Graphical effects that should be standard by now but aren't

Binaural audio I think should be there by now!! ;)

I think a lot of people would say 1080p60fps should be standard but isn't.
A general lack of high quality AF is a bit disappointing to not see as a standard yet.

But avoiding the obvious, high quality shadows?

Anisotropic filtering, decent post-aa (more and more game have it, nice), light that consistently cast shadow, audio that follow what is visualized and room condition.

and... graphical effects option. Especially for something like Motion blur and Chromatic Aberration.

I suppose the duration of the flash is greatly exaggerated in games, surely in KZ2 even though it does add to the atmosphere. It's a gunshot, not fireworks.

I'm absolutely puzzled by the lack of AF in recent games. Completely puzzled.

I think in a world with real computational limitations, imposing just about any form of rendering standard is a pretty dumb idea. That's especially true for the kinds of effects that fall squarely into the blink and you'll miss 'em category. So even if game x choses to not have muzzle flash shadows in order to free up resources so something possibly a lot more crucial can be put on screen, it's still inferior to game y? That's just bollocks.

If someone decided to make a game that looked about the same as, let's say, FF Advent Children, but in order to pull it off he'd have to cap it at 640x480/30 for whatever reasons, I'd say more power to him personally.

Last edited:
I'm absolutely puzzled by the lack of AF in recent games. Completely puzzled.
AF should be a mandatory feature on current-gen consoles. Not negotiable, IMO... There's fewer things more irritating to my eyes than creepy-crawly-anty textures rainbowing with moiré patterns.

Also, surprised nobody's mentioned tesselation yet. I've certainly expected much more there, especially considering it's been around on the PC for years now, although mostly just as a checkbox feature outside a few specific instances/implementations - the most high-profile ones being benchmarking software, unfortunately... :p

what i dont get is, AF very light on PC. But console games still have blurry textures on slanted positions... While x1 and PS4 are basically a PC. I think this "AF Weight" on consoles has been discussed somewhere on B3D... or im just dreaming it.

AF should be a mandatory feature on current-gen consoles. Not negotiable, IMO...
I agree with that. It's as necessary as mip filtering. We don't want shimmering textures when shrunk and we don't want blurred at textures at oblique angles. It's also weird because last-gen we thought we'd get reasonable AF but still it's lacking in some titles.

AF should be a mandatory feature on current-gen consoles. Not negotiable, IMO... There's fewer things more irritating to my eyes than creepy-crawly-anty textures rainbowing with moiré patterns.

Also, surprised nobody's mentioned tesselation yet. I've certainly expected much more there, especially considering it's been around on the PC for years now, although mostly just as a checkbox feature outside a few specific instances/implementations - the most high-profile ones being benchmarking software, unfortunately... :p
I second that.

I'd add 60 fps should be mandatory no matter what. I am getting used to play games at 60 fps on the Xbox One and I can't stand 30 fps anymore.

Additionally, lens flare should be mandatory too.

There's a whole thread on mandatory 60 fps - let's not bring that one into here.

As for lens flare, surely it depends on the game? For example, in any first-person game where the POV is the player's own eyes, it makes little sense.

I think Sigfried1977 is right and very, very few effects should be mandatory.

There's a whole thread on mandatory 60 fps - let's not bring that one into here.

As for lens flare, surely it depends on the game? For example, in any first-person game where the POV is the player's own eyes, it makes little sense.

I think Sigfried1977 is right and very, very few effects should be mandatory.
Agreed. Considering the growth and market size of Minecraft, I really don't see the need for anything to be standard. Heck if required some people would be more than happy going back to MUDs and BBS style gaming.

Getting the obvious stuff out of the way (mainly IQ related tech), I would love to see everything being tessellated and displaced mapped.

We have been promised tessellation since the PS2 era, and even two generations later low poly objects and textured detail are still a thing :(

Regardless of whether muzzleflashes are exaggerated in games or not, the point is that if you have an intense source of light with a sizable radius, it should cast shadows, otherwise it looks wrong.

I think in a world with real computational limitations, imposing just about any form of rendering standard is a pretty dumb idea. That's especially true for the kinds of effects that fall squarely into the blink and you'll miss 'em category. So even if game x choses to not have muzzle flash shadows in order to free up resources so something possibly a lot more crucial can be put on screen, it's still inferior to game y? That's just bollocks.

If someone decided to make a game that looked about the same as, let's say, FF Advent Children, but in order to pull it off he'd have to cap it at 640x480/30 for whatever reasons, I'd say more power to him personally.
If your going for photorealism, shadows are a key component.

Human eyes have lenses so for a fully realistic rendering you do need lens flares (not JJ Abrahams levels, of course).

Back