PC gaming is dying...NOT!

Well, I'm talking about pushing boundaries pc excluzives, not some muliplatforms ( really console ports with mustard) .

Those boundry pushing exclusives were always very few and far between on the PC last generation. Many of the games you list above were also on console and the vast majority of the rest were released much further than 1 year and 2 months (now) into the console generation.

It's ironic how standards have fallen from

" LOL console ports, look at those poor grapics who need it we have Quake-> far cry-> FEAR-> crysis( and tens more) " in 2004

2004 was the PS2 era. It's true that since that generation standards have changed. But there's little appreciable difference between this and the last generation in terms of exclusives, at least thus far. I don't think there was ever an attitude of "LOL console ports, look at those poor grapics" last generation since most of the PC's top games also got a console launch - including Crysis itself and many of the best looking games of last gen were indeed consoles ports.

to

" ohhh look console port! you can even change resolution!, thats truly renaissance!" :D. to 2014

I'd say it's the opposite. Back in 2006 it was virtually unheard of for a console port to offer much more than improved resolution on the PC whereas from practically day 1 of this generation we've been getting ports with loads of extra graphics options. The situation may be slightly worse with regards to PC exclusives (but there's plenty of time left in this generation yet) but significantly better with regards to cross platform games.

I find it funny , today year after boxes launch, the most beautiful PC games are console ports

How was this not the case back in January 2007? At least this time those ports are appreciably better looking than the console versions. Call of Duty 4 for example which was widely considered one of the best looking games of it's day on any platform was pretty much identical on the consoles and PC aside from resolution and that released 2 years after the XB360 launched. Compare that to the differences seen in Advanced Warfare or Ghosts, both released within a year of this generations console launches.

many upcoming with leading tech won't even launch on PC.

I'd say most of the games with truly "leading" tech are due to launch on the PC and it's only really a handful of console exclusives that are the exception. And the number of those exclusives is certainly reduced compared to last generation.

Newell said years ago , it's not about those new chips anymore but userbases to sell to, looks like it's true. I wonder what graphics gamez landscape would look like if consoles disappeared tomorrow:D

We'd all be playing much better looking games because all those gamers would transition to the PC and thus the market of more powerful gaming machines would be considerably larger.

Last edited:
More likely whoever wrote the reqs doesn't know shit about PC hardware. That is often the case from what I've seen. A 2500K is a helluva lot faster than any Phenom in all games - I don't think this one will be an exception. I guess it's possible that a 4GB GTX770 can perform like an R9 290, but that is almost never the case. The R9 290 is quite a lot faster than the 770.

I have always wondered why so many games have requirements that are way off. Especially when the requirements are quite high, it's sure to make the games sell worse.

Those boundry pushing exclusives were always very few and far between on the PC last generation. Many of the games you list above were also on console and the vast majority of the rest were released much further than 1 year and 2 months (now) into the console generation.

2004 was the PS2 era. It's true that since that generation standards have changed. But there's little appreciable difference between this and the last generation in terms of exclusives, at least thus far. I don't think there was ever an attitude of "LOL console ports, look at those poor grapics" last generation since most of the PC's top games also got a console launch - including Crysis itself and many of the best looking games of last gen were indeed consoles ports.

I'd say it's the opposite. Back in 2006 it was virtually unheard of for a console port to offer much more than improved resolution on the PC whereas from practically day 1 of this generation we've been getting ports with loads of extra graphics options. The situation may be slightly worse with regards to PC exclusives (but there's plenty of time left in this generation yet) but significantly better with regards to cross platform games.

How was this not the case back in January 2007? At least this time those ports are appreciably better looking than the console versions. Call of Duty 4 for example which was widely considered one of the best looking games of it's day on any platform was pretty much identical on the consoles and PC aside from resolution and that released 2 years after the XB360 launched. Compare that to the differences seen in Advanced Warfare or Ghosts, both released within a year of this generations console launches.

I'd say most of the games with truly "leading" tech are due to launch on the PC and it's only really a handful of console exclusives that are the exception. And the number of those exclusives is certainly reduced compared to last generation.

We'd all be playing much better looking games because all those gamers would transition to the PC and thus the market of more powerful gaming machines would be considerably larger.

Yes they were only few on pc side in early years, then budget wall happend , on consoles they trully pushed given avialable resources, . I would say before ps2 there was even better diversity and technology of pc games was uneheard off in console land . Ok, maybe few were little late , but i could bring some pc games more from 2005/6. bf2142 anyone? I dont see anything on horizon resembling that pc linup. And Yes there was this attitude, died along cryisis ;)

At the beginning of last gen, you had port of lost planet with more effort than today(texturs, hdr, dx10 , motion blur) , not to mention GRAW with reaaal pc version ;) not to mention ports of devil ma cry 3 and resident evil 4 which caused typical gospel " OMG now we dontt need consoles , its playable ". cod4 (even cod2) on pc offered Ultra textures and shadows, overall yes looked preaty much the same, just like today.

And where are those leading tech pc games ? where do you see 4x texels, 4xpolygons etc? where is todays world in conflict and crysis? this lone one looks pretty rough today and will launch who knows when. Its impact is nowhere near crisis. Yes those poor underpowered consoles still managed to show pretty good jump and after a year ( and probably second) embarrasing pc output a little, it.s just sad fact. Whats more funny, this time on pc side there is 100mln users seeing one banner everyday and still we won't see something groundbreaking, strange isn't it? Maybe beyond userbase it must be userbase with certain level of hardware and few millions willing to pay full price ;) Reduced list? last gen there were almost no third party excluzives too , but first party is growing. overall its comparable.

Yeah suerly ALL those console gamers would transition to pc, and all is good. Not everyone is like forum dewllers . Maybe 15% would jump for high end pc rest would lie on sidelines, eventually moving away. To achive more there must be strong premise, somethink like 15 70mln AAA games announced at once and simple 400$ hardware . Meanwhile few publishers would collapse and rest is jumping like headless chicken , at best spitting atrocieties like "nosgoth" or "triad wars" targeted for intel hd grapics.

wait what.. the i5 is a mix of dual and quad core? what the heck intel...

i though quad core only for i7

Only mobile i5 is dual core. [strike]All desktop i5s are quad.[/strike] (okay how do you do a strikethrough here?) And sorry Albuquerque I somehow missed your post.

Apparently the i5-4570T is an exception. That just changed my worldview. I've never heard of any other desktop i5s with only 2 cores. Edit: But according to Albuquerque they must exist...

Last edited:
Has anyone noticed the whole Remaster trend?
I guess it arguably started with the small changes by GoG to get old games running on new OSes, but now we have a bunch of classics getting varied levels of rework with improved lighting, better textures etc.

I think its a good thing overall, there are a lot of great old games deserving of getting a warm-over for modern OS/GPUs & hopefully played by more people.

Also with top grade games requiring massive expense and with some big old IPs having recently been distributed at low costs due to Publisher breakups I think that for a bunch of smallish devs it will be a fairly low risk, relatively cheap money spinner.

But I do kinda worry that we are about to go through a phase where pretty much the only thing coming out will be these Remasters.

I'm not sure I like that, I sure love Outcast 1.1 released on Steam, but many old games were made the way they are because of technical limitations, if those don't exist anymore, why suffer from them ?
Nostalgia works well though...

Has anyone noticed the whole Remaster trend?
I guess it arguably started with the small changes by GoG to get old games running on new OSes, but now we have a bunch of classics getting varied levels of rework with improved lighting, better textures etc.

I think its a good thing overall, there are a lot of great old games deserving of getting a warm-over for modern OS/GPUs & hopefully played by more people.

Also with top grade games requiring massive expense and with some big old IPs having recently been distributed at low costs due to Publisher breakups I think that for a bunch of smallish devs it will be a fairly low risk, relatively cheap money spinner.

But I do kinda worry that we are about to go through a phase where pretty much the only thing coming out will be these Remasters.

It's publishers being to afraid to back anything new, and wanting to stick with established and well known IPs. Having said that, it's better to have a revamped and modernised version of a great game, instead of something crappy that just happens to be new.

So in the stream link announcement, Gabe stated that Steam grew 50% in the last 12 months. That is an insanely high jump for an already huge customer base. In assuming that would include the release of steam works games on the consoles?

Windows will have CROSSPLAY and CROSSBUY with XBOX http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2...ireless-xbox-one-controller-play-coming-to-pc

HURRRRRAH!!!

and im pretty sure M$ will release "fable asymetric 4 player (forgot the name)" as an example and.... nothing else :/
If crossplay actually happens that'll be fantastic. Can you imagine playing COD against gamepadders? GOD MODE ACTIVATE

I would literally buy a COD game just to pwn the noobers. (sorry for the ninja)

they also can jack up the auto aim and the homing bullet on console. Like those handcannon with super sight in Destiny before patch 1.1.1.

At least K&M players have to aim rather than just point in the general direction...

Competitive gamepad gameplay is much much harder than K&M...aiming with K&M is really easy mode imo. Pixelperfect aiming is super easy and you practise basically every day during work time when using the mouse :)

Aiming with gamepad on consoles is not(!) just pointing in some direction....except for Titanfall, where I even used the gamepad on PC and the auto-pistol and was called out being a cheater...

Thus, crossplay console and PC for console gamers is just like playing a game with a bunch of (dirty) cheaters :mrgreen:

Competitive gaming is definitely waaaay more competitive with a mouse and keyboard. Watch videos of fatal1ty playing Quake vs the best COD player on XBOX. There is no comparison.

I do agree that cross play between KB/M and gamepad users isn't exactly a fair fight. I remember a few years ago when playing Halo 3 with @AlNets and @Acert93 and some other B3Ders, Acert hacked his gamepad to use a KB/M. He was instantly better than everyone. Except for me :D. He posted about it on this forum IIRC.

Competitive gamepad gameplay is much much harder than K&M...aiming with K&M is really easy mode imo.

Auto aim will obviously level the playing field somewhat. I'd no doubt last a lot longer in a match against pro's where we are all using a gamepad than I would if we were all using K&M.

Competitive gamepad gameplay is much much harder than K&M...aiming with K&M is really easy mode imo. Pixelperfect aiming is super easy and you practise basically every day during work time when using the mouse :)

Aiming with gamepad on consoles is not(!) just pointing in some direction....except for Titanfall, where I even used the gamepad on PC and the auto-pistol and was called out being a cheater...

Thus, crossplay console and PC for console gamers is just like playing a game with a bunch of (dirty) cheaters :mrgreen:

Not really.

A console controller based FPS is going to limit how bad a person can be. The worst control pad player will be worlds better than the worst KB&M player. And on the other side it also limits how good you a control pad player can be. The best control pad player is going to be worst than the best KB&M player.

With KB&M the game scales far more with the actual skill and reactions of the player. Versus control pad where bad players are boosted by auto-aim assist while the top players are hindered by it. IE - once you get past a certain skill level with auto-aim assist, everyone is relatively the same with small differences in reaction times (limited by the control pad) and peripheral vision awareness. With KB&M that same section of gamers would see a much wider separation between those that are really good and those that are really REALLY good.

Regards,
SB

Back