world isn't actually that taxing, and it's the pixel rendering that would be more of a drain of resources. But the pixels remain the same, so could games that are already running at 60 be a good representation of what we'll be getting?

OLED is great. It means you can have dark VR, something LCD can't match. A black cave with some luminescent spots will work on Morpheus, but I presume will be dark-grey on other displays. Lack of foveated rendering is a downer. Also, two Moves. There's need to be added to the headset package as standard, with a limited SKU for people who already have Moves. We should get a Move update that adds a direction nub/stick to each wand.

And it is OLED without pentile, Samsung Gear VR or prototype of Occulus have pentile. Add Move and PS4 camera. I just need to buy move controller and Morpheus next year.

So what is actually going to tax the PS4 gpu here? I'm told that showing two different perspectives of the game world isn't actually that taxing, and it's the pixel rendering that would be more of a drain of resources. But the pixels remain the same, so could games that are already running at 60 be a good representation of what we'll be getting?

You need locked 60 for VR and it is the minimum, I think play with normal games on VR will be a PC experience.

You can see VR on PS4 as another platform. Some will do locked 60 fps PS4 experience other will prefer 120 fps far from PS4 games but true VR experience without compromise.

But the pixels remain the same,
They are different, otherwise you'd have two identical images and no depth (stereoscopic separation). The pixels are mostly the same and you could use a form of image reconstruction to produce the second image, but that gets complicated and the game has to be designed around as much. It can also lead to artefacts.

The second issue is the lack of a touchpad or analogue stick on the Move. It's great to have two free hands, but you're unable to move. I wouldn't want analogue sticks on them either, it would just be awkward to swing while trying to manipulate a stick. Maybe they could build a PSMove that comes proprietary with every Morpheus to make sure people have the correct Move. But then we have a bit of an issue with confusing the consumer and just sheer price.

Yeah, something like that can work well in the right circumstances. In The Fight you could move forward and backward by holding the trigger buttons and then leaning forward or backward with the Move controllers. That worked quite well, but it helped that it was auto-focussing on the opponent. If the eye tracking really works, then they can also just have a simple button press to walk where you look - it is effectively a third six degrees of freedom controller so you'd hope at some point there'd be enough. ;) Also, you could look around while walking there in the meantime.

It would also work well in combination with the walking controller, which I think could really make for a great combination.

I always think of vehicles for the handicapped. They can be controlled pretty well with a single joystick - forward backward, left right. So one Move Controller for movement should be doable, leaving the other for shooting and such, and Morpheus for camera control, and button combinations possible for variants. But we'll see what they really come up with. While I hope for more, I would definitely already be willing to shell a few hundred just for a VR Time Crisis. ;)

Yeah, something like that can work well in the right circumstances. In The Fight you could move forward and backward by holding the trigger buttons and then leaning forward or backward with the Move controllers. That worked quite well, but it helped that it was auto-focussing on the opponent. If the eye tracking really works, then they can also just have a simple button press to walk where you look - it is effectively a third six degrees of freedom controller so you'd hope at some point there'd be enough. ;) Also, you could look around while walking there in the meantime.

It would also work well in combination with the walking controller, which I think could really make for a great combination.

I always think of vehicles for the handicapped. They can be controlled pretty well with a single joystick - forward backward, left right. So one Move Controller for movement should be doable, leaving the other for shooting and such, and Morpheus for camera control, and button combinations possible for variants. But we'll see what they really come up with. While I hope for more, I would definitely already be willing to shell a few hundred just for a VR Time Crisis. ;)

http://www.polygon.com/2015/3/3/8145577/sony-project-morpheus-london-heist

VR Time Crisis ;)

Back