Controller parts - replacement analog stick switches/sensors, replacement buttons etc

Scott_Arm

Legend
Anyone done any controller repair in the past? I'm not talking about replacing the plastic thumbsticks, but the actual thumbstick switch/sensor (whatever you want to call it). I'm really hard on controllers, playing FIFA and NHL. I tend to wear the left thumbstick out, and I get drift. Seeing as controllers are really expensive, if someone had a reliable source for components, I could repair my own controllers because I have the soldering skills.

Maybe share sites for components for all platforms, if possible, so anyone else in the same boat will know where to look.

Over the years, I've seen many a controller cobbled together from other broken controllers salvaged, and they always feel it! Never quite clipping together, triggers lacking travel or having give, etc. I reckon it'd take a skilled engineer (and/or maybe some fancy tools) to assemble one to the same standard as a bought controller.

Not to discourage you! ;)

Over the years, I've seen many a controller cobbled together from other broken controllers salvaged, and they always feel it! Never quite clipping together, triggers lacking travel or having give, etc. I reckon it'd take a skilled engineer (and/or maybe some fancy tools) to assemble one to the same standard as a bought controller.

Not to discourage you! ;)

I'm not looking for used parts. I'm looking for parts suppliers that sell the actual buttons and switches directly. You could buy brand new parts for your 360/PS3 controllers if you knew how to solder, which I do.

For example, this site sells the thumbsticks for Xbox One, but I have no idea what quality the parts are, or how reliable the site is in general.
http://www.westingames.com/Original...ts-for-XBOX-ONE-Controller-WRXON004_4333.html

It's not like Sony and Microsoft are designing the parts themselves. They should be available. I've even seen that the Xbox One thumbsticks have the same pinout and footprint as the 360 ones. I'm just having trouble finding a youtube vid for replacement where the person named their source.

your local game shop did not sell those? my local gameshop was selling those in PS1-PS2 era. i has not been looking since PS3 era.

if the design on dualshock 4 is the same, then it will need solder on a few big points (4) and a few small points (dont need to use needle-like tips, its not as small as soldering cpu contacts/traces)

The little rubbery covers on the analog sticks of the DS4 are cheap, always tear. It was the same with the DS3 as well.

I just ordered these to try out:

http://www.amazon.com/Pairs-Thumbstick-playstation-360-controller--9-colors/dp/B00AU0UDIY/ref=sr_1_fkmr1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1421714108&sr=8-1-fkmr1&keywords=ds4 thumbstick covers

Well the new models of DS4 sticks don't tear as much anymore (supposedly) but they are way too much slippery and also a bit small IMO.

Personally I use those thumbs grips that completely fix the 2 aforementioned problems of the originals (the convex ones are very grippy, I prefer them): http://www.amazon.com/Controller-Th...ation-4/dp/B00GH7UA32/ref=zg_bs_6427815011_50

Anyone done any controller repair in the past? I'm not talking about replacing the plastic thumbsticks, but the actual thumbstick switch/sensor (whatever you want to call it). I'm really hard on controllers, playing FIFA and NHL. I tend to wear the left thumbstick out, and I get drift. Seeing as controllers are really expensive, if someone had a reliable source for components, I could repair my own controllers because I have the soldering skills.

Maybe share sites for components for all platforms, if possible, so anyone else in the same boat will know where to look.

My Xone controller has been having issues. Stick drift. I guess I cant complain too much after 500+ hours of Destiny. Or can I? It's well less than a year old (bought my X1 in July 2014). Should I try to get it repaired under warranty or something?

Of course that would necessitate being without a controller for a bit, and that's not happening :) But at least I could buy a new one, and have a good 2nd one if they repair it.

Anyways, modern first party controller quality is something of a machining and engineering marvel in my eyes. So many tiny precise components and sensors, that must take a hefty beating, and still probably only have a BOM of $20 or something.

My Xone controller has been having issues. Stick drift. I guess I cant complain too much after 500+ hours of Destiny. Or can I? It's well less than a year old (bought my X1 in July 2014). Should I try to get it repaired under warranty or something?
Trying resetting the controller first. My neighbour's Xbox One controller went - in her words, "wacky" - necessitating a reset after which it's been fine.

Of course that would necessitate being without a controller for a bit, and that's not happening :) But at least I could buy a new one, and have a good 2nd one if they repair it.

Anyways, modern first party controller quality is something of a machining and engineering marvel in my eyes. So many tiny precise components and sensors, that must take a hefty beating, and still probably only have a BOM of $20 or something.

Is the stick loose? If you shake your controller can you hear something rattling inside?

Back