Halo 5: Guardians [XO]

Yeah, their art direction and baking solution are probably responsible for most of the look. They certainly still have specular aliasing issues like Halo 4. On the other hand, it's pretty apparent they've got more dynamic lights, some sort of HBAO & SSR added to the mix.

Not sure if I'm asking this right, IIRC Halo(s) were never a true (at most hybrid) deferred renderer, did they switch to Forward+ or did they switch to deferred for 5? Any guesses/links?

Not sure if I'm asking this right, IIRC Halo(s) were never a true (at most hybrid) deferred renderer, did they switch to Forward+ or did they switch to deferred for 5? Any guesses/links?

No idea about H5 really, they haven't said much.

----

Speaking of dynamic lighting... it's kinda funny there are only human weapons in the beta so far.

Last edited:
Guess I was bored.

HFXUjhr.jpg

Guess I was bored.

HFXUjhr.jpg
Lol ??? Bored = controller configs???

I just did some H2A and went 8-12 and got called a Kid. Haha. Wow. Classic. Great game though

And since we are close Merry Christmas / Happy Holidays everyone!

You guys are able to download the H5 beta right now through TMCC. Just finished downloading mine and I can't wait to play it! :D

Me too! Stupid stomach bug I have been working hard for a full recovery for tomorrow. Lol

What time does the beta start? I read on reddit that it starts at 5am UK time. I myself am US central time. According to my world clock on my phone it should have started at 11pm central time. It isn't online for me it says "begins on December 29th see you then".

*!*8 just placed in _Iron_ 3.

Goodness =( Regrettably it took me several rounds of play to get used to 'halo' again, but I didn't think I was doing too poorly at the end. But the match making seems to be right if you are winning about 50% of your matches you are correctly placed.

Hmm. By the sound of that preview, 343i is desperately trying to make a Call of Halo game.

I just hope the game ships with Big Team Battle, Invasion (from Reach), and Firefight. I really don't give a shit about their small map 4v4 team slayer stuff.

Also, after playing a lot of raids in Destiny, I think more PvE options would work really well in Halo. I wish 343 would explore this idea more.

Good to know... Wonder what BRDFs they rolled with.

Just add some glows onto the armour. :p

Last edited:
How Fans Helped Shape The Multiplayer Of Halo 5: Guardians
https://www.halowaypoint.com/en-us/...ped-shape-the-multiplayer-of-halo-5-guardians

h5-beta-infographic-9620f1da5e024c8ca6e84a06a71df851.jpg

Gamespot had a nice summary here...

STATS:
  • Total Number of Player: About 1 million
  • Total matches played: nearly 20 million
  • Total gameplay hours: 2,539,847
  • Total Kills: 181,389,366
  • Total Assists: 92,245,468
  • Total Ground Pound Kills: 565,902
  • Total Spartan Charge Kills: 1,286,085
  • Frag Grenade Kills: 11,529,664
  • Plasma Grenade Kills: 1,104,218
  • Total Shots Fired: 6,492,761,794
  • Battle Rifles were carried for: the equivalent of 207 days
  • Most popular power weapon: Sniper Rifle – 6,606,200 kills
  • Most Medals Earned: 24,998 (SSlCK)
  • Killpocalypse Medals Earned: 1 (Omnipression)
  • Total hours watched on Twitch: 44,693,800
  • Most minutes watched on Twitch of a single gamer: 7,852,300 (Ninja)
  • Gamers with the most unique viewers on Twitch:
    • Ninja: 437,960
    • Walshy: 348,460
  • Red vs Blue Win Percentage: Red: 47.45%, Blue: 52.55%
CHANGES:

Spartan Abilities:

• Don't like Sprint in your Halo? You're in luck, as 343 will allow you to toggle off Sprint and all other Spartan Abilities in custom games.
  • Increase base speed (faster base movement)
  • Increase strafe acceleration (faster, more responsive strafing)
  • Reduce top sprint speed (narrow the delta between base movement and sprint)
  • Modify Ground Pound controls to prevent conflicts w/ crouch jumping
  • General tuning & bug fixes for all Spartan Abilities (Thrusters, Clamber, Ground Pound, etc.)
Weapons:

• Goal is to balance all weapons to be equally effective both in and out of zoom while continuing to respect the function of each mode.
  • 343 is changing the Hydra weapon to make it more effective when not zoomed so that it feels like a true power weapon.
  • Sniper Rifle: improve scope experience to making it less “clunky” and faster to scope in
  • DMR: adjust position of the scope to improve visibility
  • Bring back the SPNKr Rocket Launcher as a legendary version of the weapon
  • Reduce bonuses for automatic weapons in Smart-Link & w/ headshots
  • Remove grenade detonation in mid-air based on weapon fire
  • Ability to turn on/off vibration feedback for weapons
  • General tuning and bug fixing for all weapons
Presentation

• Remember those intro and victory sequences, when Spartans would chest-bump and high-five? 343 now thinks that doesn't quite fit with the game's tone. As a result, you can expect the final sequences to feature considerably fewer chest bumps and high fives.
  • Post-death replay: this will become an opt-in feature. After death, players will see a traditional follow-cam and have the option to view a replay of their death from the killer’s perspective (as long as the feature is enabled within the playlist)
  • Medals: decrease frequency and number of medals displayed in the medal feed
  • Spartan chatter: players will have the option to turn this on or off in the settings menu
  • Adding highlights to placed/dropped weapons to make them easier to see
  • General tuning for announcer and Spartan chatter to reduce the frequency of events and focus on the information that matters most to players
Competitive Skill Ranking

"Our skill rating system is one of the pillars for competitive play of Halo 5: Guardians and we’ll be continuing to refine it throughout development. The focus for our team coming out of the beta includes:"

• Improved skill detection during placement phase
  • Improved skill matching
  • Improved team balancing
  • Prevent skill boosting
  • General bug fixing & tuning
Matchmaking

Thought Halo 5's matchmaking system failed to match you with players of similar skill? You're in luck, as 343 said it is tweaking the matchmaking system to not only get you into games faster, but also to place you in more competitive matches more regularly.

Coming out of the beta, 343 plans to focus on the following area:

• Much faster matches
  • Better skill matching
  • Better feedback to players in the lobby and matchmaking experiences
  • Allow players to set desired datacenter for matchmaking (may impact matchmaking speed and skill balance)
  • Improved party vs party matchmaking
  • Hide CSR ranks until in match to de-incentivize quitting
  • Punish quitters with CSR penalties and matchmaking bans

Tommy McClain

The audio director needs to take a chill pill with the # of fwap thud thunk chink kink tink daft punk da funk bleep bweep sheep grana weep nini bong.

The ADS needs to not obstruct view so much. If I wanted tunnel vision, I'd play _________________

Last edited:
Aaron Greenberg creates some serious hype about the upcoming Halo 5:

Halo 5 is gonna be huge. It should be one of the biggest entertainment releases of the year if we do our job right. I think what we’ve got with Master Chief and Locke is a marketer’s dream. The game is just super-innovative. I think this is a title that 343 has dreamed of making, and they’re innovating in ways that our jaws are dropping.

So we wanna be able to step up and deliver the type of products quality and marketing to match the quality of the game. That’s a challenge on us. But we have no doubt that the product they’re making is gonna be pretty amazing.

It’s such a deep story. To me it’s like the closest thing to playing in a real movie, you know. I love campaign. I play multiplayer and I enjoy it, but I just love to get deep in the campaign and co-op you know, and Halo was kind of the birth of that, and also at the same time has innovated the multiplayer, so I’m excited with what they’re doing with Halo 5, and we’ll be revealing more soon"

https://twitter.com/XboxMAD/status/569267777665667072/photo/1

I really hope 343 releases some footage of the campaign. I would like to see the direction they are taking the single-player as far as how big the encounters are. That and see how far the graphics have come since the beta. Haven't touched Halo 4 in MONTHS and I rarely play TMCC. So as you can see, my confidence for 343 in delivering a true and playable Halo experience is wearing thin.

I'm willing to give them a chance with Halo 5, but it won't be a day 1 purchase like other Halos in the past. I'll wait and see what reviewers and other players have to say about it. If it's all good, 343 will have my $60.

Meh, after all the MCC problems...should we really believe in another 343 PR talk?

Super innovative? Better would be super polished and working with actual dedicated servers.

Back