Steering wheel suggestions

John Reynolds

Ecce homo
Veteran
Any racing sim nuts around who can give me some advice? I've never bought one, not that into driving sims, but Underground has me pretty addicted and I'm getting to the point where it's damn hard to win races using the keyboard. A few points:

• It doesn't need to have force feedback
    I really don't want to spend much more than $50
    No need for pedals

TIA

hmmm... how much desk space do wheels take up? never used one, in all my years of PC gaming.

Hi John, I've been using a Logitech Formula Force GP wheel and pedals for about 9 months now and like it alot. FF makes a world of difference to me, and cut my lap times significantly. I've read good revies for the Logitech MOMO Force wheel also, but have not tried it. The only thing I don't like is the gear whine that emanates from the wheel when you make fast lock to lock turns. Logitech's profiler software is easy to use and handy to set up profiles for each game and controller.

Not sure why you don't want pedals? without which you do not have Digital proportional gas and brakes. All or nothing accel and braking is no better than a keyboard.

Tom's did a couple of Comparisons last year you might want to check out. Sort of a subjective subject since the wheel needs to "Fit" your idea of what your looking for. They do give a good idea of construction and features.

I got my setup off of Ubid.com for $44.00 w/shipping.

John Reynolds,

I bought the Logitech MOMO Force for NFS Underground. I don't really care for driving games, but wow was Underground fun! I love the force feedback, I would suggest you get FF if you can as in greatly increases the immersion into the game. I got the MOMO wheel for $69 on a CompUSA sale, but you can get the Microsoft FF Wheel for $50ish I think.

Dr. Ffreeze

Yes w/o a doubt if you are going to buy a wheel you have to get FF, I once was using someones wheel and accidentally had it switched off, when I turned it on I was suddenly twice as good...

Quick bump up of this thread, I'm looking for one mainly because I love NFSS but the controls are driving me insane...any recommendations?

Quick bump up of this thread, I'm looking for one mainly because I love NFSS but the controls are driving me insane...any recommendations?

What do you want to spend? You can go anywhere from near zero to $600

That's my problem. I want to get something good without spending a shitload. :???:

I was hoping I'd get some ideas of prices/performance.

I remember buying a cheap $15 USB wheel for my son a few years back at the local PC show and it just sucked donkey-balls, I'd like to get something that could actually control the car.

For god sake spend more than $50 (and get forcefeedback), you think nothing of spending a couple of hundred on a gfx card which will be obsolete in 2 years, a wheel could last you a decade.
Digi's suggestion is good enough(there is also the formula force ex), other sub $100 suggestions include

Thrustmaster Ferrari GT 2-in-1 Force Feedback

The Saitek R440

The Saitek R660

However I beleive the best value wheel around at the moment is the Logitech Momo
they have been removed from logitech's u.k web site but still available on the u.s web site which makes me think they have come to the end of their life and are being phased out, so get one quick...

edit: the momo is back on the u.k web page..

Last edited by a moderator:
That's my problem. I want to get something good without spending a shitload. :???:

I was hoping I'd get some ideas of prices/performance.

I remember buying a cheap $15 USB wheel for my son a few years back at the local PC show and it just sucked donkey-balls, I'd like to get something that could actually control the car.

I've bought my second Logitech Driving Force Pro for 50 euros years ago. If you can still find it, it's great value - it's only issue is that with some of its models the pedals can have a slight problem, which is however easily fixable by opening the pedal base (easy) and feeding a little more wire to its entrails. It's successor, the GT with the red dial for realtime settings adjustments in GT5 Prologue, is also pretty good and still widely available, though mostly I see it for 99 euros in stores here. But you may be able to find a better offer.

The Wingman FF is positively ancient - I used those for GT3! They wear too quickly for my taste, with unreliable pedals and force feedback that nearly gone after a year of good use. Mind you I still liked it, but today you're better off with a Driving Force Pro, Pro GT, etc.

On the top end I'd probably buy a G25 (if you can get a good deal on it) or G27 (basically the latest and greatest, at least from Logitech)

RE the Momo, there's a different, red MOMO that is actually much better. It wears fast too, and on the PS3 it wasn't compatible with all games (and now with nearly none), but it was a great wheel with awesome pedals.

the red momo was phased out years ago though and replaced with the black momo

Yes, I should have said 'was' ... there 'was' a red MOMO. :D But who knows you may still find it. Some people even use its pedal base on different wheels now, resoldering the pins if necessary.

<bump-bump!>

The holidays are coming, my wife wants something to get for me, and I'm bonkers in love with DiRT 2...what wheel should she get for me? :|

As I said before I think the best value wheel around at the mo is the logitech momo $99

there is also the FERRARI F430 Force Feedback Racing Wheel PC

there is also the driving force pro $149

If you want to spend more and you do because your wife is paying
go for a logitech g27 $299 or the g25 between $50-$100 less

You can probably get the Logitech Driving Force Pro for $49, and I think that at that price it is just about the best value for money. The Logitech Driving Force Pro GT is the newer model, with the red dial included for easier real-time settings adjustments (supported also on the PS3 in GT5 Prologue), which shouldn't be more than $99.

G25 and G27 (same kind of old/new differences as the DF Pro and DF Pro GT) are absolutely some of the best wheels, can be got with clutch pedal, H shifter etc, but pricing is at least double of the DF Pros. If you do want to invest that much money, then mind if you have large feet, in which case the G25's pedals may be just a tad uncomfortably small (I had this problem a bit), and the G27's ability to adjust the position of the pedals may just be enough to warrant the extra cash (a wheel like this can last you a very long time).

If noise may be an issue in your house, the G27 is also much, much more quiet than the G25 when turning the wheel. However, if you can afford the G27, then noise is probably also not a big issue :D

As I said before I think the best value wheel around at the mo is the logitech momo $99

there is also the FERRARI F430 Force Feedback Racing Wheel PC

there is also the driving force pro $149

If you want to spend more and you do because your wife is paying
go for a logitech g27 $299 or the g25 between $50-$100 less

I would go for G25/27 as this is once in a decade purchase, so get something good!

I've paid £25.00 for XBOX360 cheap wheel and was disappointed in quality! Bad calibration, weak FF, loud and crap (and it was Logitech).

I won't make that mistake again and I'm saving for G25 ;)

Ditto - get the G25. Insanely good and is quite affordable these days.

GTR2 + rFactor FSONE 2008 + Dirt 2 + G25 = a superb waste of life.

Back