Apple A8 and A8X

I also noticed that slipping issue with my mom's 6+. I much prefer holding the 4S, but I suppose that'd be too thick & heavy scaled up to 6+ size.

I loved my 4S and it's probably the best looking iPhone to date, but the screen is just way too small, especially for my hands. It's so funny, before I caved in I was waiting for an iPhone Nano as I thought it's too big ;) well my base line was the non-smart Nokias at that time. But the 6 is probably the right size, most of the time it's still good for one-handed use but the text is more easily readable (I still don't wear glasses) and typing is better.

Also agree about looking better naked :) My sister got me a carbon freeze Han Solo case, which is as cool as it gets - but the phone looks rather bland in it, and so much better without. But it does feel like it's going to drop any minute. Maybe it's too thin or maybe it's the rounded sides, or the materials...

Yes, iP6 is better with one hand operation (just barely small enough). I also think it's the ideal size (bu.. bu... but extra battery life and screen space !).

I bought a case for the iP6 when I got it to try out. Decided to keep the 6+ naked. The case adds too much bulk and doesn't feel right.

It seems to me that pretty much every modern phone is somewhat lacking in 'grippability', with the move towards especially thin devices making things even worse.

I don't buy high-end devices but have needed to use a case with my last 3 phones (not my preference), simply to ensure I am less likely to drop them!

My young niece got a Lumia 735 for Christmas. Nice phone, but I bought her a case as a present because it was too 'slippery' to hand without one!

I only have one gripe with the iphone6. Approximately 10% of the tme I take it out of my trouser pocket (no cover), I find the silent/mute switch has been activated. I am seriously considering buying a cover solely to solve this issue.

My 6+ has served me well so far for browsing, scheduling, messaging/communicating, photography, navigating, content playback, and for much of what I need it overall. The lack of an extra gigabyte of RAM has been noticeable to me, however, as I expected... one of those inexplicably poor decisions Apple make sometimes. They've finally made some software design improvements that help mitigate it a bit, like putting the text you were typing back into a text box in Safari if the browser is forced to reload the page due to memory eviction (unless that was a feature of the website forum I was visiting... hmmm...).

However, the refinement of Safari and the OS overall, especially for the 6+, is still pretty weak, with easily discoverable and reproducible bugs such as a lack of touchscreen responsiveness after changing display orientation that somehow made it past QA and still haven't been fixed. Nothing deal breaking, but annoying.

Is there a way to change the landscape keyboard? So that you don't have the function keys on the side?

Or do you have to get a 3rd party keyboard?

Ummm guys..all this is really way off topic..this is supposed to be about the A8 and A8X..and we are B3D after all so lets keep the discussion relevant :D Maybe you could start another thread in the appropriate forum for this discussion?

http://www.macrumors.com/2015/01/14/apple-diversifies-arm-chips-macs/

Interesting rumours from Ming-Chi Kuo, who apparently is fairly accurate with these things, on Apple's chip production plans.

From now on TSMC and Samsung/Globalfoundries will split production with one producing the base A9/A10 and the other producing the larger A9X/A10X variant. Are CPU/GPU designs readily portable across foundries or will this mean the Ax and AxX variants become more distinct as each are optimized for their individual production process? He's also rumouring that the AxX will find it's way into Macs.

Reportedly even though it's launching in 2015, the S1 in the Apple Watch is made on Samsung 28 nm and not TSMC 20 nm. The S2 in 2016 will use TSMC 20 nm so it looks like Apple S series SoC will always be one process generation behind the A series. Still no word on what is actually inside the SoC, whether it's reusing previous A series CPU/GPU designs or whether it's actually completely custom.

Intel/Infineon, which hasn't been used since the iPhone 4 days, will apparently start picking up baseband orders in 2016 to supplement Qualcomm. I suppose it's more likely that Intel's basebands will be used on the iPads and iPhones will remain Qualcomm rather than mixed suppliers within an individual iPhone or iPad model.

I'm obviously looking at just the process numbers, but does it make sense to move from 14 FF to 16 FF+ for the iPhones? Also I'm surprised that 10 FF is scheduled for so early.

Where did you get that from. Their modems are TSMC made.
I know but the table in the article is a complete mess: it mixes foundries and design houses in the "Order allocation" columns. So if you read it quickly you'd conclude Qualcomm will fab 70% of the baseband in 2016 and Intel 30%.

http://www.macrumors.com/2015/01/14/apple-diversifies-arm-chips-macs/

Interesting rumours from Ming-Chi Kuo, who apparently is fairly accurate with these things, on Apple's chip production plans.

From now on TSMC and Samsung/Globalfoundries will split production with one producing the base A9/A10 and the other producing the larger A9X/A10X variant. Are CPU/GPU designs readily portable across foundries or will this mean the Ax and AxX variants become more distinct as each are optimized for their individual production process? He's also rumouring that the AxX will find it's way into Macs.

This rumour has been floating around for quite a while and I've already posted it on the previous page ;) From what I've read, Samsung 14FF is ahead of schedule and lower power than the initial 16FF from TSMC and which is why Apple chose Samsung for the A9 (Pricing and availability would have also figured in the decision of course). And then for the higher performance, larger form-factor A9X, Samsung chose 16 FF(+) from TSMC. Now we still dont know if this is true of course but like you, I also question if this makes sense to do across different foundries.

About Macs, I would not be surprised to see an AxX chip in a future Macbook Air or a future Surface 3 type competitor from Apple.
Reportedly even though it's launching in 2015, the S1 in the Apple Watch is made on Samsung 28 nm and not TSMC 20 nm. The S2 in 2016 will use TSMC 20 nm so it looks like Apple S series SoC will always be one process generation behind the A series. Still no word on what is actually inside the SoC, whether it's reusing previous A series CPU/GPU designs or whether it's actually completely custom.

I highly doubt the S1 would be reusing existing A series designs as these would not be low power enough. Likely to be a low power Cortex A7 based design like Samsung and Mediatek.
I'm obviously looking at just the process numbers, but does it make sense to move from 14 FF to 16 FF+ for the iPhones? Also I'm surprised that 10 FF is scheduled for so early.
Make sense in what way? They are both marketing terms remember..both are essentially just 20nm with FINFET.

TSMC's schedule for 10FF is very aggressive..but even then I think high volume production in 2016 sounds too optimistic. Doubt we will see it before 2017 IMHO.

I don't have an iPhone 6 yet but I think the situation is a bit different compared to iPhone 4 vs 3GS as iPhone 4's resolution is exactly twice of 3GS.No?

Back