Sony VR Headset/Project Morpheus/PlayStation VR

That makes sense. My question however is why aren't other companies doing this ? If it was a good solution why isn't it on the valve or oculus stuff. 2400x1080p at 90fps is a big over head when they could target 60fps and just have a break out box fill in the interpolated frames
Probably because in the PC space, efficiencies of hardware and generally a concern. Development of frame interpolation began last-gen on consoles, despite PCs also rendering. Why? Because on PC, you wouldn't think about eking out more performance as people just buy better hardware. That might chance if games start using lower spec'd hardware as standard through mobile (Win 10). When your Windows game has to run on a GTX 960 and a 3 Watt GPU squeezed into an 8" tablet with a ridiculously overzealous resolution for its size, squeezing out performance will become more important and console thinking might become the norm. However, to now, only Sony with its finite console hardware is going to be looking closely at workarounds. Valve and Oculus will be selling to core gamers with monster rigs, likely also looking for an excuse to buy even better hardware. ;)

is the tech there for proper eye tracking ?
Yes. http://www.roadtovr.com/fove-eye-tracking-vr-headset-hands-on-ces-2015/

I have prescription glasses and DK2 was relatively comfortable with them.

I really like that Shu Yoshida wears glasses, you can be sure Morpheus will be designed to accomodate glasses perfectly. :LOL:
lol I hope. I'm lucky that I have pretty regular eye issues; near sighted and the same prescription in both eyes. That can be alleviated multiple ways, but I think people who require reading glasses will definitely need something to help focus on something so close.

So they are using a type of that god awful tv tech where they advertise 120 or 240hz panels and they create fake frames from the tv signal ? That looks horrible on a tv , I hope the Morpheus fairs better.

Still 60fps at 1080p is going to be a lot ot ask of the ps4. The uncharted guys said that 1080p 30fps was already a monumental task for uncharted 4. So I could still see 720p with 60fps then upscaled to 1080p at 120fps using the outboard asic. Hopefully it looks good on more demanding games. The demos they showed looked pretty good.

It looks horrible on live scenes with real people and props. But on video games where everything is fake looking and there is no attempt at illusion? I don't turn off all the extra processing on my TV to make my games look better. I turn it all off to improve input lag.

I remember firing up GTA V on the new TV I bought over the holiday. It wasn't the visuals that cued me that I needed to turn off the interpolation and all the other features, it was the horrible trek halfway across the Los Santos where I hit every light pole, trash can, mail box and ped I came across because the input lag was so bad.

LOL.

Last edited:
That's the biggest advantage of Sony TVs and projectors, they have less input lag with all processing and interpolation ON, than many other brands in their minimal gaming mode.

I have played the entire ratchet collection and sly collection at 120Hz and it's amazing. It really doubles the motion resolution with the most sensitive aspect of the image, which is the camera panning.

Software reprojection for 60hz to 120hz, no more asic. Games can also do 120fps native.
New 5.7" oled screen, and now 100 degrees instead of 90
40ms now down to 20ms
The ps4 supports 120hz natively? Wtf?
First half of 2016 for the low price of shut up and take my money.

Last edited:
The ps4 supports 120hz natively? Wtf?
Thinking about it, there's no reason it shouldn't - it's just a clock. The bandwidth of the interface determines how much data is possible so resolution, depth and output frequency need to work within the maximum bandwidth.

HDMI specifies predefined combinations but there's no reason you can't provide extended capabilities if both ends support it.

looks interesting but is the screen actually doing 120 hz ?

I'm glad its not pentile from from the sounds of it and while 2016 will be later than the rest of the head sets it may allow them to bring down the price.

Is the 18ns just the head set or with move included ?

I don't believe the PS4 is actually doing 1080p 120hz without some kind of interpolation or up-scaling. The Morpheus is a very impressive piece of kit, but sadly I don't think it has the right hardware backing it to make a strong impact with VR. We're going to have PS2 games running on this thing. Which I don't personally have a problem with, it just seems like it wouldn't be totally persuasive to a newcomer.
And I'm hearing that there is an issue with the 1080p screen, is 1080p not that good for VR?

I don't believe the PS4 is actually doing 1080p 120hz without some kind of interpolation or up-scaling. T a 2560he Morpheus is a very impressive piece of kit, but sadly I don't think it has the right hardware backing it to make a strong impact with VR. We're going to have PS2 games running on this thing. Which I don't personally have a problem with, it just seems like it wouldn't be totally persuasive to a newcomer.
And I'm hearing that there is an issue with the 1080p screen, is 1080p not that good for VR?

1080p is its not pentile should be fine. Its 960x1080 an eye while htc vive is two 1200x1080p lcd screens. So yes the vive has a higher resolution per eye but a lower refresh. So the screen door should be less for htc and motion sickness should be less with sony (if their frame interpolation is good )

Samsung with oculus has 2 panels rumored for later this year a 2560x1440 and a 3840x2160 . If we are lucky enough to get either for the rift that would give us 1280x1440 per eye and 1920x2160 per eye . Of course those are just part of samsungs 2015 road map. We have no idea if they will make it to a consumer rift or if they will ofer the low persistence and refresh oculus wants. Also the s6 has the 2560x1440 screen but I believe its to small as they have been using note screens (5.7 inch) vs the 5.1 inch screen. Although 2 of those might be nice. could give much better fov while giving a 2560x1440 resolution to each eye.

Going to be interesting since we still have NVidia to announce , oculus with cv 1 and more info on the hololens .

Last edited:
Now ladies and gentlemen, get ready for months of the "fear" and "smear" phases of any console hardware argumentation. I call it to jinx it. Last time it didn't work though. I have to double my efforts.

Maybe there's something terribly wrong with Morpheus?
My uncle's ex-wife's half-brother said there was something wrong with the display.
The demos were running on PC, the ps4 will look like a ps2.
Let's talk about occulus! Let's talk about vive! Let's talk about google cardboard vr! Anything but morpheus!

I hope it will be enough.

Now ladies and gentlemen, get ready for months of the "fear" and "smear" phases of any console hardware argumentation. I call it to jinx it. Last time it didn't work though. I have to double my efforts.

Maybe there's something terribly wrong with Morpheus?
My uncle's ex-wife's half-brother said there was something wrong with the display.
The demos were running on PC, the ps4 will look like a ps2.
Let's talk about occulus! Let's talk about vive! Let's talk about google cardboard vr! Anything but morpheus!

I hope it will be enough.

well engadget says it hurts to wear

http://www.engadget.com/2015/03/03/project-morpheus-gdc-2105/

I have a big head (most hats don't fit me) so i'm worried about that issue with all the head sets. With the dv kit 1 and 2 I added in a longer band

i wonder with the way morpheus works, does its possible if sony simply "virtual theatre" for playing 2D games inside VR? The breakoutbox can intercept the HDMI out off PS4 but it means the breakout box need to have rather good processing capability. Not just interframe processing.

@Globalisateur what do you means? doesnt morpheus use one screen but 2 picture?

But one 1080p screen instead of 2 960x1080 screens...

Does this mean no more stereoscopic 3D?

It works the same was as the rift works. Its a 1920x1080p that is cut in half using optics so that each eye can see 960x1080p. So just like the oculus its your eyes making the 3d .

The first oculus def kit was 1280x800 display split in two for 640x800 at 60fps . Dk2 was a note 3 screen with 1920x1080p split in two for 960x1080 like the Morpheus . Unlike the Morpheus its a refresh rate of up to 75hz vs 120hz of Morpheus. Morpheus is also not pen tile like the dk2.

i wonder with the way morpheus works, does its possible if sony simply "virtual theatre" for playing 2D games inside VR? The breakoutbox can intercept the HDMI out off PS4 but it means the breakout box need to have rather good processing capability. Not just interframe processing.

@Globalisateur what do you means? doesnt morpheus use one screen but 2 picture?

Well I read more stuff about it and many people who tried it specifically talked about '3d' working great so it must be a real stereoscopic 3D.

@eastmen Yes it must be that. The fact that they changed the way they label their screen (1920x1080 instead of 960x1080 per eye) just confused me for a moment.

They probably simply stated 1920x1080 screen for PR reasons, it looks better than 960x1080 per eye.

the old screen wasn't 1920x1080p it was a lower resolution. They switched over to oled 1920x1080p . They are also advertising full RGB panels as a selling point.

They def made more improvements than I thought they would.

the article on DF mentioned that the games does not looks 120hz and the motion interpolation is still fast.

but the best is "it just works, no adjusment needed" or something like that.

Back