Sony is bleeding money - business strategy discussion

IF a gospel musician wants to make money, they cross over and sing more commercial songs, like the way Sam Cooke or Al Green did.

Really? You want to troll with the rootkit argument?

Maybe I'm remembering it wrong, BMG was still headed by Thomas Hesse when Sony bought 50% stake in the company. He was a technologically-illiterate exec, and was presented with a technology to prevent piracy and they implemented it. It wasn't from Sony, it was a third party company which nobody talks about. At the time I was quite active and angry against them and boycotted Sony-BMG ever since, I talked about it as much as I could.

At the same time the Playstation division launched the PS3 with a complete CD ripper and lookup CDDB for track naming, and allowed to export it on any USB device, including any MP3 players, it could rip BMG's CDs. Shills were telling people to boycott the PS3 because of BMG, the irony was palpable. It was hilariously stupid. Playstation were the good guys in this debate. They had issues elsewhere, but the new management are extremely upfront about past mistakes. Having a CD ripper in the PS3 wasn't one of them.

Sony only took control of BMG in 2008, they didn't have control until that point in time. Thomas Hesse is gone, but he certainly had enough time to tarnish Sony's name.

This is 2015. I'm talking about today. The ongoing attitude of Sony Playstation execs since E3 2013 is near perfect, they currently make the brand look very good with their brutal honesty, and they must stay on this track because it's obviously working.

I have the memory of an elephant and it was 2005 that the rootkit happened
http://www.networkworld.com/article.../sony-bmg-rootkit-scandal--5-years-later.html
I'm taking a class to get my network security cert and its in the text book .

Sony's reputation was ruined with me after two very poor dvd players and a really bad stereo system for my car. The bad ps3 I got also didn't help.

Few people I know think of sony in a good light. It seems only in the console industry are people in love with sony still.

http://www.networkworld.com/article.../sony-bmg-rootkit-scandal--5-years-later.html

Sony's reputation was ruined with me after two very poor dvd players and a really bad stereo system for my car. The bad ps3 I got also didn't help.

Few people I know think of sony in a good light. It seems only in the console industry are people in love with sony still.
I have owned 2 worthless Sony car CD players myself. One completely fried after 3 months of use and the other had a defective amplifier. The Ps2 with it's terribly shoddy DVD drive got me twice as well. Only the Ps2 slim I owned worked perfectly. The PsOne was a great machine as well as the Ps3. Sony's TVs are also pretty well made. It comes down to the luck of the draw when it comes to peoples opinions of Sony consumer electronics. I know a lot of people who love them.

well remember sony was sued with a class action due to the ps1 and ps2 and how they handled the problems. Both systems had a lot of trouble way before the rrod

Let me guess, your 360s performed flawless (rrod wasn't really that bad,right), you love windows 8 and windows ce was just misunderstood.

I think the music division of Sony got what it deserved when it got sued into hell and had to ask for forgiveness for being incompetent, stupid and evil.

But it takes something special to keep the fire burning for so long. If I can forgive Microsoft for causing a hd format war, killing pc gaming, destroying Nokia, and having outrageous license polices then there should be hope for you as well.

How could y'all forget Sony's image sensors and cameras ? I thought the PS3 and the studios were amazing for the past 10 years. I had a lot of fun.

These anecdotes completely worthless, birds of a feather flock together.

You know what would help this discussion? A consumer satisfaction survey.
http://bgr.com/2014/01/21/apple-customer-satisfaction-study-forrester-2014/
Amazon handily topped rivals in Forrester’s 2014 study with a total score of 91. That’s a huge improvement from 2013’s score of 85, though 85 would still have been enough to lead the pack in 2014.
Sony’s score of 83 was good enough for the No. 2 spot, while Microsoft and Samsung shared the No. 3 position with a score of 82 points each. Apple rounded out the top-5 with a score of 81.
forrester-customer-satisfaction-apple.jpg

That's good for sony , when you make a fraction of the products you used to make even just 5 years ago its bound to help you out.

just to be less snarky

The graph looks great but it means nothing.

These are the questions asked

The study gauges consumers’ satisfaction level with consumer electronics brands by posing three questions: 1) How enjoyable were they to do business with? 2) How easy were they to do business with? 3) How effective were they at meeting your needs?

So 1) its not an indepth study of reliability. 2) Sony doesn't have actual stores so how are these people doing business with sony ? Sony's stores failed and all closed.

The survey would have impressed me if it talked about reliability of a product and polled the consumers at year 1 , 2 ,3

Last edited:
Let me guess, your 360s performed flawless (rrod wasn't really that bad,right), you love windows 8 and windows ce was just misunderstood.

I think the music division of Sony got what it deserved when it got sued into hell and had to ask for forgiveness for being incompetent, stupid and evil.

But it takes something special to keep the fire burning for so long. If I can forgive Microsoft for causing a hd format war, killing pc gaming, destroying Nokia, and having outrageous license polices then there should be hope for you as well.
You sound angry. I still have my launch 360 as a media extender . Windows 8 is fine for me , I ran it on my pc every day until I put on the preview of 10 and its great on my surface. The only windows ce I had a chance to use was windows mobile and compared to the other phones out at the time they were very nice.

I don't have to keep the fire burning , sony did it for me. I've owned many products from sony and I've had a string of problems with them , my ps1 was about 1995 ,the dvd player was circa 1998 , playstation 2 was 2002 as were the speakers for my car and then I've posted about my problems with my ps3 and the bluray drive dying. So I have previously given them a chance with hardware.

I've had great success with Samsung and vizio and Microsoft hardware. We have 3 Samsung tvs all going strong , my vizio is from 2006 and is working fine , my surface pro 1 is a tank and I have a force feed back flight stick from Microsoft that still works and that's got to be like 15 years old now.

I've just never had a poor string of problems with a single company and its product like I've had with sony. I think the last thing I bought from them that I had no trouble with was my discman with esp on it. Which had to be like 1997 or 1998 . I was in highschool with that

You sound angry. I still have my launch 360 as a media extender .

No, I stopped being angry a long time ago, about when hddvd died a horrible embarrassing death and went down in a fire with the death cries of its supporters. Been happy ever since :)

You do understand how lucky you are with that 360, you should put it on ebay.

That's good for sony , when you make a fraction of the products you used to make even just 5 years ago its bound to help you out.

just to be less snarky

The graph looks great but it means nothing.

These are the questions asked

The study gauges consumers’ satisfaction level with consumer electronics brands by posing three questions: 1) How enjoyable were they to do business with? 2) How easy were they to do business with? 3) How effective were they at meeting your needs?

So 1) its not an indepth study of reliability. 2) Sony doesn't have actual stores so how are these people doing business with sony ? Sony's stores failed and all closed.

The survey would have impressed me if it talked about reliability of a product and polled the consumers at year 1 , 2 ,3
Nobody cares if you're impressed or not. You're the one who makes flamebait claims, and you can't support them. Your shift the burden of proof every time.

Bluray dead? nope.
But it's because of sales? nope.
Sony' reputation is ruined? nope.
rootkit lol, car stereo crap? irrelevant in 2015.

This from 2013 before the PS4 launch.http://www.pcmag.com/article/print/317315
Sony overall reliability (8.8)

405176-gaming-consoles-overall.jpg

Want proof at sony's reputation ? Just look at all the divisions they've sold off or shuttered. Look at their cell phone division that continues to loose money quarter after quarter or their tv division that is doing worse and worse.

Sony has been in a huge slump for the last decade.

Bluray is still only a fraction of the sales of DVDs at its peak. Blu-rays price per disc has tanked and now you can get the bluray + dvd + digital copy for $20 bucks on release day.

You say the root kit and other things are no longer relevant but I see that they are , even sony's iconic Walkman line has been tarnished with failed attempts to relaunch it multiple times in the last decade. Sony is fleeing markets where their name means nothing at all anymore.

You show me a customer satisfaction survey that means nothing , sony has no stores because they all failed and were shuttered so 2 of the questions in your survey mean nothing since there was no interaction with sony itself but with a 3rd party store or their website.

Want proof at sony's reputation ? Just look at all the divisions they've sold off or shuttered. Look at their cell phone division that continues to loose money quarter after quarter or their tv division that is doing worse and worse.

Sony has been in a huge slump for the last decade.

Bluray is still only a fraction of the sales of DVDs at its peak. Blu-rays price per disc has tanked and now you can get the bluray + dvd + digital copy for $20 bucks on release day.

You say the root kit and other things are no longer relevant but I see that they are , even sony's iconic Walkman line has been tarnished with failed attempts to relaunch it multiple times in the last decade. Sony is fleeing markets where their name means nothing at all anymore.

You show me a customer satisfaction survey that means nothing , sony has no stores because they all failed and were shuttered so 2 of the questions in your survey mean nothing since there was no interaction with sony itself but with a 3rd party store or their website.

I am on my first Sony Android, the best android phone i have owned, the reputation was crap until the launched the Z series, the reviews back me up. If they are losing money it is NOT because their product is bad and it has zero to do with their reputation. (I know you are shifting around your targets again but hey). Next thing i will be a Sony fanboy, and you will ignore that the last Sony phone i owned was a Sony Ericsson K750 (i think) and since then i have owned, HTC, Samsung and Google Nexus.
This apple tastes way more like an apple than this orange, and Blu-Ray is selling better than YOU wants it to do, and worse than DVD because it is a whole different comparison. Your record is broken, for the past years you have shouted how Blu-Ray was dead, at some point you will be 100% correct (and guess who will agree with you), but by then you will have been wrong so many times that you could be a famous Console Analyst!

This Orange taste way more like an orange than this Apple, and how does a Root kit compare to the death of tape based Walkman? Not only did the Walkman die, there is not any real portable audio device anymore, the RIO player got killed, Philips DCC died, minidisc died, everything died, Sony was NOT the only one making a "walkman" so the others must suck hard as well?. And just how would you figure that the Sony Walkman should be able to be the one and only to survive the inevitable death by MP3? If anything you should be showing respect to them for trying to battle Apple at something that can not be won. And they still do, it is stupid, but they still try.

If failure was a measure for reputation you could just as well be gunning for Microsoft. They lost the Smartphone market, Tablet market, Video market, Search, Social Media, Cloud Computing, mail service, photo service, HDDVD, Zune, the list goes on.

eastmen, your axe to grind is causing a lot of confirmation bias.

You keep justifying your feelings about reputation with the amount of profit, your are mixing up causality.

eastmen, your axe to grind is causing a lot of confirmation bias.

You keep justifying your feelings about reputation with the amount of profit, your are mixing up causality.

Poor reputation leads to reduced sales. which leads to reduced profit.

Sony's failures in multiple market segments are in part due to their waning reputation. The playstation is about the only product they make where users have to have a sony product and even that is more of a product of their competition screwing up.

But we will go on like this forever because while you claim I have an axe to grind with sony , you also have a hard on for them and their products. But hey another year will come and go and sony will have to exit another market just as they have done the last few years and at a point in time in the future sony will be music , video games and home loans/ insurance

Poor reputation leads to reduced sales. which leads to reduced profit.

Sony's failures in multiple market segments are in part due to their waning reputation. The playstation is about the only product they make where users have to have a sony product and even that is more of a product of their competition screwing up.

But we will go on like this forever because while you claim I have an axe to grind with sony , you also have a hard on for them and their products. But hey another year will come and go and sony will have to exit another market just as they have done the last few years and at a point in time in the future sony will be music , video games and home loans/ insurance
Okay.

A rectangle is not a square. Reputation can cause a loss of sales, but a loss of sales is no proof of loss of reputation.

Last edited:
Back