Graphical effects that should be standard by now but aren't

I'm surprised no ones mentioned POM (Parallax occlusion mapping)
is there a reason for this has it been superseded ?

I'm surprised no ones mentioned POM (Parallax occlusion mapping)
is there a reason for this has it been superseded ?
Well..judging by Doom 3 mods, which is where I first saw this effect in motion, it must to be used carefully because some Doom 3 modded levels looked like the bumpiest Roman road. A road like that would be an ankle breaker IRL and there are ancient ox carts in the region where I live with flatter and more balanced surfaces to ride or walk on.

Some effects I miss are typical Far Cry 2 techniques, like Fire propagation, and by pixel destruction -whatever it's called-. I remember loving how the vegetation was affected by fire in FC2 and how it regenerated. Then I also loved to shot at tress' branches and seeing them break exactly where the projectile hit was amazing. I enjoyed to see how trees' limbs reacted to such things in that game.

@Cyan
i missed that "intertactivity" too. A world that react to what player do. But are those effect expensive? because nowadays more and more games going away from dynamic and getting in love with static stuff (does not mean static=not moving, but ... um... i dont know how to say in english >_<).

@Cyan
i missed that "intertactivity" too. A world that react to what player do. But are those effect expensive? because nowadays more and more games going away from dynamic and getting in love with static stuff (does not mean static=not moving, but ... um... i dont know how to say in english >_<).

Do you mean canned animations? Levolution in BF4 is an example of that. It's terrain deformation but it always happens the same way. Total waste of time, IMO.

Compare that to BFBC where building destruction was dynamic and unscripted. It was on a smaller scale, but felt more natural and could be used tactically. Red Faction is another example.

I'd like games to focus less on graphics and more on actual game-enhancing features like physics and terrain deformation/destruction.

Also, I miss BFBC. :(

@FarticusMaximus
yeah! canned animation., thanks.

BFBC was a mix of dynamic and canned. I think it was awesome. Too bad bungie going further away from dynamics and more into canned stuff
and the upcoming new ranbow siege also using canned stuff.

yeah, canned stuff is more practical and problem-free. But i want to stop consuming canned stuff...

@London-boy
"Strategically" destroying structures feels satisfying in redfaction :D

Some effects I miss are typical Far Cry 2 techniques, like Fire propagation, and by pixel destruction -whatever it's called-. I remember loving how the vegetation was affected by fire in FC2 and how it regenerated.

Was playing gta 5 around the observatory, when I decided to destroy to a car that I had turned over driving too fast around a corner and got stuck on a tree. It exploded and the grass caught fire, which I didn't know could happen. :oops:

I watched and then waited to see how far it would spread. 60 seconds later two fire trucks showed up and about 8 fire fighters with extinguishers promptly put the fire out. :cry:

Was playing gta 5 around the observatory, when I decided to destroy to a car that I had turned over driving too fast around a corner and got stuck on a tree. It exploded and the grass caught fire, which I didn't know could happen. :oops:

I watched and then waited to see how far it would spread. 60 seconds later two fire trucks showed up and about 8 fire fighters with extinguishers promptly put the fire out. :cry:

Fire does propagate in GTAV, which was to my surprise too. I once tried to kill multiple enemies inside a room on a wooden house, and threw a grenede there. That did kill them, but as I continued my way inside the house, I'd soon discover the whole thing was getting caught on fire, and at one point I was cornered completely and died! Which despite frustrating, was trully awsome, I think. Ironically, that mission required me to actually burn the house down at the end, but only after all enemies were killed, and you found your way to the methlab at the basement. At that point, the house is burnt down on a cutscene, and their sophisticated fire propagation system doesn't get to be shown proper hahaha.

Does this happen for just that house? or are there also other wooden houses that have this feature?

Does this happen for just that house? or are there also other wooden houses that have this feature?

I've noticed that happening in different wooden strucutures a couple other times, and with weeds as well, but I don't know how general that behaviour is.

I think Far Cry 4 went backwards in that sense and seems to have lost fire propagation -not entirely sure yet-, and per pixel hit detection compared to Far Cry 2.

As for aforementioned technologies like POM, I quite like it when it's well implemented, this is a real life Roman road:

roman_road_02.jpg

And this is the parallax POM -it scares the hell out of me, I don't know why- in a modded Doom 3 game:

Doom_3_Parallax_POM_03.jpg

DOOM3_2012_09_17_19_41_30_824.jpg

5VjAh.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

doom3-2011-08-13-15-28-52-372.jpg

UUUUUUUGH BARF

what the heck was that screenshots? You play inside a brain or a tumor or something?
the grounds really looks disgusting.

it looks wet, slimy, crunchy, uneven..... looks like my lil bro's medical presentation slides :/

Yeah a lot of POM implementations have had far too much specular and curves to look really good and you get that brain look. I think Crysis did it well, even though there was no AF applied. Newer engines shouldn't be as bad though with better rendering techniques not having everything so shiny like Unreal games.

Also the flashes last very little so cameras can have a hard time capturing them:

You need to consider barrel length, cartridge size and the amount of propellant. Short barrel AKS-74Us use an obscenely large (for their size) 5.45 x 39 mm cartridge, in commonality with all general AK-74 variants, so there is plenty of propellant cooking itself off after the round leaves the muzzle. Machine-pistols like the MP5K and Micro-Uzi have the same issue. Pretty much any .45 caliber pistol does too.

The whole factory is made of POM surfaces (FC4):

Q7ob.jpg

EDIT: also used on non-flat surfaces:

f8ob.jpg

Last edited:
POM stretches the shit out of textures on the sides which always looked off putting to me, not sure if want them everywhere.

POM stretches the shit out of textures on the sides which always looked off putting to me, not sure if want them everywhere.
I dont think what you see is texture stretching due to POM. I think its intentional as those "pieces" are wood pieces which tend to have similar lines on the sides

edit: mmm I think you may be right after all, but I believe they can be avoided.

Anyways the most off putting thing about POM surfaces is that objects standing on them look like they are floating or like they are copy pasted there since the surface is actually flat (i.e see the mortar on the first image)

Back