The Order: 1886

Watched the first hour and visuals are remarkable. The real-time cut scenes looks like non-real-time renders from yesteryear. The motion blur ensures an incredibly smooth looking picture, it's what all game developers should aim for when targeting 30fps. Game play wise it looks very restrictive and linear. I guess that helps with the movie like experience. I'll wait for the game reviews before buying this.

How to make a game look like CGI:

-Desaturate the colors
-Add chromatic aberration
-Add noise
-Use DOF and motion blur as much as possible.
-Optionally increase contrast (like in P.T.)

Examples of this: KZ2, The Order 1886, P.T.

-Desaturate the colors
-Add noise

And wouldn't P.T. look awful without it? It'd certainly lose drama.

-Desaturate the colors
-Add noise

:sleep:

This thread really has descended into a 1886/Sony/CGI vs everything thread, with all sorts of assumptions and just plain nonsense.

Nothing like my assumption that the game will be a total dud, which is based on time travelling reviewers. :yep2:
Shouldn't those time travellers be making better use of their time?

This thread really has descended into a 1886/Sony/CGI vs everything thread, with all sorts of assumptions and just plain nonsense.

This. I don't know if The Order 1886 will be any good or not but there's a lot of opinion based on nothing. I certainly won't by pre-ordering it, or buying it at all, until the reviews are out with sufficient reporting about the diversity and type of gameplay that makes up the entire game. What I can say is that if I look back at the games that I've really liked, the first hour is often a poor representation of those games over many hours, days or weeks.

I really didn't take to Shadow or Mordor until more than an hour (more like two) in, then half way through the game introduced a new mechanic which made an already enjoyable game, even more bad badass and fun to play. GTA V took several hours to 'click' for me. Not every game is The Last of Us out of the gate. Many games take time to build or expand through game mechanics to become truly great.

Nothing like my assumption that the game will be a total dud, which is based on time travelling reviewers. :yep2:

It is difficult to speak about something not release and without any comment from media. 9 days before I can play the game. It is a bit long because the game is gold since a long time.

I only talk about what I have seen of graphics and I didn't watch the 1 hour gameplay video because I want to discover it myself...

Edit: and my favorite game is Drive Club I don't think review are so important for me...

Judging by this thread, apparently it's not! ;)

:D

It is easy to talk about graphics. I never talk about gameplay bevause watch a video is not playing the game. I prefer see by myself. The game is preordered And I think the Metacritic will be low but I will not cancel my preorder.

My only deception is Destiny this gen and it is my fault because I follow the hype and I am not an online player. I only like asynchronous online gameplay like challenge in Drive Club or online elements like in soul's game.

Edot: Destiny is a competent shooter but not my cup of tea too much online rooted... I am sure to not buy the Division for example or Evolve...

Last edited:

Yep, and if only some people would stop bringing back the same "blur, noise, CA" comments over and over again for weeks...

It's not like there's a lack of news and reviews about 1886...there are few people who have completed the game and they started talking about it.

http://ps4daily.com/2015/02/the-order-1886-first-impressions/

http://www.dualshockers.com/2015/02...nds-on-player-ability-doesnt-utilize-ps4-100/

http://www.dualshockers.com/2015/02...s-in-midair-info-on-length-and-replayability/

http://www.dualshockers.com/2015/01...info-on-linearity-and-super-strong-narrative/

At least "super strong narrative" is encouraging.

Shouldn't those time travellers be making better use of their time?
Definitely, my future self didn't even give me some stock picks, what an ass.

i think in one of the interview/behind the scene on Naughty Dog, they said mocap still need to be "hand tweaked" to make it looks better. They say some minute movement need to be exagerated.

Mocap has its strengths and weaknesses, but I'm not sure if you've interpreted the ND guy's comment the right way...

It's pretty good at capturing the right timing for motion, and also at picking up really subtle movement. Acting for mocap is actually quite hard, because it's very easy to overdo stuff like idle movement, and the lack of actual clothing and such also gives the talent an increased freedom of movement. For example in that 1-hour clip from the Order, just look at the various extras, everybody moves way too much for the amount of heavy clothes they're wearing.

Another important element is the actual acting. Animators are actually artists, basically actors who use a different body for their work, and while they usually shoot reference videos of themselves acting out the scene (for example Blizzard is one of the better known animation shops where they're not using any mocap at all), it's still a very different approach to actually being there in the moment. Real actors and stuntmen performing in the scene can add a lot of subtleties to the performance which could be missed by an animator in front of a camera.

However mocap has it's set of issues as well.

There's also a lot of subtle noise in the motion from the capture, as the optical systems aren't completely accurate and the markers are also not entirely fixed in position. It takes a talented animator to know what to keep and what to filter out.

On the other hand, real life can also be a bit boring (this is also true for scanning!) because video games (and movie VFX) has to be larger than life. The character has to jump further, run faster, punch harder, so these movements have to be exaggerated. Drake may act like an average person, but he's actually a superhuman in what he does.

Another important issue is that mocap skeletal movement has to be retargeted to the CG character, and it's very rare to have a 1:1 match with the actor. Proportions are different and it's common to get impossible movements because of the different length of limbs or width of shoulders / hips, like hands not touching when they're supposed to.
Good mocap studios try to get a good match, things like hiring 2 meters tall people for wookies and such, or this is the body actor for Kratos in God of War:
josephgatt-godofwar.jpg

But they're still only human and their movement is not enough and so on.
And on top of that, even a 1:1 match is problematic because you don't have 3D Xray data for the actual skeleton of the actor and have to match the CG character to the mocap data by hand, which is always going to result in inaccuracies.

Then there's the issue with hands and fingers - almost every studio uses optical mocap systems because of their flexibility, you can put the markers anywhere and also capture props and any number of people within the volume (as long as you have enough cameras). But the fingers are so close to each other that you'd always get the markers covered up by the other fingers and body parts, so it's impossible to get usable data. Noone really bothers to do that and all the fingers are animated by hand instead.

These may look like a lot of drawbacks (and as I haven't been closely involved with mocap for like 13 years, it's probably just a superficial list) but the truth is that mocap is a wonderful tool for acquiring realistic human motion (and it also works for animals). But like any other tool, it requires proficiency to make a good use of it.

im pretty sure they say they need to exagerate some movement. Something like shoulder "shrug", the "breathing", etc. But im not sure wether its on interview on website or on Uncharter or TLoU behind the scene video.

Back