The Post-Processed Graphics Comparison Thread for The Order 1886 *beard split*

Status
Not open for further replies.
I really jealous that currently most beautiful game is not available for PC.

I still think AC:Unity on PC is the most impressive game graphically to me. Art direction, materials and lighting absolutely match (and in some cases, exceed) The Order. Aside from the non-detailed NPCs that walk around in the AC world, the game looks very similar in polish to the Order and yet still has a vastly bigger world to explore in.

I still think AC:Unity on PC is the most impressive game graphically to me. Art direction, materials and lighting absolutely match (and in some cases, exceed) The Order. Aside from the non-detailed NPCs that walk around in the AC world, the game looks very similar in polish to the Order and yet still has a vastly bigger world to explore in.

Specifically on PC? I guess the art direction, materials and lighting must be completely different on consoles then?

I personally find AC:Unity on any platform less visually appealing than The Order: 1886.

:oops: sorry, you lost me here. AC:U is the very definition of "unpolished" on every platform.

Sorry but except for downsampling, ACU does not touch The Order in the overall look especially in gameplay graphics. The asset quality, post processing effects, particles, skin shaders and cloth material are way better in The Order. Having played 3 hours of the game just then I think it's even more obvious to me now an open world game simply can't compete in the frame by frame pixel quality of a linear game such as The Order.
These blow away anything I've seen in ACU pc or any other game for the matter.
TheOrder_1886_20150219152807.jpg~original

16399438239_1f727a88d7_o.jpg
16589390952_ff8e06095f_o.jpg

Specifically on PC? I guess the art direction, materials and lighting must be completely different on consoles then?

I personally find AC:Unity on any platform less visually appealing than The Order: 1886.

I say the PC because it has more control over the clarity of the scene. For example, you can force things to get rid of inaccuracies from the console hardware like anisotropic filtering or adding in HBAO+. The PC version is the best representation of AC:Unity.

:oops: sorry, you lost me here. AC:U is the very definition of "unpolished" on every platform.

Unfair statement. The polish I'm talking about is in the visual presentation. I know a lot of console owners were angry at the framerate issues, etc.. but that doesn't mean the game doesn't have a visual splendor about it. For example, no one can complain about AC:Unity's materials and lighting. They are clearly on par with The Order's materials and exceed the lighting in The Order.

I remember seeing some PC images on this thread (or was it Uncharted 4's? I forget) and they still look inferior to this game (and Uncharted).

The asset quality, post processing effects, particles, skin shaders and cloth material are way better in The Order.

Speaking of that.. they are very wonky to me. It looks like they painted radius maps around the ears and nose making them look like wax. I much prefer Dying Light's skin implementation actually.

Particles in the Order are average to me. Lords of the Fallen and Batman:AK have better particle behavior (i.e they don't die as soon as they hit the ground) IMO.

You have your opinion, I have mine. ;) Just remember a key factor in my thought process is the fact that AC:U is open-world -- The Order is not.

Last edited:
Sorry but except for downsampling, ACU does not touch The Order in the overall look especially in gameplay graphics. The asset quality, post processing effects, particles, skin shaders and cloth material are way better in The Order. Having played 3 hours of the game just then I think it's even more obvious to me now an open world game simply can't compete in the frame by frame pixel quality of a linear game such as The Order.
TheOrder_1886_20150219152807.jpg%7Eoriginal

16399438239_1f727a88d7_o.jpg
16589390952_ff8e06095f_o.jpg

Let's see if that's true:

iX10oxEBekFSd.jpg

igjwooyfwHvIS.jpg

15791287475_323506a2ae_k_d.jpg

The skin looks better in ACU, the environments are very detailed, the lighting is excellent and if we're talking about pixel quality TO1886 is automatically disqualified due to its blurry and noisy IQ.

TO1886 looks great for a console game but it doesn't hold a candle next to PC games.

Bonus: Hair is on a completely different league:

T5pZgvh.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Can we have some Crysis 3 screenshots now too? Or maybe some multi-platform PC game?

Definitely no console exclusives as we've already been told how awful they are multiple times up to this point. It's almost like the same graphical effects are worthy on PC but insufficient on consoles.

The skin looks better in ACU, the environments are very detailed, the lighting is excellent and if we're talking about pixel quality TO1886 is automatically disqualified due to its blurry and noisy IQ.
The hair's great, and the detail, but I disagree about the overall look. AC:U isn't going for realism. It's more graphic-art like Uncharted. The skin shaders aren't at all convincing as human skin. I consider the two games as different looks and not comparable, though specific areas, like cloth, animation, geometry detail, texture detail, will be.

When it comes to a 'best looking game', the answer will be entirely subjective. There's no point anyone trying to argue using facts and check-box features.

The hair's great, and the detail, but I disagree about the overall look. AC:U isn't going for realism.

In what context are you stating "going for realism"? Are you talking about desaturated color scheme? Because AC:Unity is going for that. I'm not sure what else could be 'realism' when talking about the Order as everything has been pretty much implemented already in other games.

The skin shaders aren't at all convincing as human skin.
But they are closer than the Order's skin solution. No one has pink nose and ears no matter what the environment. Simply put, the Order's skin looks quite ugly compared to what's out there.

When it comes to a 'best looking game', the answer will be entirely subjective. There's no point anyone trying to argue using facts and check-box features.

Agree.

No game does everything well. I love AC:Unity's/The Order's materials above any other game. I love the lighting of ACU but it's not getting any points for sharp clear pixels.. Love the foliage in Ryse, love the water in AC:Black Flag, dynamic animations in Dying Light are unmatched etc.. etc..

Skyrim mod count?

skyrim-mods3.jpg

The difference good tone mapping can do.

The hair's great, and the detail, but I disagree about the overall look. AC:U isn't going for realism. It's more graphic-art like Uncharted. The skin shaders aren't at all convincing as human skin. I consider the two games as different looks and not comparable, though specific areas, like cloth, animation, geometry detail, texture detail, will be.

ACU is going for realism (PBR engine as well) but it doesn't use the cheap tricks of desaturation, chromatic aberration, noise and an ever present blur filter.

Skin looks much more realistic than The Order's, which looks still quite rough to me. ACU's is smoother:

iYiWzJfmY5NAj.jpg

ACU is going for realism (PBR engine as well) but it doesn't use the cheap tricks of desaturation, chromatic aberration, noise and an ever present blur filter.

First off: no need for derogatory descriptors.
Second: O1866 is supposed to be going for an old film/lens look (black & white aside), so the post-effects being listed are fitting.

(Personally, I'd trade some of those post-fx if I could get back some more AF ;))

Third: I'm not following the beard of discussion.

First off: no need for derogatory descriptors.
Second: O1866 is supposed to be going for an old film/lens look (black & white aside), so the post-effects being listed are fitting.

(Personally, I'd trade some of those post-fx if I could get back some more AF ;))

Third: I'm not following the beard of discussion.

Well, they are tricks and they're also cheap. I'm not a fan of euphemisms. The one thing lacking in ACU that I hope gets added in future installments is object based motion blur.

Skin looks much more realistic than The Order's, which looks still quite rough to me. ACU's is smoother:

Agreed.

I hate that most games don't use resources for rendering actual hair primitives. It's actually quite annoying. Hardware has to bust through the geometry barrier at some point.

Saying it's the best looking games on consoles is not fair IMO, because it suggests that there is better looking game on PC, which is not true. Graphic quality is better than anything I've seen so far on any system. Gameplay is somewhat slow paced, which can be annoying but gunplay is very solid, on par with the best titles out there. I'm like 2h into the game and many things can change, but I can already say that any rating below 7 is stupid. To me it's easily 8 out of 10. If you are a graphic whore it is a definite must buy.

Saying it's the best looking games on consoles is not fair IMO, because it suggests that there is better looking game on PC, which is not true. Graphic quality is better than anything I've seen so far on any system. Gameplay is somewhat slow paced, which can be annoying but gunplay is very solid, on par with the best titles out there. I'm like 2h into the game and many things can change, but I can already say that any rating below 7 is stupid. To me it's easily 8 out of 10. If you are a graphic whore it is a definite must buy.

The PC snob side of me is going to disagree with you - somewhat. The overall graphic presentation within The Order (CGI look and feel) are far more convincing than anything that I have played/witnessed on a PC. That being said; The Order still can't match the IQ of certain PC games (insane amounts of AA, AF, 4K resolution, etc..) . That's not a knock against RAD, just the limitations of the PS4. But yes, TO is one sexy bit**!

Last edited:

iX10oxEBekFSd.jpg

igjwooyfwHvIS.jpg

Those 2 pics are 4K images downsampled to 1080p and compressed in high qualiity jpeg. Not sure it's fair to compare details level, pixel quality, small geometry like hairs in such conditions.

I know that you want to make a point about AC Unity looking better than The Order, a point I tend to agree with, but only because I vastly prefer sharp and contrasted games.

But what PC can even run this 4K max detailed game at a locked 30fps? You are basically comparing PR bullshots with a console game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back