Carnivors need your advice

Davros

Legend
My local supermarket has started selling some new burgers
Venison, Ostrich, Kangaroo and Crocodile
Has anyone tasted any of the above ?

I hear croc taste kind of like chicken - which makes sense I guess since farm-raised crocs are fed chickens from what I've seen. :) Ostrich is kind of like a really, really big (and kind of mean) chicken, so it probably tastes chicken-y too.

Venison is hairy, four-legged chicken with red meat, which should not taste very much like chicken. So if you don't like chicken, go with that one. ;)

Venison and ostrich are gorgeous red meats. Bit like beef but much smoother and tastier. Venison especially is quite the delicacy.
Croc tastes like chicken.
Never tried kangaroo.

Haha! Iceland is the best. Why eat fresh food when you can stock your freezer with shit and never have to go to the shop for the next month??

In my experience:

- Crocodile tastes like fish
- Venison is close to beef/cow, perhaps a bit sweeter and harder generally. I'd say venison is a mid term between cow and horse meat. The fact that is harder means we use it mostly for stews.
- Ostrich is even closer to beef/cow. The resemblance is IMO enormous, just like cow but with less fat. Ostrich used to be sold in supermarkets here and my mom used to trick her friend guests into thinking it was beef. (No harm was ever done, we have no religious/cultural limitations on what we eat and people were always pleasantly surprised with the revelation.)

I tried crocodile in Panama, where they caught the animals that were free-roaming in a river. Those crocodiles fed exclusively on fish, so my experience could be very different from someone trying crocodiles that feed on chicken.

Last edited by a moderator:
How about crocodile meat that eats people? What about if I ate some wild carnivorous animal with a friend and the friend says that it tasted like human......

Judging by the smell emanated when someone gets a high-degree burn, I'd say that humans would probably taste like pork.
Which makes sense, since we're both omnivores.

The cannibals of Polynesia used to refer to people as "Long Pig" because we apparently taste just like porkers.

You know what they test anti-personnel weapons on? Pig carcasses. A pig of equivalent mass to a human has pretty much the same organ size so probably a sensible (not just cheap) choice.

Roasted human belly would only taste like bacon if you cured it first. Otherwise it would taste like pork belly. Yum yum. :)

Roasted human belly would only taste like bacon if you cured it first. Otherwise it would taste like pork belly. Yum yum. :)
Considering all the crap people eat, I'm not sure we'd taste quite like pork, TBH... :p Also, generally bad idea to eat too much of carnivorous animals these days, considering environmental toxins and whatnot that concentrate upwards in the food chain. Not to mention, the risk of prionic disease, of course...

Considering all the crap people eat, I'm not sure we'd taste quite like pork, TBH... [emoji14] Also, generally bad idea to eat too much of carnivorous animals these days, considering environmental toxins and whatnot that concentrate upwards in the food chain. Not to mention, the risk of prionic disease, of course...
That's why we shall eat them while they're young...

Back