GPU scaling

Frank

Certified not a majority
Veteran
I like playing old games, which run in any resolution less than my native one, which is 1920*1080, and most likely in 4:3 format.

While my ATI Radeon HD 6850 now supposedly supports GPU upscaling, while keeping the expected aspect ratio, it doesn't seem to work. Ever.

I know it was completely broken until about half a year ago, but now the CCC suggests that it should work, by offering buttons and checkboxes to enable it.

So, when I check all the boxes, how do I make it actually happen? Having the GPU upscale any resolution less than the native one, and keeping the aspect ratio? Does it require black magic and hacking?

Do I need to buy a new GPU? Which one is certified to actually do it?

Edit: as to why I want it: the last two (and my current) monitors (actually large LCD-TV's) tend to refuse, distort or clip anything smaller than about 1024*768 (which they stretch and distort to full-screen), making it hard or impossible to play the games.

Last edited by a moderator:
on my radeon, you need to lower desktop resolution than native to make the scaling work.

so, i have monitor 16:10. i set desktop resolusion to lower ,and 4:3. then i can play game in proper 4:3.

it also only works in digital output (DVI/HDMI)

I'm on Cat 14.7 and R9 290X and it just works for me.
The difference is, my screen doesn't have hardware scaler and whenever a game can't support 2560x1440 or is too slow at that resolution (doesn't happen yet) then I select game resolution to lets say 1920x1080 or 1280x720 and my card still stretches it out to full 2560x1440.
Really great feature and when scaled 1280x720 there is no blurring introduced either :D

Thanks, orangpelupa! That works.

Edit: Or no, it doesn't. It only fixes the aspect ratio. It still switches to a very low resolution and the picture gets clipped.

And at a resolution of 640*480 it becomes impossible to have the setting stick (it will revert to a different one after a while).

Last edited by a moderator:
Is it possible to tell the CCC that my monitor only supports a single resolution?

Can you create a 1440x1080 resolution and use that?
Many, most older games will then list it as an option and some others will allow it via console, config file or command line flags (Quake 1 with glquake :eek: )

Dreaming of a 1920x1200 120Hz monitor and just using 1600x1200 in old stuff without needing to do anything.

Ah, won't work for 2D stuff (at fixed 640x480, 800x600)

So, today I tried it again, this time for X-com: Apocalypse. And, of course, like all the previous times, with all the other games, it failed.

What do I have to do to make it work? Build a new dll? I can do that! Just give me some pointers!

Or, alternative, tell me what questions to ask which people. Because this is what I want.

Back