Ps4/Xbox one overclock

Status
Not open for further replies.

London Geezer

Legend
Supporter
Hello guys!
It is possible ps4/Xbox one receive a overclock by update software?
We know xbox was receive a overclock in the gpu , CPU in the begining!
To catch ps4 performance...
The ps4 has lower CPU and gpu clock!
It is possible sony or Ms keeping blocked performance, for the future?
Maybe the consoles can handle a overclock to 900 MHz in gpu and 1.8 ghz on the CPU!
It is possible that they are build to do it, in the near future!
What do you think?

1. Why?
2. PS4 already kicks up those vents under normal conditions, I can't think what might happen to the little thing after overlocking it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello guys!
It is possible ps4/Xbox one receive a overclock by update software?
We know xbox was receive a overclock in the gpu , CPU in the begining!
To catch ps4 performance...
The ps4 has lower CPU and gpu clock!
It is possible sony or Ms keeping blocked performance, for the future?
Maybe the consoles can handle a overclock to 900 MHz in gpu and 1.8 ghz on the CPU!
It is possible that they are build to do it, in the near future!
What do you think?

Possible but all consoles have not been tested to run at the clock rate so it could cause a lot of damage which isn't worth it.

Doubt it. These machines will undergo hundreds of thousands of hours of testing to ensure they remain within an acceptable failure rate. Messing around with the clocks at this stage is highly unlikely.

Presumably it would be only be overclocked for games going forward?

Possible in the theoretical sense, probably.
Given the realities of all that went into implementing validating the designs at their current specs, and the risk of violating those assumptions or the possible waste of validating beyond the released specs, it seems doubtful.

One other possible counterpoint is that the chip provider, AMD, has an interest in making sure its customers can't do this after the fact without paying for the privilege. They could fix the various multipliers by blowing the necessary fuses before shipping the chips.

Ok
But if they have think about the future?
They know the consoles are obsolete in 3/4 years!
It's logical if they unleast somme power in the middle of the generation!
The devs already know who consoles works, and with more power they will be grateful!
We know the consoles doesn't match a computer.
We can se the difference with a computer!
The problems with resolution, fps ...
(Worst for Xbox one)
I know with optimization it's gonna best...
But the games have a evolution to..
If they have think about a bost in the middle of the generation, make sense...

It's entirely possible that the chips have been verified to work under minor upclocks, although we don't really know the specifics. Even if it wouldn't cause a significant number of failures, there might be other reasoning to keep them where they are. Sony and Microsoft don't choose "low" clocks just to spite their customers.

They know the consoles are obsolete in 3/4 years!
The sense in which that's true won't be meaningfully swayed by a 10% upclock.

Now all across the internet there will be murmurs of s secret turbo mode for the Xbox1 and PS4 APU's.

In all likelihood it's not worth the risk if there's even a 1 to 2% failure rate with the consoles. The way complaints are magnified these days it could end up being devastaing to either Sony or MS. It's pretty awesome MS did increase the clock speed before launch of the console.

Performance being locked isn't necessarily a terrible thing either, certainly fun to joke about Oc'ing however. Especially in Xbox's case since the gpu clock also ties in with it's largest source of bandwidth, it just might be fun to see how high that X1 can go water-cooled.

I'm not sure how long this generation should be lasting, but things will be moving faster than last generation.
We will be seeing more movement into different rendering techniques, we should be seeing more usage of compute, cloud compute, some VR. The performance of both consoles today leveraging yesterdays techniques are not a solid indicator of their performance in the future.

lastly, imo graphics prowess only really matters at the AAA big budget area, but for medium sized game companies and indies, where production values on assets aren't through the roof both consoles can serve their respective games quite well.

I'm sure MS/Sony validated all chips only at the speeds for which they shipped. So, 853/800 and 1.75/1.6. To validate them for higher than they shipped would have been completely pointless. They would have just shipped at that higher speed to begin with.

Anything over that will cause some percentage to fail, not to mention overheating possibility...can you imagine if just one fire started anywhere because of that?

If they have think about a bost in the middle of the generation, make sense...

...please tell me what would you do if after 2 years (warranty off) your XB/PS gets OCed by the manufacturer and it blows up.
Warranty is off.
--->class action.

Business world (especially one that moves billions $/year) is just a bit more complex than fancy console war...

Even AMD's salvage parts (260, 270, 280 all none 'X') have boost frequencies of 925 mHz (edit: or higher).

Hitting these frequencies would seem to be easy for just about any TSCM GCN parts. However, two very big problems are 1) can the hardware supply the additional power it was never intended to 2) as others have already pointed out, if only 0.1% of chips can't scale in frequency and start to crap out, you're stuffed.

MS and Sony would be able to calculate what the risks were, if they were so inclined. I'm guessing they're not so inclined.

Other considerations would be that the PS4 doesn't have the cooling headroom, and the Xbox One is already having problems with main memory BW (meaning the effectiveness of any frequency increase would be limited).

Would still like to see it though, just because ....

Last edited:
Why boost frequencies when it's easier to stop reserving resources at any rate.

Nice to see MS giving some back (hopefully they give back all the 7th core eventually and all GPU resources) - still waiting for them to get over their 3GB memory reserve though.

As a PS4 gamer, I cannot wait for Sony to follow suit, maybe we need the hackers to get hold of their latest SDK to see whats going on.

Even AMD's salvage parts (260, 270, 280 all none 'X') have boost frequencies of 925 mHz.

Hitting these frequencies would seem to be easy for just about any TSCM GCN parts. However, two very big problems are 1) can the hardware supply the additional power it was never intended to 2) as others have already pointed out, if only 0.1% of chips can't scale in frequency and start to crap out, you're stuffed.

MS and Sony would be able to calculate what the risks were, if they were so inclined. I'm guessing they're not so inclined.

Other considerations would be that the PS4 doesn't have the cooling headroom, and the Xbox One is already having problems with main memory BW (meaning the effectiveness of any frequency increase would be limited).

Would still like to see it though, just because ....
but those are discrete parts.... i'd like to see how a kaveri would clock but they are 4 cpus and 6 CUs max??

Surely the question is, if the machines could be clocked faster, wouldn't they have been clocked faster at launch? ;)

The only reason for an upclock would be if Sony (or whoever) decided their machine was competitively disadvantaged and needed to get faster to compete and make more sales. With the upclock would come a cost, one that, at launch, was decided to be too expensive (otherwise it'd have happened before launch...). If the company wasn't willing to spend out on a 50 MHz faster GPU at launch, they certainly won't be interested in the increased price of that speed and failed hardware + returns + Nerd Outrage. Unless they were desperate. But another 10% GPU wouldn't make the difference between success and failure anyway.

So, theoretically, conceptually possible, but totally unrealistic and inordinately unlikely. 900 MHz GPU and 1.8 GHz CPU would have been the release specs if it was going to happen.

Does anyone know if the Jaguars in laptops are passively cooled at 1.6, or do they always require a fan? I ask because we see much higher clocked mobile CPUs that are passively cooled. Granted their performance is likely to be much lower, but it makes you wonder whether mobile (or Jaguar) CPUs that don’t normally require a fan could actually be clocked a lot higher when used with one.

I can’t help but think that Sony could also release either one or both of their reserved CPUs for games if they were so inclined. I have to say that I preferred the Xbox 360’s menu when you pressed the Xbox button; it gave me everything I needed while I’m in a game and took a lot less time to setup parties, etc. I suspect I’m in the minority when I say that I don’t require game suspend, multitasking, and full OS access. Sony could knock the ball out of the park and prevent MS from ever catching up if they simply released all of their reservations to the game – no overclocks would ever be necessary. The Xbox One actually makes much better use of the reservations with Snap, etc. so quite why Sony are holding so tight to their reserved memory and CPU cores (+ some GPU time?) remains a mystery.

wasn´t the turbo mode, whatever it´s called, just broken on the jaguars??
All the power-management features not fully released until puma?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back