The Order: 1886

dark10x is John Linneman (the one who wrote the DF article).
Yes, they do have penumbra! I even have a note here about including that but completely forgot to write a piece on it. You can see this during any sections with the flashlight where shadow definition changes based on proximity. From a distance, shadows appear diffuse and soft but gradually become sharper and more defined as you approach.
That's two analysis' that says that it does.

dark10x is John Linneman (the one who wrote the DF article).

That's two analysis' that says that it does.
Well he said Dark AND DF. He and NX are interpreting what they saw as variable penumbra but my demonstration suggests a more likely possibility. However, as I said before, if anybody has visual evidence of actual variable penumbra please bring it forth. It's not like it would be the first game to have this feature anyways.

I just reached chapter 8, so far it's pretty good! The immersion is amazing! The art work and attention to details of the era makes the game.
Combat is fine, the stealth segment sucked but short and simple.
Not a lot of QTE I have no idea why anyone focus on this.

Possible spoiler ahead, I don't know, it's my current perception of the story...
I love how they integrate the socio-economic and political context which I'm surprised they don't say enough explicitly, but if you are already familiar it's all there. You have to read up the newspapers in the game and I really soaked up in the history of that era, specifically I refreshed on the East India Company from 1600 until it was dimantled
... which in the game it isn't. Either that's some "alternate history" right there, or I don't know crap about it. There's a strong humanist and leftist vibe already, in a very cynical sort of way. It's like they thought what if the EIC lobbyists had been successful in parliament? I loved the prologue which makes sure you already know where this is going, to avoid misjudging the ethics.

I really like the game so far.

The gunplay ( am in chapter 9) is very good: I put it up to TLoU,UC and Gears...there is really no difference to me: it feels very good and satisfying, many weapons which are all quite different. I play on hard with no aim assist...it is quite challenging at time (when those shotgunners rush you).

Stealth is quite simplistic imo...but I am not a big fan of stealth in general.

Exploring is quite linear, but it helps to have some calm scenes and graphics show off.

The QTEs are fine...and to my astounding not that much so far.

What is a bit annoying is the insta death scenes...and there is a 10sec load when you die before the game continues.

The other thing that is not good: to much handholding...even now in chapter 9. I really scratch my head about this decision, as this is the only part of the game that kicks me out of the cinematic experience...I wonder why no one at RAD thought about that?!?

The story is super interesting so far...I am really happy that I went completely media blind into it...I can't wait to play more!

Last but not least: up to now, Ryse was the best looking game to me...but it is The Order 1886 now. Even in chapter 9, certain scenes still blow my mind...this graphical beauty alone is worth trying out this game and play around with the tec.

So far so good. I am looking forward to what is coming next. Maybe it helps that my expectations were so low after the reviews...but I enjoy this game a lot. I think the reviewers treated the game quite unfair, the same happened imo to Ryse!

Talked to four friends who have played it: All said ditch the reviews, this needs to be played and they had a blast. The only instructioon was to play on hard, as on normal its a walk in the park. No one mentioned anything else, and I didn't bring it up to get the actual opinoon. Looks the like the game has enough muscle to make you forget its shortcomings.

Looks like its time to find a copy :cool: .

So far so good. I am looking forward to what is coming next. Maybe it helps that my expectations were so low after the reviews...but I enjoy this game a lot. I think the reviewers treated the game quite unfair, the same happened imo to Ryse!

I´m playing it too! Started with hard!
And I utterly agree with you!

Ok, it could have been better, but it´s far from bad. It has nice gameplay and gfx and audio are... amazing! Cinematics are a lot, and some may find them more gamebreaking than others. Funny enough I like the end result. It could have been better, but it´s still very good!

Some may like it more, some may like it less. But you can only know by playing it. So my advice is: ditch the reviews! Go and try it yourself!

Finished! I need some time to gather my thoughts. I also need to sleep it's 5:00am.

The flaws are mostly about the gameplay being too simple. Some camera issues in tight corridors, I wished for a wider FOV. I also wish I could disable the tutorial hints. Length was average, I wished for more cinematics with more back story.

Great visuals, incredible art work, great music, and I loved the aspect ratio obviously. The story was everything I hoped for, and surprisingly I loved the ending. I can understand not everybody will, in fact I'm sure many will really hate it, or not understand it beyond the surface. From my point of view it was perfect. I care about theme resolution much more than plot resolution and the first chapters had openned a can of worms... it ended up perfectly.

To Shuhei Yoshida: Please greenlight the sequel.
To RaD: Congratulations! And please make the sequel!

I have to post a big praise to the RAD developers regarding load times. The entire game has zero loads during campaign [there was one 3s black screen during transition from one screen to another, but even that I think was done for the sake of "cinematic" storytelling, a pause was needed to be there], but even more crazy I finished the game in several sessions, and clicking the "Continue" button always amazed me. One time savegame loaded in ~4 seconds [almost frightened me how fast it loaded], and the longest one I ever saw was 10s! :runaway:

Just finished!

So far the best fun I have playing a game this generation.
Pros:
Graphics - one can argue its relative quality, dissect it's every aspect, but me personally, I haven't seen anything like it before
Setting - Queen Victorias London, beatifully recreated by RaD with some welcome additions of
Arthurian myth, Jack the Ripper, Nikolai Tesla, Zeppelins with Penny Dreadful all over it
Lore and great storytelling
Main character - best male protagonist since Joel of tLoU
Epic moustache of the main character
Sound design - perfect in every aspect
loved Chopin pieces during certain parts of the game
Good shooting mechanics and engaging firefights
Diversity and quality of weapons, putting to shame Ratchet and Clank series

Cons:
Limited freedom and too much hand-holding throughout the game
Simple game mechanics - I would like some character development, maybe weapon improvement
Some good and properly executed ideas, which hasn't been used enough during playthrough
lockpicking, amp overload

As a side note:
- the game is not short by any means, but I would like it much longer just because the story is great
- the amount of QTE is similiar to God of War 3 which is allright in my book
- for some reason there are lots of naked male characters throughout the game, which may be a good thing for some

My final mark is 9/10 with the folllowing assumptions:
- I love good story in a game
- I would give it 8/10 if not for graphics which adds greatly to the experience
- If you are all about diverse gameplay and GTA V is your god, please avoid

I really hope for the sequel, but I am affraid there won't be any with scores this game is getting. A shame.

Back