News & Rumors: Xbox One (codename Durango)

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is interesting: Phil writes there are innovations in gaming beyond graphics and physics coming this generation from lots of companies. I suppose part of that would be VR/AR but i am interested to see if there was more innovation maybe much improved AI??

https://twitter.com/xboxp3/status/547281482566213633
Cloud (Azure) for PC games? I would think if the VR/AR is true, it would be better served at E3? Unless the device it better served first by gaming rigs, and would help them tie into "Our PC gaming" initiative. Anyway, if the device is real and ready, I could not see a release outside of September-November.

Some interesting tidbits:

Techland’s upcoming zombie survival open world game, Dying Light is already confirmed to be running at 1080p and locked 30 frames per second on both the PS4 and Xbox One. So was Dying Light using the latest Xbox One SDK update to achieve this performance boost on Microsoft’s console?

“We were using the latest version just prior to the new release that came out on December 12th. In terms of advantages, the main thing is just how much the ESRAM control has improved,” Lead Game Designer Maciej Binkowski said to GamingBolt.

“The new API allows you to do a lot more with the ESRAM, things devs have always wanted to do but were not easily accessible. This together with better tools (PIX) allowed us to really improve performance and tweak ESRAM usage,” he added.
http://gamingbolt.com/xbox-one-dece...am-control-new-api-improves-esram-performance

Someone @ neogaf said the SDK update freed a CPU core reserved for snap and gave it back to game developers.. obviously, grain of salt on that..

Some interesting tidbits:

Someone @ neogaf said the SDK update freed a CPU core reserved for snap and gave it back to game developers.. obviously, grain of salt on that..

snap is pretty slow as it is imo. Decoding a movie in media player snapped while playing games is not a feat that the X1 can accomplish. TV works fine as a passthrough however. To figure this one out, we'd have to believe that MS would be willing to dedicate a single core to snap, and a single core to the rest of the OS.

The Jan 21 event will include a few tidbits regarding the Xbox service (ie. Live) integration into Windows 10 on PC and Phone. Not about console.

So.. Here's a pretty stupid question.

Where is everybody buying their digital downloads from? If you buy them directly from MS through the Xbox interface, you're paying MSRP unless there's a Deals w/ Gold sale and I've been non-plussed by most of those.

Obviously, there's lots of sales on physical media all the time, but I'd rather not purchase any more discs than I already have with MCC and GTA V, and I only did those physical because I had no choice. MCC was a "free game" with system purchase, and the GTA V was a trade-in from last gen.

So, where do you go to buy digital product keys that have somewhat similar sale prices to that of Best Buy, etc.. on physical discs?

Thanks

I buy space cash from CDKeys or Amazon so you get about a fiver (UK) off your average AAA title.

I found a fair few titles in sales but I have little self control for big releases and buy more day 1 releases than I have time to play them.

The pain of being weak-willed is lessened by having a share buddy though. We alternate purchases. Got a spreadsheet of spend and everything.

You need a reliable friend to share with of course. Works on X1 and PS4.

I buy space cash from CDKeys or Amazon so you get about a fiver (UK) off your average AAA title.

CDKeys actually has digital download codes and sales, but I'm leery of them because I'm confused by their pricing. For example, they have Sunset Overdrive digital code on sale for $36.19 (which is a strange enough price), but it says the regular price for that is $75.41. What? My Firefox location indicates the website is in the US, so I imagine that the currency is USD, but how'd they get $75.41?

Sure, it's cheaper than the MS Store that is selling the digital copy for $59.99, so I guess it's still a good deal.. it's just odd. And all of their games seem to be oddly priced. I can't find a single $59.99 game discounted to something else anywhere on their website.

CDKeys actually has digital download codes and sales, but I'm leery of them because I'm confused by their pricing. For example, they have Sunset Overdrive digital code on sale for $36.19 (which is a strange enough price), but it says the regular price for that is $75.41. What? My Firefox location indicates the website is in the US, so I imagine that the currency is USD, but how'd they get $75.41?

Sure, it's cheaper than the MS Store that is selling the digital copy for $59.99, so I guess it's still a good deal.. it's just odd. And all of their games seem to be oddly priced. I can't find a single $59.99 game discounted to something else anywhere on their website.

You can buy Xbox One digital games on Amazon here & GameStop here. Another way would be to trade in your physical games at GameStop and convert the in-store credit to Microsoft/Xbox giftcard code. It can be in any amount & the code is right on the receipt. BTW, trading games is not required. So you you could just tell them exact amount you need on the giftcard code, but since you're wanting to get digital games cheaper than MSRP trading games in will help you reduce that some. Being a PowerUps Rewards members helps with trade-ins too. BTW, if you're not finding the Console Deals subreddit not helping that much I highly recommend the Cheap Ass Gamer forum.

Tommy McClain

If you have at target near you , you also get 5% off gift cards . So we buy MS points from there and then wait for sales.

Could they be adding some kind of purchase tax?

Last year there was a really good deal from Newegg where you could by MS gift cards for 20% off. Combined with decent Xbox game sales, you get a pretty good deal off standard MSRP. Granted, if you want a game on day one, there's not much you can do.

I just suck it up, I absolutely do not want to deal with discs ever again.

If you have at target near you , you also get 5% off gift cards . So we buy MS points from there and then wait for sales.

That 5% off is for using the Target red card charge/debit thing?

I just suck it up, I absolutely do not want to deal with discs ever again.

Agreed. Discs are one of the most annoying aspects of console play, sometimes I actually find myself thinking "I could play MCC right now.." but don't want to get up and swap discs so I'll play something else instead. Lol.

I'll have to check on Newegg, it just seems annoying that in order to get discounts you have to jump through hoops.

I also find it very strange that when you order things through the MS Store, they are physical discs. So even when they give you $20 gift cards and such as preorder bonuses for discounts, you still have to deal with the disc. I was looking for a deal on Dying Light and the best one seems to be from the MS store, but I don't want another disc!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back