PS4 And Xbox One Have An 'Exclusive' Problem

That would be "multiplayer", you only need the "co-op" distinction when it is not versus.

If that was his point, I still don't agree. Sony has multiplayer components in most of its games. Uncharted has it in 2 & 3, God of War added it in Ascension, TLoU, Driveclub, Killzone, etc. I guess we need Knack on Knack violence now?

Didn't Knack even have a local coop play?

What?

No Mention of Bloodborne for PS4?

No mention of Quantum Break or ScaleBound for Xbox One?

Seems like the writer of this article is missing out on a lot of games for Sony and Microsoft's Platforms.

In the here and now, yes some future franchises and IPs are still far away from release, but I think there are sizable Exclusive games coming to both platforms this year.

Really? Did you even bother to read the article? Evidently not since they mentioned Bloodborne, calling it potentially a great game which has very niche appeal. Which is quite true. Hence not an important exclusive in terms of boosting the mass sales appeal of a console. But it is one of those "two or three" that the PS4 will have by the end of the year according to the article.

Here it is since you were too lazy to read the article and just wanted to rant.

The one that probably won’t have it? Bloodborne, a quasi-evolution of Demon’s/Dark Souls from the mastermind of those games, Hidetaka Miyazaki. All indications point to a quality release, but that’s hardly a sure thing in this day and age. And the punishing difficulty that comes with the Souls games may lead to relatively niche interest in the game when all is said and done. That said, a great game is a great game, however niche, and Sony desperately needs one.

They even mention Quantum Break.

A few have potential, sure. We really have no idea what to expect from the high concept Quantum Break. Crackdown could be another fun sandbox romp like Second Son or Sunset, but hopefully make more of an impact. And Fable Legends? I’m not sure how much faith there is in that series at this point, and it’s undergoing a massive shift into unbalanced 4v1 multiplayer.

And while I'm replying to you, you aren't the only one that quite obviously didn't read the article. As there was mention of Sunset Overdrive or Dead Rising 3(some people said they didn't talk about it). Someone else also called them out for not mentioning Ryse when they mentioned The Order when they specifically did.

Hell, let's look at this guy.

OP you're doing it wrong...

Forbes contributor articles are written as satirical fanboy rants, based on slanted perception and a fantasy...

... well... at least I think so anyway :p

And yes, I see your smiley ( :)), but your comment seems to encompass how many feel. So I'm using it to address a broader range of people, hope you don't mind.

Which is both correct and yet totally misses the point.

The guy rips into both Sony AND Microsoft. If anything he rips into Microsoft even more than Sony.

The part that you got correct is that the perception upon which this article is based isn't the same as the perceptions of hard core console fans, like many of the people in this particular sub-forum (consoles).

It has a business context (surprise, it's Forbes), aimed towards businessmen (and women!) and will generally align more with your mass market than with your niche hardcore console gamers.

The article correctly points out that exclusives aren't really what's driving sales of the current gen consoles like they have in the past. Disappointment being not only with the perceived quality of some of the games, but also how well they do in sales. Pointing out that the exclusives are getting absolutely manhandled by multiplats. Sometimes by multiplats that used to be exclusives.

From a business standpoint. There's little to differentiate the two consoles based on exclusives. Look at purely in terms of exclusives there'd be far less reason to buy either one. It's only when you start looking at multiplatform games that it starts to become a worthwhile investment to buy a console.

Throw in the whole money POV (this is Forbes, after all and not a gaming mag), and it's quite true that neither console has had a blockbuster exclusive and it's not yet guaranteed that either one will. As the conclusion of the article points out.

And yes, I know many of you will STILL, miss the point after all this. Well other than pointing out how many of the people posting obviously didn't bother to read the article. But trying to wrap your head around it. The article isn't written with an eye towards gamers. It's written from a business/investment perspective for other people with a business/investment perspective.

My personal thoughts on it? I'm amazed he actually knows how good the Souls (Dark/Demon Souls) series of games was.

Regards,
SB

Sony still looks better from the titles announced so far. UC4's supposed issues are way above the public's perception - the game looks awesome and the IP is very very strong.

On the Xbox side Quantum Break shouldn't be sidelined IMHO, the material released so far has shown great potential. Not to mention how thin a slice of the final game it all seems to be; basically one part of a level and a few screenshots from other places.
Halo 5 is still a great unknown, although that recent comment about it being pretty innovative sounds very interesting when combined with the rumors about being more open world. MS is certainly spending hard on the game already with the MC Collection and the TV show and such, although that is not yet a sign of confidence...

But this year's E3 is going to be the most interesting IMHO, at least based on what I can see ;) This discussion is only going to get interesting after the show.
I think Microsoft have some very interesting titles if they bring out all the artillery.

Who even cares if there's an exclusives shortage if the games you want to play are available? If Uncharted, Quantum Break, Forza, etc. were multiplat, would console gamers be worse off??
They would be worse off, of course. We need exclusives because envy drives sales.

I mean...what I hate are those 3rd party games that are purchased to transform them into console exclusives :neutral: -say Tomb Raider and Street Fighter V, plus another rumour says that Sony are going to purchase a 3rd party exclusive-, they make you want to become a PC gamer.

MS and Sony may not have as many exclusive games as before, that also applies to the PC which only retains the strategy genre as an exclusivity because those kind of games wouldn't be good on a console gamepad.
On the other hand, I don't know why people bring Nintendo here, I thought we were talking about AAA top-quality videogames and not the glorified toys that company makes. There's only one exclusive Videogame which is Bayonetta 2, and for what I know it's not even close to the first one in quality because Nintendo had to censor it (and that's why Platinum works with MicroSoft now) and the framerate is closer to PS3 bayonetta than to Xbox 360 bayonetta due to lack of power.

I don't know why people bring Nintendo here, I thought we were talking about AAA top-quality videogames.
A game is a game. Why is the LoZ less worth playing and owning a console for than Wild, say? Completely arbitrary values on your part. Heck, there's even a poll showing PS4 users value resolution most, whereas Wii U owners care about gameplay. Different people, different values, different products. By all means stick to owning a 'next-gen' console, but don't apply your prejudices to the exclusion of other legitimate products from discussion.

A game is a game. Why is the LoZ less worth playing and owning a console for than Wild, say? Completely arbitrary values on your part. Heck, there's even a poll showing PS4 users value resolution most, whereas Wii U owners care about gameplay. Different people, different values, different products. By all means stick to owning a 'next-gen' console, but don't apply your prejudices to the exclusion of other legitimate products from discussion.
No, a game is not "a game", I mean, there was a time where VideoGames were only a glorified toy for some nerds but that changed thanks to Sony and now they are seen like the pieces of art they deserve to be.

That "gameplay" you speak of for example, isn't that just an excuse to not admit that Nintendo games lack any kind of narrative innovation unlike sony games? I mean, every single game has "gameplay" so that's not something exclusive to Nintendo, and seeing masterpieces like TLOU (has nintendo ever made a game with "gameplay" that comes even close to the one seen in that game or the Uncharted series) it's obvious that Nintendo simply can't compete when it comes to hardcore video games.

Of course, you can defend the Wii Fit and the Wii Music all you want and even have fun with them, but this is not the kind of games the industry needs in order to progress.

You don't need "narrative innovation" to be a game. Game's are for playing. Maybe you only like narrative story games, but it's ridiculous to think or expect that's what everyone else wants. And look at the frickin' sales figures! Games with little narrative content, including Nintendo's, are able to sell extremely well. Ergo, the public value 'non-hardcore' games, even if you don't.

Nintendo make more than Wii Music and Wii Fit. You've deliberately selected two unrepresentative titles. Try Mario Kart and Mario Bros game. Mario Kart Wii = 35 million. TLoU = 7 million. TLoU and other games are awesome. That doesn't stop Mario Kart and other Nintendo titles also being awesome in different ways that other people, if not you, value.

Of course, more simple videogames can be also successful, and anyone can have fun doing whatever he likes to do. Nintendo, like the companies that release games for the mobile phones, wants to make "fast cash" and this is why they do the glorified toys they do.
Those games you cited, yes, they are really successful, but they will be forget when the next "big hit" arrives. On the other hand, hardcore videogames that push this industry forward, is what defines what a good exclusivity is.

I mean, isn't it true that you can find dozens and dozens of Nintendo like games in the indie scene? And most of those indies, if given enough resources, wouldn't they just evolve and make more complex products, with as much playability as any nintendo game but also with a compelling story?
Because that's what an art is, an art is a form of expressing one's feelings, and you need to have a good narrative and good graphics in order to do that.

Games are for playing is a very limited vision of what a video-game has to be. Video games are there to tell a story, a story it can't be told in the cinema because it gives you control, and what Nintendo is trying in order to save them some good money is to turn this art (because videogames are pure art) into the glorified toys they once were because of course, it will always be cheaper to release unfinished products with 10 year old tech instead of contributing to push the industry in the right direction.

But in the same sense you wouldn't consider having a McDonalds a factor when comparing which city has the best restaurants you can't simply put Nintendo's games in the same league than the ones made by the rest of the industry (on consoles, on mobile phones you have tons and tons of Nintendo-like videogames).

Nintendo, like the companies that release games for the mobile phones, wants to make "fast cash" and this is why they do the glorified toys they do.
To craft the games Nintendo makes takes a lot of talent and time. Game balancing isn't easy, and many simple games fail to capture that exacting balance that Nintendo is valued for.

Those games you cited, yes, they are really successful, but they will be forget when the next "big hit" arrives.
They are perennial favourites. People have been buying Mario games for 30 years - they haven't been 'forgotten' when GTA or TLoU came out.
On the other hand, hardcore videogames that push this industry forward, is what defines what a good exclusivity is.
No, the definition of a good exclusive is a title that only your platform has which people want to play and so will buy your platform to play it.

I mean, isn't it true that you can find dozens and dozens of Nintendo like games in the indie scene?
No.
And most of those indies, if given enough resources, wouldn't they just evolve and make more complex products, with as much playability as any nintendo game but also with a compelling story?
No, because not everyone wants compelling story. Very few games have compelling story. What's the compelling story behind COD? Or FIFA? Or Buzz TV? Or Singstar (a great exclusive on PS2 that sold plenty of consoles)? Or Fat Princess? Or Gran Turismo? Plenty of games have story, but it's typically far from compelling.

Because that's what an art is, an art is a form of expressing one's feelings, and you need to have a good narrative and good graphics in order to do that.
Games != art. There can be art in games, but games are things people play. Exclusive games don't have to be art. And any real art critic would recognise the art in some of Nintendo's games too, so such snobbery is pretty baseless.

If you want story, read a book. If you want interactive media storytelling, buy a Quantic Dream game. If you want the whole gaming industry to push story, you have a completely lopsided view of gaming and would utterly ruin most gamers' hobby.

To craft the games Nintendo makes takes a lot of talent and time. Game balancing isn't easy, and many simple games fail to capture that exacting balance that Nintendo is valued for.
What? Sorry? What's that "game balancing" you speak of? I assume it's something related to the "playability" or the "gameplay" maybe? Well, can you tell me any single Nintendo game with playability compared to the one seen in The Last of Us for example? Ah, and please don't tell me "Mario", because I've played a bit some of those games and there are no weapons, no violence, no complex characters...

They are perennial favourites. People have been buying Mario games for 30 years - they haven't been 'forgotten' when GTA or TLoU came out.
I don't know of anyone who's tried a modern videogame say that Marios are "their favourites" or even good games anymore. As a kid of course you will be more entertained saving the princess, but once you have a certain age that's not enough and things like gore, strong language and such are needed. Can I ask you a question? How old are you? Have you tried any videogame outside of those made for Nintendo? Thanks.

No, the definition of a good exclusive is a title that only your platform has which people want to play and so will buy your platform to play it.
From a purely economic point of view you're right, but life is more than that. Was Wii Fit a good exclusive, yes by your standards, not by mine.

No, because not everyone wants compelling story. Very few games have compelling story. What's the compelling story behind COD? Or FIFA? Or Buzz TV? Or Singstar (a great exclusive on PS2 that sold plenty of consoles)? Or Fat Princess? Or Gran Turismo? Plenty of games have story, but it's typically far from compelling.
Not every game can have the best story, of course, but CoD is completely story driven with tons and tons of famous Hollywood actors putting their voices on there, cool scenes of people being murdered and killed (this is not about saving a stupid princess, but about saving the WORLD from TERRORISTS) and good online multiplayer where you can have fun killing people all over the world.
FIFA is footall, and it still has a ton of money invested on it with fully voiced matches, a lot of footbal players being specifically modelled to resemble the real ones, official licences... it's a good videogame no matter how you look at it.

Can you say this for any Nintendo game ever released? I don't think so...

Games != art. There can be art in games, but games are things people play. Exclusive games don't have to be art. And any real art critic would recognise the art in some of Nintendo's games too, so such snobbery is pretty baseless.

If you want story, read a book. If you want interactive media storytelling, buy a Quantic Dream game. If you want the whole gaming industry to push story, you have a completely lopsided view of gaming and would utterly ruin most gamers' hobby.
So you want games to just be glorified toys like Nintendo, but as a hardcore player I can't agree with you. Videogames are much more than what you want them to be, and once you get older you'll discover that this "playability" is just a lie as big as the "nintendo magic". But seeing how Nintendo is doing I don't see they will release another console, they will go 3rd party for sure this time and they will have to adapt to industry standards.

No, a game is not "a game", I mean, there was a time where VideoGames were only a glorified toy for some nerds but that changed thanks to Sony and now they are seen like the pieces of art they deserve to be.

That "gameplay" you speak of for example, isn't that just an excuse to not admit that Nintendo games lack any kind of narrative innovation unlike sony games? I mean, every single game has "gameplay" so that's not something exclusive to Nintendo, and seeing masterpieces like TLOU (has nintendo ever made a game with "gameplay" that comes even close to the one seen in that game or the Uncharted series) it's obvious that Nintendo simply can't compete when it comes to hardcore video games.

Of course, you can defend the Wii Fit and the Wii Music all you want and even have fun with them, but this is not the kind of games the industry needs in order to progress.

Just my opinions: Super Mario 3D World (Wii U) is better than any game I played on my PS4 and Xbox One. Man that´s fun.

Super Mario Galaxy is the best game I played last gen, together with GTA V and TLOU.

Is that enough for you? And to let you know: older people like nintendo games too. Your standards are just that: yours.

Just my opinions: Super Mario 3D World (Wii U) is better than any game I played on my PS4 and Xbox One. Man that´s fun.

Super Mario Galaxy is the best game I played last gen, together with GTA V and TLOU.

Is that enough for you?
Well, congrats to you, but videogames are much more than glorified toys and there's nothing you can find in Galaxy you won't find much better in GTAV or TLOU for example.

Well, congrats to you, but videogames are much more than glorified toys and there's nothing you can find in Galaxy you won't find much better in GTAV or TLOU for example.

Your opinion about the games. And no one is saying that games are "glorified toys".

*tear shirt off*

*puts on Nintendo cape*

Nintendo have done some of the best story-driven games (Zelda?), they just never aimed for graphics fidelity. Their excellence have always been characters and gameplay, that's the Nintendo Magic. A game like Super Smash Bros is almost impossible to make by anyone else. The fact that it has zero story doesn't diminish it's accomplishment. Also, the fact they they didn't come up with anything new for years is a completely different discussion.

The story in CoD is just a frame that exists to support the gameplay. The interest of the game is the combat itself, the combat strategy, and the immersive experience. This is why we have so much disagreement here, not everybody likes the same type of games. I love story-driven games a lot, but trying to say one form is superior to the other is a bit condescending.

Original_Nintendo_Seal_of_Quality_%28European%29_%28Custom%29.JPG

This seal is your assurance that Nintendo has
approved and guaranteed the quality of this post.

Last edited:
Back