Console forum locked?

Welcome to Rage3D for console discussion... too much fanboy-ism, and I'm pretty sure you'll get banned quite fast. ;)

Rage is my home forum :)

I probably wouldn't visit the console forum if it was separate from the main B3D forums. Since I usually check the forums once a day it's convienient for me to click the show new posts link and scan the topics from every forum.

Maybe instead of locking a forum the mods can mark it with a worthless bickering icon so the rest of us will know not to bother reading it. That way those that seem to like bickering can continue, leaving them less time to disrupt other threads.

Mod's attention button

Dave,

Is it possible to create a feature to notify mod's of posts that people have an issue with? I am not referring to the PM.

For example on www.whirlpool.net.au -> forum -> "go to any thread" -> look at a post and above "reply to this post" is a "herring" feature to alert the mods attention to the offending post.

This way the mod doesn't have to keep an eye on the forum 24x7. Its more self governed by the community. This feature can also be applied to other forum topics as well.

As for removing "Console Talk" forum its a bit heavy handed. You might believe its not the core focus or not a focus as all of this site, and you can do without it, but the heart of this site are the people that visits. Also who's to argue with you in this regard since it is *your* site, but in reality if the site is 3D graphics focused, then anything that is pushing/relating to 3D graphics should be included. Personally, I only came here from day one was due to "Console Talk".

A side story: I was once told a story by a lecturer of mine teaching a 3D graphics subject. I don't remember the name of the story, but is about a 3D object landing in a 2D world and trying to get the 2D objects (entities of this world) to understand/comprehend him (this alien 3D entity). I other words its difficult for the 2d entities to think out side the norm or square from what they're used to.

The moral of this story is 2D objects can't (or found it very difficult to) think "Beyond 2D". The irony of this site's name is we as a community can't think beyond our own bickering, not to say try to think "Beyond3D"!

If there are trolls that starts offending threads, then those that respond only adds fuel to the fire!

My 0.5 cents

Some people are making the ban/moderation issue more complicated than it really is. To the current mods (jvd and Sonic): who the hell cares what people have to say about you? You shouldn't, but you're taking things like that a little too much to heart. It should not interfere with doing your job here. If a select few don't agree with the actions you take that fall under the category of doing your job, TOUGH. They should deal or leave. Your actions should not need exhaustive explanations because anyone who actually knows and understands the rules (requirement to be able to post here) can figure it out for themself.

The people that know the rules and actually follow the rules don't seem to have any problems here whatsoever either. I've never seen a problem arise with the stronger posters that contribute to the console board. If much more stricter rules (police state) have to be put in place to weed out the loose baggage then I'm all for it. The whiners and complainers can do so elsewhere. A very strict police state isn't going to run off posters that can actually abide by rules (ie. it's not going to run off the better posters here). The board isn't a democracy. Some higher-ups are worrying too much about what people think. Set specific rules in place, enforce them, and be done with it. It's Dave's board and he entrusts a group of people to help him keep it under control. None of them should have any problem saying (with regards to the rules) "It's my way or the highway."

I contact Dave or Reverend if there is an offensive and very rude post.

Dave doesn't answer. I do believe he gets the message but he doesn't edit the post. He may send a warning.

I don't know how Dave operates, maybe Dave can tell us how he handles these things?

Keep in mind Dave is very busy and with the hundreds of e-mails a day about rude/offensive posts it may take him 100 years to respond. :LOL:

In reality it isn't funny though, you'd expect adults to conduct themselves accordingly. :?
I've seen children conduct themselves better than some very few posters on these forums.

I don't believe these problems that occured in the console forum were from hundreds of childish users, most likely it's because of 1 or 2 (maybe even 5).

I do believe that Beyond3D mods/admins should really start to crack down really hard but it seems they either don't have the time or are too soft.

I don't believe that it's the latter. Just take a look at some of Reverend's posts in this thread. Very aggressive indeed. Now you know why I'm so touchy about pissing him off.

When Reverend and Dave have the time to act I believe we will see some final, serious and long awaited changes.

*- off topic -*
Deepak mind reducing your sig size ?

Removing the pic and the table would be nice.

randycat99:

> It's the quality of the actions that I am trying to distinguish between jvd
> and Sonic.

Can you elaborate?

> I, for one, would like to know what Sonic's bias actually was?

Was? It is Sega/Xbox.

K.I.L.E.R:

> I contact Dave or Reverend if there is an offensive and very rude post.

Even if the post is made on the console board? And may I ask why you do it? Every time I hear about people who PM the mods I get images of little children running to a grown-up because someone made them cry :/

Cybamerc:
You can get as many images in your head as you like.

I couldn't care less, and why do you tell me your personal business which goes on inside your head? I don't know you well enough to have such discussions with you.
----------------------------------------------------------
Note to everyone else:
I don't send off hundreds of e-mails/PMs a day to Dave/Reverend. If I see something that is really out of sync, then I report it.

I leave the casual fanATIc vs nVIDIOT threads/posts alone.

I would very much appreciate it when the console section were to be re-opened. Like said before, it's not because of a few immature posters that an entire section has to be shut down. Of course, I understand that the current problems are to be solved, but locking the console forum isn't going to solve anything.

Was? It is Sega/Xbox.

What a crock of crap. Sonic and JVD are good mods, they aren't biased and try to moderate things fairly. I honestly don't blame them for shutting that forum down, because a few of the people here just don't have the ability to appricieate anything.

See, even here some people are actually silly enough to get into this "bias" bullcrap. I guess it really is a hopeless cause. oh well...

Aye, it's always the same people too. Well I certianly think sonic and jvd did a great job considering what they have to put up with. I know where they are coming from, as being a mod isn't nearly as enjoyable when dealing with childish BS.

It really pissed me off to see that stupid thread by chap accusing sonic of being biased, and now some people have the balls to come in this thread and continue it. Why is it that people wonder why that forum is looked down on?

Qroach said:
Aye, it's always the same people too. Well I certianly think sonic and jvd did a great job considering what they have to put up with. I know where they are coming from, as being a mod isn't nearly as enjoyable when dealing with childish BS.

It really pissed me off to see that stupid thread by chap accusing sonic of being biased, and now some people have the balls to come in this thread and continue it. Why is it that people wonder why that forum is looked down on?

Because the people haven't waken up yet. Bias ??? The mods have been working rather well IMHO when they performed as moderators.

Qroach said:

Was? It is Sega/Xbox.

What a crock of crap. Sonic and JVD are good mods, they aren't biased and try to moderate things fairly. I honestly don't blame them for shutting that forum down, because a few of the people here just don't have the ability to appricieate anything.

Wake up there, slick! I asked that because I myself doubted he had a bias. I feel he has handled his duties with utmost professionalism and objectivity. Someone else here implied he had a bias, so I was calling them out as to exactly what sort of bias they were speaking of.

Apparently you haven't been reading carefully, as well, as you missed the part where jvd outright declared he has a bias. So your remarks above are indeed "a crock of crap", with all due respect.

Qroach:

> Sonic and JVD are good mods, they aren't biased...

An interesting comment considering that jvd admitted he is biased in this very thread. Anyone who can make excuses for Sonic after his comment in the Outrun 2 thread must have an agenda himself.

Yep, this thread has gone in a direction that certainly won't help the cause of the console forum. :rolleyes:

Back