Image Quality and Framebuffer Speculations for WIP/alpha/beta/E3 games *Read the first post*

Just curious, but what advantages does native vertical resolutions bring to image quality compared to a resolution like 1600x900?

I can think of two possible things:
1-Imprecision relating to sample alignment only occurs on one axis, not two.
2-Most texture filtering blur that people notice (especially in some genres like racing games) is due to the ground being squished on the vertical axis; with like-for-like texture filtering settings, greater vertical res should allow the TMUs to select from sharper MIP levels for these surfaces.

I played the beta (or was it alpha?) of BF:H last summer during E3, and I thought the graphics were horrible. Nowhere near BF4 level. I doubt it's the engine. The graphics just weren't designed very good.

Just curious, but what advantages does native vertical resolutions bring to image quality compared to a resolution like 1600x900?
Try it in an image app. Get a 1920x1080 image, downscale it, then upscale, using target resolution. When trying this myself I've found horizontal only upscaling to look better, presumably because the thing geometry that matters lies parallel to the horizon due to viewpoint.

Yes the beta of BF Hardline still runs at 720p on XB1. 2 pics of the XB1 beta:

bfhcaayn1u6ulh.png

bfhcaayn114ru3t.png

But the real problem here is not the resolution but:

- The fact that at the same resolution it looks almost worse than BF4.
- The Image quality is terrible, the post AA they use is awful (whether at 900p or 720p, no winner here).

There are solutions now to improve the image quality on sub-1080p games as seen in many games already released:

- Dynamic resolution
- native vertical resolutions (like 1080pr)
- Use of a better AA like the cheap CMAA, even an hybrid AA like the cheap temporal Flip Quad component used in Far Cry 4. Or even a reasonable post AA! Can't they tweak the settings a bit in order to retain a decent level of clarity?
Quantum break, even at 720p, is looking great thanks notably to the great image quality (good AA + good upscaling solution), the same could be said to Ryse.

But we are in the second year of those consoles and they still want us to buy this (PS4 900p pic):

icwvtvnuER7vn.jpg

Like BF4 on PS4 that certainly still doesn't look better than BF4 on PS3.

You mention QB looking good at 720p.
Where you able to find material good enough to pixel count it? If true that Qb is 720p it has the best IQ of any 720p title I have seen.

Try it in an image app. Get a 1920x1080 image, downscale it, then upscale, using target resolution. When trying this myself I've found horizontal only upscaling to look better, presumably because the thing geometry that matters lies parallel to the horizon due to viewpoint.
I agree with this, but more horizontal resolution would be important for stereoscopic 3D though if a game supported that.

You mention QB looking good at 720p.
Where you able to find material good enough to pixel count it? If true that Qb is 720p it has the best IQ of any 720p title I have seen.

Things could still change, off course (maybe they have already since october 2014), but native 720p was my best estimation of the native resolution of the 'beta' game, on the 16mn gamescon video (a decent video). I was not 100% sure back then that it applied to the whole framebuffer though, just reasonably confident notably because of the level of blurriness as a whole from the video.

https://forum.beyond3d.com/posts/1256218/

But the image quality is really outstanding for an upscaled game (and the graphics looked good too), it was really hard to find suitable edges for pixel counting even in the entire 16mn video.

I think the graphics are pretty awful. I'm guessing the engine hasn't seen much of an upgrade since the release of BF4, and it won't be until Mass Effect or Star Wars Battlefront that we'll see a real bump in graphics from Frostbite. That said, I agree the overall image quality may even be worse than BF4. Not sure why that's the case, as the levels almost look more empty and interesting than the ones in BF4.

I played the BF hard line Beta earlier on the XB one. I wasn't impressed in the least image quality wise. It looked worse than COD Ghost on the Xbox one. Tons of pixel crawl and aliasing. I hope the textures are not final as well. It honestly looked like a 360 game in my opinion.

So the odds of us seeing 900p on Xbox One are slim then? I'm really surprised, I expect more from Visceral. I always thought the Dead Space series looked great.
Wouldn't they be embarrassed from a tech standpoint? BF4 and COD look better.
I'm having fun with the game but at times it feels like a 360 game due to the poor IQ.

Maybe FB is just not well suited for the new console generation? It really shocked me today, when I tried the beta. Could there be any reason why FB struggles on consoles...IQ is how I remembering IQ from last gen.

I am guessing EA, after delaying the game and seeing Ferguson etc. unfold, decided to just fix the game up as cheaply as possible and release it without much fanfare to cut their losses. Thus, there's no changes to the actual engine, it's just an addon disc for BF4, but sold at full price to unsuspecting customers.

The real "next" FB engine game will be Battlefront, developed at Dice.

Are you guys able to tell if a game is native 1080p by a trailer? The new FFXV trailer has just been released... sadly only a youtube link at the moment:

Compression artefacts are horrible, and the whole thing has a constant blur (compression? AA?), but there are enough native pixels/edges for it to be native 1080p.

Didn't someone already confirm it's native 1080p in previous screenshots?

I can understand doubts that this game is rendering at 1080p tho, cause to me the image quality of the game is so jarring.

Back