News & Rumours: Playstation 4/ Orbis *spin*

Status
Not open for further replies.
They could make a "plus" model covering whole console top and allowing several hdds in RAID :devilish:
Now that would indeed be wacky, but it wouldn't do us much good, not with the SATA interface sitting hooked up via a USB3 bridge (which is wackier still - why the hell would Sony do such a thing? I'm totally at a loss.)

I wonder why they did that. Could it be more costly to add sata on the SB? Or maybe sata needs another process which would have messed with the SB low power needs? Maybe some patents or licensing costs? Time to market delay for adding sata?

By itself, the fujitsu bridge in the PS4 is pretty good, it was benchmarked at 390MB/s. However with games loading benchmarks on PS4, an SSD doesn't get anywhere near that speed improvement, so there's a bottleneck elsewhere. Also if we compare the install time and level loading time between XB1 (direct sata) and PS4 (usb3 bridge) for the same third party games, with or without SSD, it becomes obvious that the bridge isn't a primary factor in I/O performance on these consoles. Something else is going on.

Maybe it is related to the background processor and apu's need to share access. USB may have had some advantages there.

Eurogamer has an interesting article on the Nyko's Data Bank, an adaptor that fits on to the PS4 and allows the insertion of a 3.5" HDD, meaning you can drop in a higher capacity drive like 4Tb or the new 6Tb drives.

jpg

It looks wacky but I'm definitely interested.

Ah... I place my PS4 vertically. That HDD end is actually PS4's top, so it will become top heavy.

Isn't the logo would be covered by the enclosure?

There's a printed one on the glossy cover (which would be obscured/removed by this new cover).
There's another one behind, etched into the case.

If you keep the ports pointing in the same direction (coz the power source and hifi stack are there), and flip the unit, the logo behind will appear upside down at the top half of the unit.

Last edited:
there's a logo behind the unit?
i wonder why they bothered placing logo there :/

but i do love the way sony put logos in PS4. Very very understated clean :D makes me remember PS2 Slim awesome design.

there's a logo behind the unit?
i wonder why they bothered placing logo there :/

but i do love the way sony put logos in PS4. Very very understated clean :D makes me remember PS2 Slim awesome design.

It's designed to stand vertically and horizontally. You can see the case and logo from different sides depending on your setup.

PS3 is similar, but it doesn't have the official logo behind. It has a large SKU label, spelling out Playstation 3, there.

Xbox One doesn't need a logo behind because vertical positioning is not supported. No one will ever see the bottom.

EDIT: Standing the PS4 upside down may have air-flow implications me think.

Last edited:
Maybe it's the optical drive. I don't know, it might have support hardware for only one orientation.

I don't know about the current optical drive, but PS1 can run and even required to run in various orientation! I run PS1 sideways, tilted to any degree imaginable. I can't remember if I have ever run PS1 upside down, but definitely tilted the drive facing down.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back