Destiny [PS3,X360,PS4,XO]

Strength is a stat that reduces the cooldown of your Melee Abilities.
When you have no strength and thus 0% cooldown reduction bonus to your melee abilities, your melee ability recharges in 1 minute and 9 seconds.
When you have enough strength to have 100% cooldown reduction bonus to your melee abilities, your melee ability recharges in 31 seconds (45% of original recharge).
To reach 100% cooldown reduction bonus, players will need 272 points in Strength.
  • If you have more than 272 points in Strength, the extra points are wasted.

Discipline is a stat that lowers the cooldown of grenades.
When you have no Discipline and thus 0% cooldown reduction bonus to your grenades, your grenade ability recharges in 1 minute.
When you have enough discipline to have 100% cooldown reduction bonus to your grenades, your grenade ability recharges in 27 seconds (45% of original recharge).
To reach 100% cooldown reduction bonus, players will need 272 points in Discipline.
  • If you have more than 272 points in Discipline, the extra points are wasted.

Intellect is a stat that reduces the cooldown of your supers.
When you have no intellect and thus 0% cooldown reduction bonus to your super, your super recharges in 5 minutes and 30 seconds.
When you have enough intellect to have 100% cooldown reduction bonus to your super, your super recharges in 3 minutes and 55 seconds (71% of original recharge). Additionally, your kills earn you twice amount of super meter.
To reach 100% cooldown reduction bonus, players will need 272 points in Intellect.\
  • If you have more than 272 points in Intellect, the extra points are wasted.

So ~100 DIS/STR will give you around 20% reduction in CD for your grenades and melee.
and ~100 INT will reduce around 10% of Super CD and ~40% increase in kill super meters.

Thanks for the info!

I guess all I'm saying is in the big picture it's arguable it matters that much. Many times as a hunter I dont use my super for ages. I tend to think of it as a failsafe mechanism of last resort for example (when that powerful enemy is right on top of you), and "save" it. Bladedancer is even worse as their super is of arguable utility on many cases as it pretty dangerous to use and often gets you killed by being too close to enemies. I've actually been consciously trying to use my super more. For example on Omnigul I try to use it on her/enemies every time it comes up.

I am not saying the stats dont matter, for my top two characters I spec for intellect and discipline. I'm just not so sure it's worth caring about high stat rolls as much as people seem to. Not that I want a low one, but it's probably more because of some kind of almost OCD and I would wonder if it actually makes much difference.

The example of this like I say is my 3rd character. On him so far I just throw whatever gear gets him the highest light. So for example while my top two get Symbiotes and raid helm/Dont Touch Me combos, he gets Arachnid ATS-8 (as far as I know a useless exotic, but it's just my current leftover 36 light helmet). The point is when I am playing with my 3rd char, do I really notice a difference? Doubtful, or it's slim. Another good example is since I just got him to 20 a few weeks ago, and only use him to run nightfall since, he does not even have the gunslinger skill tree finished. So is he a crap character? Not really, I play with him fine.

All that said I DO try to really go for intellect on the top two chars. And I wouldn't knowingly use a "low" spec equipment if I had a choice (but I dont pay much attention to the numbers as I do Int/Disc/STR). But again, I think it only makes a marginal difference.

That's one thing about this game, it's hard to come across good data sometimes, about cooldown times etc. I know redditt has great posts there, but even those sometimes you wonder if they're the full story.

I usually go for INT/DIS spec, however, I also made a INT/STR spec purely for Crota's End. Very useful when fighting Crota and passing through the abyss using bladedancer.

Both hunter supers are kind of useless in PvE but completely OP in PvP, easily the best out of any in crucible. The only good combination in PvE that I can think of is golden gun with penetration and explosion, but penetration perk means you can't use chain of woes which is a very useful perk...unless you have a gun with outlaw perk.

I find Golden Gun at least moderately useful in PVE. Whatever the bladedancer super is called, less.

I didn't raid at all this week :(. Still need a good amount of shards and the boots to get my 3rd to 32,

Partly the nightfalls were kind of a time soak this week.

And damn did the rewards suck, I think it was ascendant shards (now completely and totally useless for endgame, at least ascendant energy is still quite useful), a 2nd Thunderlord (so, fairly useless because I'll probably never bother to level it I'll just use my 331 Thunderlord), and the third reward was garbage too, maybe shards again I dont exactly remember. Ugh. I just remember 2/3 rewards were awful and the 3rd was Thunderlord. Which would have been awesome, a month ago...

I did learn a new Omnigul technique, heard of it but first time I used it, you go to the back room, one guy stands to the side out of enemy fire and just revives, the other two slam Omnigul/adds without care of dying. You will die a lot, but overall it seems somewhat to substantially quicker to kill her than fighting her normally. It seemed way quicker on the nightfall, not sure how much quicker it was for the weekly.

Stats are somewhat important to me... I leveled up different pieces of raid gear for my Warlocks to finally get them where I wanted. I like to throw grenades, so I like to have discipline a bit higher; then intellect, then strength. Both of them are ~18x intellect / 20x discipline / 13x strength. Both of them also have raid helmets that replenish health with orbs.
For my hunter, I prefer intellect and strength (my hunter is a newer character, so I have to wait for better gear). Don't have a Titan anymore, but I think I'd prefer intellect and discipline.

Last edited:
Blade dancer is actually useful if you use it to kill enemies before they reached you. It also awesome for reviving teammates.

In tdb mission, bladedancer also have almost unlimited super because bungie throw out a whole lot of enemy every waves.

Q1CpTS3.jpg

Nightfall is Valus who is already a bullet sponge AND no burn for the 2nd week in a row :/

Funny thing monday night I randomly wondered about Destiny and what the nightfall would be and thought "we haven't seen Valus in a while" and sure enough...:???:

Well hopefully I get third man or one of my other desireds this week...

He wouldn't be so bad if you didn't have to hide in the spot where you cant shoot him for long periods, to have any chance against him. So you end up doing a lot of boring waiting and trying to shoot around annoying infinitely spawning ads.

Yeah, nightfall was just a big waste of time for me too. I got my 4th Multi-Tool, a legendary pulse rifle and shards.
At least crota gave me hardlight, which is one of the few exotics that I needed for my collection. I think I just need gjallarhorn and I would have had every exotic in the game (didn't keep them all due to vault space). edit: check that, I haven't bothered to do the thorn bounty either.

Got zero gear for my hunter, so I'm still stuck at 31. Reason I made made a hunter in the first place was to run the sword, but I managed to beat him for the first time on hard as the swordbearer using my warlock (rarely get a chance to because my groups always have a sword guy). Last time I attempted it, we had a few people that couldn't do their assigned jobs. Had a pretty good squad this time and it went pretty smoothly (beat it on the third try).

Last edited:
Hey I still don't havrhavmida. mid.

Btw do you still do vog? I sometime does it with newbies just for fun. Much more fun than crota.

Shards are joke as a nightfall reward now. i agree with a thread on reddit, they really need to be eliminated from the nightfall rewards. Some of the other stuff (coins, even energy) are marginal but shards are outright useless,

This has been one of the fastest Nightfalls for me, took me about 15-20 minutes on all my characters. Just jump up and hide in one of the platforms (chandelier like things) and shoot. He and others can still hit you through blast damage or even directly, if you are close to the edge, but it's largely safe and you get a direct line of sight for most of the room from that position.

The tank part is easy with a blackhammer and Valas himself goes down very quick compared to Omnigul because of no shield, the one bad part is that headshots don't crit for the most part for this guy as you have a very tiny area where they crit and it's like the upper part of his already tiny head that is surrounded by armour.

The worst part are actually those void flayers.

@orangpelupa, ya I still do VoG, mostly for the chance of getting gjallarhorn, but also because it's still fun. Already got every weapon and raid piece of VoG.
Shards are joke as a nightfall reward now. i agree with a thread on reddit, they really need to be eliminated from the nightfall rewards. Some of the other stuff (coins, even energy) are marginal but shards are outright useless,
Agreed. I've gotten coins and shards on at least one of the characters for the past several weeks.

This has been one of the fastest Nightfalls for me, took me about 15-20 minutes on all my characters. Just jump up and hide in one of the platforms (chandelier like things) and shoot. He and others can still hit you through blast damage or even directly, if you are close to the edge, but it's largely safe and you get a direct line of sight for most of the room from that position.

The tank part is easy with a blackhammer and Valas himself goes down very quick compared to Omnigul because of no shield, the one bad part is that headshots don't crit for the most part for this guy as you have a very tiny area where they crit and it's like the upper part of his already tiny head that is surrounded by armour.

The worst part are actually those void flayers.

I've had a good strat for the tank part for a long time, you just keep your distance to him, use the large rock outcropping on the right kind of as a fulcrum between you and him, and ice breaker him to death. Your safety lies not in cover with this strat, but in keeping him and his shots in full view at all times so you can dodge his shots, generally to the left. It's fairly foolproof, may be a bit slower than some methods but also faster than some.

About Valus, you can get out of the map, onto the roof area and completely safely blast him with a sniper with armor piercing. This is basically so foolproof it crosses the line more to cheating than other methods though, as you really cant die as his shots cannot hit you as the game things you are behind a plate.

The chandelier spot I tried when it first became popular, with a hunter the jump is too tricky for me (I suck at jumping to be fair). i assume it's easier with a warlock. And trying it with nightfall or even weekly is too risky, because if you fall it can quickly mean doom and you dont get many attempts. So I just gave up on that one. i'm sure I coulda practiced it on patrol but, meh.

Back