Paddington Game Lengths

Status
Not open for further replies.
I had a blast playing through God of War 3 a million times, slashing my way through those 6 hour or so it took me to finish it each time.

If the game has good replayability them the length is not a problem.

Now the question is whether the game is fun enough to play over and over again like GOW3 was at the time.

It's not an assumption.

http://attackofthefanboy.com/news/order-1886-dev-frustrated-clickbait-rumors-game/

He answer to this someone said that you can finish is the game in 3 hours and other in 5 hours last week. The youtube walkthrough show that playing in low level of difficulty you can finish the game in 05h30 without taking your time and explore the game. Finishing the game in hard is 8-10 hours exploring a little and platinum is probably 12h-14 hours in hard depending of your skill.

Last edited:
What do you mean no spoilers? Now I know I go into a building during a storm or, more likely, a Jean Michel Jarre concert!! No doubt a werewolf is on the Korg M1.

Game totally ruined.
Oops.

http://attackofthefanboy.com/news/order-1886-dev-frustrated-clickbait-rumors-game/

He answer to this someone said that you can finish is the game in 3 hours and other in 5 hours last week. The youtube walkthrough show that playing in low level of difficulty you can finish the game in 05h30 without taking your time and explore the game. Finishing the game in haRd is 8-10 hours exploring a little and platinum is probably 12h-14 hours in hard depending of your skill.
The point is that it's not impossible to finish the game in 5 hours. The player did die a couple of times and failed a few more during the insta-fail stealth sequences. Also he tried to explore a little bit at the beginning but I guess he didn't care about that later on. Someone who actually knows what to do and has experience with the game could complete it faster.

Oops.

The point is that it's not impossible to finish the game in 5 hours. The player did die a couple of times and failed a few more during the insta-fail stealth sequences. Also he tried to explore a little bit at the beginning but I guess he didn't care about that later on. Someone who actually knows what to do and has experience with the game could complete it faster.

It is call a speedrun then ;)

The point is that it's not impossible to finish the game in 5 hours.
No, the reference to 5 hours was my error. The statement published today by Eurogamer was made last week and predates that video so it was a reference to whatever game length was being rumoured before the video. I don't know what this was because I've been avoiding spoilers and rumours.

If the game is short I hope they realize that they should give whatever dlc they have planned away for free. They will get slaughtered if they release a short game and release 1st day dlc.

From a forbes blogger/contributor....

http://www.forbes.com/sites/erikkain/2015/02/16/the-order-1886-will-take-you-more-than-five-hours/
PlayMeThrough rushed through The Order: 1886. He didn’t skip cutscenes because they’re not skippable (largely because they weave in and out of gameplay moments) and he didn’t bother exploring or taking his time with the game.

That’s not really how this title is meant to be played. I’ve gunned my way through just about the entire thing already and it’s taken me well over five hours. My impressions of the game are locked behind embargo, but I will say this: The Order: 1886 is best played with a little patience.

Soak in the environments. Explore when you can. Read the bits of lore and correspondence you find. And set the difficulty on high (or at least medium) so that you get a proper challenge. This will take you well over five hours, though how long exactly I can’t quite say—and, of course, it will also depend on player skill.

Other gamers who have played the game are reporting anywhere from eight to fifteen hours. This sounds much closer to my own experience.

Of course, play the game however you like, but you’ll only really get the full scope of The Order: 1886 by enjoying it for what it is. It’s not really a game you want to rush through, much like other PlayStation exclusives like The Last of Us, Uncharted, and so forth.
Seems to be the vibe from most early reviews, i.e. don't rush through, you'll miss the game.

I'll definitely be playing Hard Mode on my first play through.

From a forbes blogger/contributor....

http://www.forbes.com/sites/erikkain/2015/02/16/the-order-1886-will-take-you-more-than-five-hours/

Seems to be the vibe from most early reviews, i.e. don't rush through, you'll miss the game.

I'll definitely be playing Hard Mode on my first play through.
can't you say this for all games.

Yes a 5 hour game with time taken can be stretched to 10 hours or 15 hours. But a 15 hour game with time taken could stretch to 30 hours also. Its all realitive. If you want the game just buy it. Its better than a destiny where you get 1 to 2 hours of content and have to play it for 10 hours to get to another 1-2 hours of gaming

Yeah if the order missions I'd not repetitive and have its own unique elements, it will be interesting to play.

Heck, Destiny is repetitive as broken record and it's interesting to play.

can't you say this for all games.
Hmmm... nope. Definitely not. The point the author is making is that this is about getting the story material instead of skipping it, and getting an interesting storytelling pacing. So you can say this of TLoU and Uncharted, but you cannot say this of Knack, for example. If you played TLoU you should understand exactly what he's talking about. Although, TLoU have a lot of time-sinks that you can totally skip on the easiest difficulty level.
Yes a 5 hour game with time taken can be stretched to 10 hours or 15 hours.
Well, that's exactly what TLoU is, about 6h when you play on easy and advance quickly without exploring, and don't listen to what Ellie has to say, and don't look around for salvage. There are many segments in TLoU I was literally walking, or stopped completely and listened to Ellie, or looked at some tall animals for 15 minutes, even on my 4th play through. I was also searching a long time for medical recorders, those who skipped them have a very different perception of the ending.

So with what this guy is saying, I'm now expecting a similar pacing for 1886, and I will plan my game pace accordingly. Hopefully he's right.
If you want the game just buy it.

*ponders*

*sniffing*

Fear?

Hmmm... nope. Definitely not. The point the author is making is that this is about getting the story material instead of skipping it, and getting an interesting storytelling pacing. So you can say this of TLoU and Uncharted, but you cannot say this of Knack, for example. If you played TLoU you should understand exactly what he's talking about. Although, TLoU have a lot of time-sinks that you can totally skip on the easiest difficulty level.

The game has non skipable cut scenes , what would the point of cut scenes be if they didn't tell you the story ? If you play the game from start to finish you should be able to enjoy the story material.

Well, that's exactly what TLoU is, about 6h when you play on easy and advance quickly without exploring, and don't listen to what Ellie has to say, and don't look around for salvage. There are many segments in TLoU I was literally walking, or stopped completely and listened to Ellie, or looked at some tall animals for 15 minutes, even on my 4th play through. I was also searching a long time for medical recorders, those who skipped them have a very different perception of the ending.

I'm not sure I'm following what your trying to say. Are you saying that you can't listen to a charcter while playing a game through ? I would think having to hunt for random medical recorders to get the full story is a cop out and is a fake way of increasing the time one has to play. It was bad to do that in bioshock also.

So with what this guy is saying, I'm now expecting a similar pacing for 1886, and I will plan my game pace accordingly. Hopefully he's right.

*ponders*

*sniffing*

Fear?
that if you spend hours looking for every collectable it will be more than a 5 hour game ?

I'm also not sure what you mean by fear. If the game interests you buy the game and enjoy it. I bought Ryse and enjoyed it a lot , it was a very pretty game with fun mechanics that could be beaten in a short time on easier difficulties . It seems like this is very similar to that.

Yes a 5 hour game with time taken can be stretched to 10 hours or 15 hours. But a 15 hour game with time taken could stretch to 30 hours also.
There is lots of evidence that most people don't finish games. There have been many articles on the subject and there was a 25 minute talk on this by Riot Games (DOTA) and Microsoft Game Studios at last year's GDC.

Personally, I'm far more likely to finish a shorter game than a longer one. This is partly due to lack of time these days but also some games are just dragged out too long and I become bored. I have to make a real effort to stick with games longer than about 12 hours. But some games - GTA, Uncharted, The Last of Us, Fallout, Elder Scrolls - are well worth it.

The game has non skipable cut scenes , what would the point of cut scenes be if they didn't tell you the story ? If you play the game from start to finish you should be able to enjoy the story material.
I intensely dislike non-skippable cutscenes. While I watch them at least first (on the first play through), I may want to skip them on subsequent play through if I want to play and not watch. I hope they become skippable after game completion.

The point is that it's not impossible to finish the game in 5 hours.
Yes a 5 hour game with time taken can be stretched to 10 hours or 15 hours. But a 15 hour game with time taken could stretch to 30 hours also.
Is it a 5 hour game stretched to 10-15 hours, or a 15 hour game rushed to 5 hours?

Alan Wake - 7 hours long stretched to 30 hours, or 30 hours rushed to 7?
Remember Me - 8 hours stretched to 16, or 16 rushed to 8?
Far Cry 3 completed in 4 hours. So it's a 4 hour game, stretched out by some laggards to 13 hours. Or, it's a 10 hour game some rush and some take their time with.

As ever, people are transfixed on a number that can't tell anything like the whole story. A single data point, one video on YT, provides very little meaningful data. It's provides one end of the spectrum, which isn't at all informative of the average playthrough (mean, mode or median).

As ever, people are transfixed on a number that can't tell anything like the whole story. A single data point, one video on YT, provides very little meaningful data. It's provides one end of the spectrum, which isn't at all informative of the average playthrough (mean, mode or median).

I think it is another classic example of the ever lasting Console war of doom. The order has everything going for it in looks and will without any doubt be used as an example of the superiority of the PS4. So naturally there has to be some kind of weak side, imho the story/gameplay should be enough to worry about, but the interweb loves "facts", 3 hours is a great fact to pull the game down with. And from that gaf link:

OsirisBlack - 14 hours Hard
Theman2k - 12 hours Hard
Verendus - 10 hours Hard
Periniumlick - 10 hours Hard
Rapier - 9 hours Normal
ReNeGaDe124 - 9 hours Normal
Nbkt - 9 hours Normal

Average is 10 hours 43 minutes.

Is it a 5 hour game stretched to 10-15 hours, or a 15 hour game rushed to 5 hours?

As some more evidence of this, Ocarina of Time speedruns. A general completion can be what, 20 hours? Everything in the game some people say 40-50 hours and just googling I've seen 70 hours quoted.

http://www.zeldainformer.com/news/new-100-speed-run-for-ocarina-of-time

17 minutes 48.7s to complete (segmented!), 4:26:54 for 100%. There's one from Cosmo that's an 18:10 if you want to see it. Yes it's in another league entirely, a game out getting on for 2 decades now with bugs exploited to high heaven, but just because it's possible to complete in that amount of time does not mean it "is" that long. I'm sure San Andreas takes less than the 25 hours to complete if you speedrun it - http://www.speedrun.com/gtasa#Any% - a little over 5 hours for the world record, but I wouldn't say it's a <6 hour game. If it's a first time play and you want to mess around I'd say 20-25 hours is fair.

If most people are quoting 9-10 hours I'd say it's about that long. A few people going through a lot quicker than the rest would probably be outliers. Having said that we shall know soon enough.

Can we go back talking about The Game, and stop this nonsense about speedruns? What exactly is the point? It has no relevance whatsoever on the real length of the game, which is obvious by now is the typical adventure/action game kind of length. Speedruns have nothing to do with playing a game.

Can we go back talking about The Game, and stop this nonsense about speedruns? What exactly is the point? It has no relevance whatsoever on the real length of the game, which is obvious by now is the typical adventure/action game kind of length. Speedruns have nothing to do with playing a game.

I think the suggestion is that the first times from The Order was "speedruns", so when does it stop being a speedrun and when is it a real playtime. Imho it differs, usually games i really like tend to stretch because i dont want them to stop. For example Bioshock Infinite, i took so much time going over everything because i simply loved the games atmosphere.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back