Destiny [PS3,X360,PS4,XO]

I've had a good strat for the tank part for a long time, you just keep your distance to him, use the large rock outcropping on the right kind of as a fulcrum between you and him, and ice breaker him to death. Your safety lies not in cover with this strat, but in keeping him and his shots in full view at all times so you can dodge his shots, generally to the left. It's fairly foolproof, may be a bit slower than some methods but also faster than some.

About Valus, you can get out of the map, onto the roof area and completely safely blast him with a sniper with armor piercing. This is basically so foolproof it crosses the line more to cheating than other methods though, as you really cant die as his shots cannot hit you as the game things you are behind a plate.

The chandelier spot I tried when it first became popular, with a hunter the jump is too tricky for me (I suck at jumping to be fair). i assume it's easier with a warlock. And trying it with nightfall or even weekly is too risky, because if you fall it can quickly mean doom and you dont get many attempts. So I just gave up on that one. i'm sure I coulda practiced it on patrol but, meh.

For the tank just go on top of the zone's entrance. Tank ignores you and doesn't shoot you.

Chandelier spot is easy if you ignore the previous room, and try jumping as a bladedancer with agility maxed with stealth on

Last edited:
The chandelier spot is easy to get to with Hunter high jump and max agility (so bladedancer), it's a bitch to get to with Warlock's jump as you get little height. If you don't kill the two dudes in the room Valas won't spawn and they don't do much damage anyway.

As for the tank, if you go to the roof of the little room where the first lieutenant is you can keep hitting the tank and just jump when you see the cannon ball approaching.

EDIT: I dislike when people comment that your style is wrong and argue because it's different to theirs. When running the sword I like to snipe the swordbearer a bit and then use my super when I am jumping off the ledge so that I can lunge to the sword quick, trusting my teammates to kill the swordbearer by the time I get there. I got told off that my technique is wrong since I am wasting my super and I should use it when I am down once the swordbearer is dead....I don't do this because it leaves me open to attacks from boomers and thralls. Yes it means timing's a bit tight on my invisibility but it also means it's quick and safe when done right.

Granted today wasn't my best as I never take more than 2 tries to kill on HM and Crota was being glitchy as he enraged earlier than usual fucking up my only good run. I was having just one of those days where nothing works and this was while I decided to try a new thing ie. Jump from centre.

Last edited:
The chandelier spot is easy to get to with Hunter high jump and max agility (so bladedancer), it's a bitch to get to with Warlock's jump as you get little height. If you don't kill the two dudes in the room Valas won't spawn and they don't do much damage anyway.

As for the tank, if you go to the roof of the little room where the first lieutenant is you can keep hitting the tank and just jump when you see the cannon ball approaching.

EDIT: I dislike when people comment that your style is wrong and argue because it's different to theirs. When running the sword I like to snipe the swordbearer a bit and then use my super when I am jumping off the ledge so that I can lunge to the sword quick, trusting my teammates to kill the swordbearer by the time I get there. I got told off that my technique is wrong since I am wasting my super and I should use it when I am down once the swordbearer is dead....I don't do this because it leaves me open to attacks from boomers and thralls. Yes it means timing's a bit tight on my invisibility but it also means it's quick and safe when done right.

Granted today wasn't my best as I never take more than 2 tries to kill on HM and Crota was being glitchy as he enraged earlier than usual fucking up my only good run. I was having just one of those days where nothing works and this was while I decided to try a new thing ie. Jump from centre.

I dont get it, in my couple times trying sword I was taught to go get the sword (while visible), then jump up on right platform, then crouch for invisible, then call for rockets.

Are people supposed to go invisible with their super right as they grab the sword? And that lasts long enough all the way to smashing Crota?

BTW earlier I had said there is no way to practice Crota alone, I think there is, at least if you have a Titan (it involves bubble). Somebody on Reddit posted a "easy" solo crota with Titan method...

Course I dont have a Titan, but I've considered replacing my third hunter with one from time to time.

I dont get it, in my couple times trying sword I was taught to go get the sword (while visible), then jump up on right platform, then crouch for invisible, then call for rockets.

Are people supposed to go invisible with their super right as they grab the sword? And that lasts long enough all the way to smashing Crota?

BTW earlier I had said there is no way to practice Crota alone, I think there is, at least if you have a Titan (it involves bubble). Somebody on Reddit posted a "easy" solo crota with Titan method...

Course I dont have a Titan, but I've considered replacing my third hunter with one from time to time.
That technique takes a lot of time, would work for the first sword but it won't if you want three downs in first sword and you might miss the second down with other swords if you take time to kill the swordbearer.

If you use the super as soon as you jump from the ledge you can lunge forward with R1 (takes a tiny amount of super bar) and then turn invisible right before picking up the sword by using the super. This way you can just run up and jump to the platform without waiting on the rocks, you don't even have to jump on the rock but just jump up directly to platform and call for rockets before you even make the jump, Crota will start going down exactly at the time you arrive. In fact with this technique you can just jump up from the middle platform.

Another thing I don't get is why people wait and count to three for the second down when there's a hunter. It's understandable with other classes who have to run to the sides but with a hunter you can simply just stand there and call for rockets as soon as you blink and pick up the sword since by the time it takes for the rockets to get to Crota and including the 1 second delay in party chat it's enough time for him to stand up and completely refill his shield bar and even take a step or two.

Wow, Planet Destiny did some weapon testing and AR's seem to be nerfed a lot more than 2.5%. For example it varies by gun and enemy, but in one case damage was reduced by 15% (this was in PD's testing with Suros). Another example I quickly calculated was 6.6%. Both examples well above the supposed 2.5%.

AR's cannot afford this, they already suck!

Also there's already a thread on reddit, that Shotguns beast Praetorians now. Swordbreaker, nearly one shots them.

I did keep a 331 solar shotgun mostly in prep for this buff, but I guess void would have been better.

About damn time they fixed the auto fire on VoC/pulse rifles. Oversoul Edict is probably gonna be my go to primary now, and i'll use the other weapons situationally. I still like scout rifles, but I'm gonna give my trigger finger a long deserved break.

Also nice that they fixed the heavy ammo glitch, as well as the glitch where heavy synth wouldn't work if your consumables were full. I stocked up on synth so that affected me.

Kicking myself for not picking up the iron banner shotgun... my buddies said it's a beast in PVE now. Bought the scout rifle, gauntlets and boots (twice accidentally) so I was hurtin' for glimmer.

Beat crota hard as the swordbearer on my warlock a second time, this time in the first try. It's fun as hell... gonna try to run the sword as often as I can.

Last edited:
Wow mobile vault...I didn't even know they were planning this...seems great

1. You can move stuff from the vault to a character while the character is in game and it will show up like a drop.

[*]You can move stuff from your character to the vault.

[*]No option to directly move stuff from one character to another - have to go through the vault

[*]You can SPLIT RESOURCES from the vault to character and from the character to the vaul

[*]I'm not on the same network as the PS4 - doing it over LTE

[*]You can do this with any character you have...even the one you are playing

I guess you can do this on the android app too, which I've never messed with but am about too...

If it works the best solution may be just to transfer stuff using my HP touchpad while I'm sitting on the couch!

The Coiled hiss pulse rifle has received a pretty decent bump in damage. I myself am a Scout rifle guy, but I have one legendary of each primary weapon type.
Out of the badger ccl, TFWPKY, up for anything and the coiled hiss my favorites are the badger and coiled hiss. Also I haven't noticed any change in the hand cannons accuracy or range. You can still pretty much snipe enemies with the TFWPKY.

Yeah I use coiled and badger a lot too. Coiled's downfall is it essentially has a ten shot clip (30, but 3 round bursts). Not every gun can get field scout (I get the impression it would make some guns too powerful, hence why Badger cant get field scout). Also I'm not sure how field scout works on pulse. I think unlike on scout and HC it doesn't always go to a set number, IIRC. But anyway a coiled hiss with FS would be nice.

Edit: Just looked and according to Destinydb Coiled can get field scout.

The Gheleon's Demise in the last IB was slightly better than my Badger. It had firefly+outlaw+two more rounds (16 mag)+same impact. However, it was so marginally better I deemed it not worth grinding for.

I have a Badger that dropped with Firefly so that's pretty good. Replaced my previous vendor version which had mulligan which is one of the worst perks.

I think I have Up for Anything too. I think Abyss Defiant is a lot better IIRC. It's fun to experiment with different primaries on patrols. However, any gun looks good against trash enemies. Up for Anything IIRC isn't worth it for serious work,

Now that shotguns are buffed I want swordbreaker again. I got it a few times and shredded it every time. Thing is to get it again I'd probably have to run normal Crota and just hope for it. Who knows if I'll ever do that. I also sharded my Preadyth's Revenge a long time ago and kinda want it again, after I saw this vid where a guy was claiming it's still a great sniper, I realized it probably was. He said it's the best for PVP (which though I dont generally PVP, I like to keep known PVP beast guns around in case I ever do). He was also saying that with the 6 mag and great stability, he often feels like it's better than Black Hammer even in PVE, or at least a great patrol sniper.

Oh well, PR will DEFINITELY be obsolete after House of Wolves takes guns to 365 so I wont worry too much.

Last edited:
The Iron Banner Shotgun is the best shotgun in the game for both PvP and PvE. Two to the morgue is a close second in PvE , and maybe even in PvP (but it's fire rate is slower). I'd put the Swordbreaker in third but I haven't tried Invective yet.

Damage numbers shouldn't matter much really, Fatebringer is a God tier weapon even with its 300 damage cap and all the nerfs while Nechrochasm is trash even though it has the highest damage number out of any gun in game.

I know i will be in the minority, but i wish they would try way harder to fix all the cheese spots. Nexus, Phogoth, Valus etc are simply to easy.

I know i will be in the minority, but i wish they would try way harder to fix all the cheese spots. Nexus, Phogoth, Valus etc are simply to easy.

But nobody is forcing you to use them :D I assume its there so more people can actually finish the missions, if (like me) they are not very good players.

Nexus cheese spot isn't really a cheese spot considering you are more open to Nexus's fire up top than anywhere else (splash damage and it keeps on firing) and then there's the void minotaur who is a major in nightfall/weekly and spaws way too fast in those. The only advantage is that you don't have to fight the vex enemies.

Phogoth cheese spot causes wizards to spawn at the door which makes the fight harder and longer, especially with that shreiker constantly spawning every 20 seconds.

The Values cheese spot is a proper cheese spot but Value likes to fire 10,000 rockets that do splash damage when you are up there.

Due to the very nature of how much health and shield enemies have in nightfall plus the burns, juggler, angry and light switch...there is no way you can play a nightfall strike without camping and just playing it like a ROC strike with higher level enemies and lower player health.

Damage numbers shouldn't matter much really, Fatebringer is a God tier weapon even with its 300 damage cap and all the nerfs while Nechrochasm is trash even though it has the highest damage number out of any gun in game.

The difference between 331 and 300 for any given weapon is ~14.5% damage. You are comparing totally different classes, and yeah Fatebringer is better than Nechrochasm!

15% is to me likened to a light level or something. My guy dealing 15% more hypothetical damage across the board over thousands of enemies becomes a big deal. So I think transitioning to 331 weapons across TDB is like gaining an invisible light level.

If it's another 14.5% or so next time with House of Wolves 365 weapons, now the 300 weapons will be 29% behind. And so on.

I guess the key with lets take Fatebringer, is it will increasingly not one shot crit, two shot, etc the enemies that it one shots, two shots, now, with each new expansion and higher level enemies. So it will become increasingly untenable. But yes, as we know for now it's still arguably fine and one of the best weapons. But of course it would be better if it was 331...

Nexus cheese spot isn't really a cheese spot considering you are more open to Nexus's fire up top than anywhere else (splash damage and it keeps on firing) and then there's the void minotaur who is a major in nightfall/weekly and spaws way too fast in those. The only advantage is that you don't have to fight the vex enemies.

Phogoth cheese spot causes wizards to spawn at the door which makes the fight harder and longer, especially with that shreiker constantly spawning every 20 seconds.

The Values cheese spot is a proper cheese spot but Value likes to fire 10,000 rockets that do splash damage when you are up there.

Due to the very nature of how much health and shield enemies have in nightfall plus the burns, juggler, angry and light switch...there is no way you can play a nightfall strike without camping and just playing it like a ROC strike with higher level enemies and lower player health.

You can cheese phogoth in that room without the shriekers and wizards spawning you know?

btw is there any other MMO that the community so openly talks about cheese and collectively hunting for new cheese? O_O

Yeah I feel Bungie obviously knows about and leaves the remaining cheese spots because they all require some effort and aren't too easy in one way or another...if that makes any sense. You still have to sit there and pound the enemy for a long time at the least. That and there's often almost no other way to beat those bosses practically, at least solo.

Whereas something like the Archon Priest under platform tipped the line too much towards a blatant exploit to Bungie's mind, I guess. That's kinda the way i look at it I guess, even if it's a messy arguable line.

The nightfall isn't too bad this week indeed in a team of 3. You can zip through the pre-Valus parts pretty fast. And people have gotten so good something like the tank goes down quickly where it used to be a time consuming challenge.

However my first reward is a void LDR. Which I already have so...

This guy off LFG in the nightfall though made me really mad though, he invites me, he has no mic, originally there's three of us, one of the dudes splits. But we soldier on and seem like a pretty good two man team, reviving each other, and we get to Valus and eventually get him down to a sliver, camping in that cheese spot, and by some coincidence, I die right then by fire through the crack there. And the guy doesn't revive me, waves at my blue orb and stuff, I'm like WTH is this chump really gonna pull this? Then he sends me a message "sorry waiting for a friend will only take a minute". So he wants to invite his, probably low level, friend in right at the end. So I'm like well, I'll wait a bit. And I wait, and wait, and wait...

Yeah 30 minutes later I have no choice but to send him a nasty message and leave. Wasted literally an hour of my time in total. Made me so angry. in his defense he was apologetic and probably didn't mean anything but still, what a low move.

At least I was able to find another team and blitz it in about 20 minutes on that character after that.

Back