"Yes, but how many polygons?" An artist blog entry with interesting numbers

Most likely, Square hair.
20,000 for hair is five times previous-gen? Are they talking in general, or about their own stuff? Because I'd be more than a little astounded if FFXIII is blowing 4,000 polys on hair on those models.

http://supernovo.net/wp-content/uploads/2013/10/Lightning-Demo.png
http://drunkengamersuk.files.wordpress.com/2008/08/final-fantasy-xiii-20080826034725928.jpg
http://assets.rpgsite.net/images/images/000/010/618/original/13207.jpg

As for FF15, they are really coming close to Advent Children in regard to look of the characters. Great stuff, same as with Agni's Philosophy.
http://www.agnisphilosophy.com/files/img/philosophy/screenshots/original_a.jpg

How many polygons are the Ground Zeroes models?

I don't have the models yet or the figures. They might be landing at the 20k mark (viewing the models as a whole with gear) Don't know for sure. The only up to date title that i can think of which had assets that originated from the Fox engine was MGR, in which case it had in game assets entering 20k. (Raiden is also a playable character in the bonus mission from GZ.)

I'll post the figures of GZ whenever the models are up for grabs.

From Famitsu interview with FF XV devs:

I read that also from here. I was actually going to post it up. that's a little over 10x the amount of polygons from FFXIII. 100k poly characters rendered in open world landscapes, almost tempted to already crown this game king of current gen. that's an amazing bar for the consoles. And the graphics do feel pretty close to FFVII Advent Children to be honest.

Wokb.png

This is about the only close up of Noctis's wire frame i could get for gameplay.

Uokb.png

It's a messy screen grab but during motion you can't see any spaces for his head mesh, it seems pretty dense.

Now of course these pictures weren't exactly taken from the consoles or the demo that will be playable, the footage of FFXV was from their computers running the luminous 1.4 engine. Which is still ongoing in their latest city walkthrough vid, showing unfinished level design.

Anways, Here's a target Game play shot of Noctis from last video.

Zokb.png

It does look great If I do say so for in game. great lighting. Fingers crossed on the 100k characters to stick in the demo and retail.

I just hope they get the IQ up. Some of the recent videos (the car driving around) had some horrible aliasing. There are ways to remove those and NOT destroy the rest of the image. Use them.

If the costs of higher fidelity doesn't effect in game assets then sure. I would just go with some effective multisampling. FFXV is a big opportunity for square to closely reach Advent Children's characters, i'd hate to see this opportunity pushed over to the next game, whenever that may be.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Alien Isolation

Ellen Ripley - 39,283 polygons
Parker - 27,756 polygons
Ash - 20,635 polygons
Joan Lambert - 28,854 polygons
Samuels - 29,590 polygons
Taylor (without glasses) - 39,646 polygons

video down below of Alien Isolation models.

Big credit to cra0kalo, for the video. Really big credit to The Creative Assembly for the game.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Merry christmas eve to all of you guys, may your hopes and dreams come true! make good choices!

Last edited:
I don't have the models yet or the figures. They might be landing at the 20k mark (viewing the models as a whole with gear) Don't know for sure. The only up to date title that i can think of which had assets that originated from the Fox engine was MGR, in which case it had in game assets entering 20k. (Raiden is also a playable character in the bonus mission from GZ.)

I'll post the figures of GZ whenever the models are up for grabs.

I read that also from here. I was actually going to post it up. that's a little over 10x the amount of polygons from FFXIII. 100k poly characters rendered in open world landscapes, almost tempted to already crown this game king of current gen. that's an amazing bar for the consoles. And the graphics do feel pretty close to FFVII Advent Children to be honest.

Wokb.png

This is about the only close up of Noctis's wire frame i could get for gameplay.

Uokb.png

It's a messy screen grab but during motion you can't see any spaces for his head mesh, it seems pretty dense.

Now of course these pictures weren't exactly taken from the consoles or the demo that will be playable, the footage of FFXV was from their computers running the luminous 1.4 engine. Which is still ongoing in their latest city walkthrough vid, showing unfinished level design.

Anways, Here's a target Game play shot of Noctis from last video.

Zokb.png

It does look great If I do say so for in game. great lighting. Fingers crossed on the 100k characters to stick in the demo and retail.

If the final game will have this aspect on consoles....it will be for sure the truly first next gen game...it would have the technological impact that the first Gears of War has for the last console gen, back in 2006, and it will be traduced on a new standard for visuals on games!

I've just realized that our involvement is not public yet so I'd rather not say more.

Except that it shouldn't be that hard to figure it out...

Last edited:
Assassin's Creed.

Assassn's Creed IV: Black Flag - Edward Kenway - 39,936 polygons

A real surprise for Edward considering how his arms are so edgy. His outfit contains a mixture of extra modeld asstes like buckles, buttons and some extra polys tracing his jacket. you can see in the shots below.

Example 1
Example 2

reference picture to compare.

Assassin's Creed V: Unity - Arno Kenway - 57,356 polygons

Arno's Outfits range from 35k and up. his default outfit alone (without head model) is 44,997 polygons. for in-game cutscenes characters shoot past the 300k mark using high resolution hair LOD models. The hair LODs in particular are also treated differently than the character models them selves.

Unfortunately since these models are a separate format they weren't successfully extracted fully, but here are some samples below to show how high they are while in an incomplete state.

Example 1
Example 2

Big Credit to milance941 and Loris for these models.

Back