The Order: 1886

I think soft AO can also be added to the list of effects that make a game look like CG.

Eww. That resolves the issue of handling geometry in screen-space, but it exacerbates the sense of unawareness of light sourcing to an appalling extent. Yes, it's a stable effect, but it doesn't even begin to look plausible in its context. The "I'm a negative light source" effect is so blatant that it would almost look better if you gave it negative specularity lobes or some such bizarre shenanigans, just to make the obvious fake sources more grounded in their environment :p

It's not accurate enough..you still see spherical shapes representing secondary bounce as opposed to the silhouette of the object. I'd much prefer the technique that ND uses even though it's using spheres to approximate the body.
ND's technique is nice in that it's both stable and extremely aware of the lightmap. At a glance it almost looks like a very well-filtered soft shadow, and then you notice that "it can cast in multiple directions simultaneously" according to just the baked lighting. Yay sketchy cone tracing.

The only standout weakness is the low-frequency model representation, which feels like a small price to pay for how badly it otherwise stomps on screen-space techniques.

Sadly, TLoU still uses screen-space AO, though at least it's of the half-decent variety where it occasionally errs to "no AO" on silhouettes, rather than constantly erring toward "airborne coal dust closely orbits all objects in this magical fictitious universe."

Last edited:
im pretty sure they say they need to exagerate some movement. Something like shoulder "shrug", the "breathing", etc. But im not sure wether its on interview on website or on Uncharter or TLoU behind the scene video.

I think this is the video from ND you speak of.
Go at 3:33.
[/spolier]

having watched that.. now i remember. The video i means is TLoU. The developer explaining about ellie's body animation.

btw THE ORDER already released in my country since 2014, somebody bought it, and then sony disabled it? O_O

https://store.sonyentertainmentnetw...1886/cid=HP9000-CUSA00100_00-ASIAPARENTS00000

tnYwcjF.jpg

7t2vk31.jpg

It was delayed. They probably failed to update the date. Their content management isn't fantastic. ;)

hahah yeah. They do many mistakes. I think they did a mistake with Duke Nukem 3D too. They had it for free for PS+ members ONLY for Vita last month (or was it 2?). But since they had the purchase as cross buy, something got mixed and it actually gave me access to both the PS3 and the Vita version. Awesome I tell ya

but their mistake not as AWESOME as steam.

Steam - 60 USD game -> 60 IDR

or sometime -> 60.000 IDR

while the correct price is 600.000 IDR lol

My friend is doing business in Steam (digital virtula items, keys, gift, whatever... i dont really get it) and he said steam "blunders" really give wonders to profit.

It's not accurate enough..you still see spherical shapes representing secondary bounce as opposed to the silhouette of the object. I'd much prefer the technique that ND uses even though it's using spheres to approximate the body.

In fact, The order kind of does that! Or so it seems. They have the same elipsoidal character proxys as TLOU blocking difuse GI, but from the looks of certain areas on certain clips, I believe they are using it to block directional specular reflections as well, which in fact, would look a lot like the specular lobe of a negative light....

In fact, The order kind of does that! Or so it seems. They have the same elipsoidal character proxys as TLOU blocking difuse GI, but from the looks of certain areas on certain clips, I believe they are using it to block directional specular reflections as well, which in fact, would look a lot like the specular lobe of a negative light....
It's similar to TLoU except it doesn't take direction into account.

I've noticed that shadows have different penumbra levels on different scenes (though the penumbra doesn't vary per shadow). I don't know if it's a per-light adjustment or a global adjustment during cutscenes/QTEs.

It's similar to TLoU except it doesn't take direction into account.
I suppose you could read their GDC presentation like that, but it seems like it would be a little bizarre for them not to, especially as they've baked data into the environments that should let them do it.

What would capsule-based AO even be doing if not occluding a directional source?

I suppose you could read their GDC presentation like that, but it seems like it would be a little bizarre for them not to, especially as they've baked data into the environments that should let them do it.

What would capsule-based AO even be doing if not occluding a directional source?
Oh I think I didn't express myself correctly. What I mean is that the occlusion isn't cast at a distance depending on lighting direction, like this:

tlou-3silr699u89.gif

It only works very close to the characters like in this gif:

http://i.imgur.com/NCm5xv7.gif

You're still saying "direction." So which is it? Doesn't take direction into account? Has a small capsule draw distance? Both?

Obviously it's struck you as problematic, do you have an example of somewhere where TO1886's dynamic object AO seems clearly unnatural so we can pick this apart?

Last edited:
I've not read any any downgrade discussion. I guess it's more secluded that the Lollapalooza that was the WATCH_DOGS discussion. As I've noted many times on these forums, I feel like I'm the only person interested in The Order 1886 for it's gameplay rather than it's graphics :runaway:

Back