how to draw curve line as mesh (in 2d, mesh generation)

i just wanna make an effect of rope, and dragging it to wherever i want, and it also can bend without any constraint. before i decided to implement it, i've found that my naive algorithm isn't feasible , my rough steps as the following:

1. using bezier or something else to generate curve point sets(red point as the following figure shows).
  2. to generate 2d curve mesh or quad based on previous and last point from the sets.
For simplicity, i just straight line(blue line) instead of quad to show you this circumstance.

in the above step 2, which result in triangles overlapping each other at round angle(as the figure shows).especially,the more curve point at the round angle,the more triangles overlap each other.so i'm looking for an elegant way to get rid of it. if you know please let me know,thank you. sorry for my bad english.

figure 1: it's just a sketch,not program screenshot.

39kZT.png

Attachments

• figure.png
    figure.png
    17.5 KB · Views: 4
Oh I had to do this for this game:
You can see the curves coming out from the PC.

Is that what you want to generate?

lol the fps in this game was so awful. in retrospect, I wish a new a bit more about culling and draw calls this game really could have used it [more culling, less draw calls]

Oh I had to do this for this game:
You can see the curves coming out from the PC.

Is that what you want to generate?

lol the fps in this game was so awful. in retrospect, I wish a new a bit more about culling and draw calls this game really could have used it [more culling, less draw calls]

yes. i just wanna implement this effect.

yes. i just wanna implement this effect.
You just need to join the last set of points as being the next set of points. If you are working with quads this should create joined points
It's up to you how you'd like to generate the thickness, I wrote this in Lua, but I think it should be good enough pseudo code. so in this instance I'm writing to an array to be drawn, if you don't do it this method you could leverage a triangle strip, that would work as well.

if vX(pv) ~= 0 and vY(pv) ~= 0 then
vNormalize(pv); //normalize the perpendicular vector for thickness of the quad against the particular point on the bezier curve, the vector on the bezier curve we want to perpendicular is V1 - V0, so it shouldn't cross through the center point of the line, smoothness is dictated by how many points you want in a line.
end

vMultiply(mpv, pv, thickness_matrix*curve_width) // multiply the perpendicular vector by the thickness that you desire, I did it by percent which causes it to start thin and grow out to a thicker line.

vAdd(result_0, v0,mpv) //now I take the point on the bezier curve add the thickness to V0
vSubtract(result_1, v0,mpv) // subtract the thickness from V0, this is now 2 points of the quad
vSubtract(result_2, v1,mpv) //subtract the thickness from V1, third point of quad
vAdd(result_3, v1,mpv) //add thickness to V1 last point of the quad

if i == 1 then
writeFloat(bezier_array,vX(result_0)) //if this is the very first quad of the bezier curve that just write the quad directly into the array
writeFloat(bezier_array,vY(result_0))
writeFloat(bezier_array,vX(result_1))
writeFloat(bezier_array,vY(result_1))
else
writeFloat(bezier_array, vX(curve_pt3rd)) //otherwise start with writing Point 4 of the last quad this is the X value
writeFloat(bezier_array, vY(curve_pt3rd)) // Y value of Pt 4 of last quad
writeFloat(bezier_array, vX(curve_pt2nd)) // X of Pt 3 of last quad
writeFloat(bezier_array, vY(curve_pt2nd)) // Y of Pt 3 of last quad
end;
writeFloat(bezier_array,vX(result_2)) // now write a new point 3
writeFloat(bezier_array,vY(result_2))
writeFloat(bezier_array,vX(result_3)) // now write a new point 4
writeFloat(bezier_array,vY(result_3))

vSetX(curve_pt2nd, vX(result_2)) //set point 4 of new quad to the new point 1
vSetY(curve_pt2nd, vY(result_2))
vSetX(curve_pt3rd, vX(result_3)) //set point 3 of new quad to the new point 2
vSetY(curve_pt3rd, vY(result_3))

Loop until done.

This would be way more efficient with a triangle strip, since each loop you are only adding 1 more point and then drawing a triangle... I guess generating points using a CPU isn't super efficient lol

Anyone know if there is a better/easier/more efficient way of doing this?

Last edited:
Back